Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Umami, glutamates, nucleotides, Dan, Kenji, and my End-of-life secret

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,429
Over a decade ago (maybe two) I read a Cook's Illustrated article about umami, the fifth taste.  What really caught my eye was the TWO things that contributed to Umami: Glutamates, but also Nucleotides.  AND, if they were both present in a dish, they multiplied their effect up to twenty times.  They did a bunch of testing and arrived at a general ratio of 1 tsp of porcini mushroom powder, and a tsp of fish sauce, which supplied the right amount of both and just shot into the stratosphere the umami of any soup, sauce, chili, casserole, etc that you could make (this happens naturally, in delicious things like cheeseburgers and Japanese Dashi).  
I tried it, on several dishes.  And it became my go-to.  Every dish I made with this, made my mouth water even on the last spoonful.  I tried to find that article years later, and couldn't (it must've been a sidebar or something).  I did see this video a couple years ago, but a Search didn't see it on this site.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8BXYIZ_7sE

Dan/Kenji's comparison taste-off was more a comparison of MSG vs salt, not Gluts vs. Nucs; but it did remind me of my "secret ingredient".  I'm sure I kept it quiet, as I'm selfish and had grandeur images of me winning chili and barbeque contests nationwide, with young nubile things piling up at my feet, asking me to sign my Time cover, as I brought home the Gold.  But, it hurts my knees to stand up on concrete that long, so I decided instead to spread my secret nugget of brilliance with my Egg forum friends.  Give it a try, a tsp of glutamates and a tsp of nucleotides (or their real food equivalents, the video has a very useful chart), and see if I'm right. Enjoy.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    @Botch do we need to do a wellness check?  This is like end of life planning.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    @Botch, that was very interesting!  Any particular brand of porcini powder you prefer?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks for the tip. I occasionally add fish sauce to Indian dishes, and   will try the porcini powder now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I have never used porchini powder, I do use fish sauce and msg.  I also use oyster sauce if I want some funk too.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Botch
    Langner91 said:
    @Botch, that was very interesting!  Any particular brand of porcini powder you prefer?
    I bought a 1-lb can from Amazoid by "Asiago Foods", and still have 2/3rds of it left.  I didn't see it just now, at least in the first three pages; I'm sure they're all about the same thing (I did see a container of porcini-infused duck fat, tossed that into my cart!).  I was also intrigued by the large container of dried assorted mushrooms from Costco, that would be nice to have around.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I wonder if Mikee will eventually share his pizza dough recipe…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2022
    I wonder if Mikee will eventually share his pizza dough recipe…
    Nope.  He even said he wouldn't share it with his own kids.  That is going to his grave and the world will be poorer for it.  I don't think anyone besides him has even tasted it.  I imagine it is like Papa Murphy's.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Have you tried Marmite @Botch ?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Legume said:
    We buy Marmite by the case load. Marmite on toast is the bomb!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Legume said:

Marmite vs Vegemite - FIGHT!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Legume said:
    what else do you use it for, do you cook with it?  use it as a condiment with other things?
  • johnmitchell
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:

Marmite vs Vegemite - FIGHT!
    I have an Aussie buddy and we goad each other all the time😂😂Marmite for the win!!!
  • johnmitchell
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    what else do you use it for, do you cook with it?  use it as a condiment with other things?
    For us it’s just a condiment 
  • Langner91
    Botch said:
    Langner91 said:
    I bought a 1-lb can from Amazoid by "Asiago Foods", and still have 2/3rds of it left.  I didn't see it just now, at least in the first three pages; I'm sure they're all about the same thing (I did see a container of porcini-infused duck fat, tossed that into my cart!).  I was also intrigued by the large container of dried assorted mushrooms from Costco, that would be nice to have around.  
    Thanks, man.  I have been playing with these concepts for a while now. Thanks for reminding me to think about this before preparing old favorites!

I made a green bean casserole some time ago and added soy sauce.  It is like a different dish!  For the previous 30 years, it was only ever made with "cream of anything except mushroom" soup and no soy sauce.  Now that I am cooking for myself, I get to actually experiment!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Langner91 said:
    Botch said:
    Langner91 said:
    Thanks, man.  I have been playing with these concepts for a while now. Thanks for reminding me to think about this before preparing old favorites!

I made a green bean casserole some time ago and added soy sauce.  It is like a different dish!  For the previous 30 years, it was only ever made with "cream of anything except mushroom" soup and no soy sauce.  Now that I am cooking for myself, I get to actually experiment!
    Green been casserole is made with ONLY cream of mushroom soup and fried onions on top.  What you have been making for 30 years is most certainly not green bean casserole.  Sorry.
  • Botch
    I finally found (and converted) the .png file that I'd printed out and is inside a kitchen cupboard door, helps to figure out what to add for condiments without going to fish sauce/porcini (NTTAWWT):

• Langner91
    Langner91 said:
    Botch said:
    Langner91 said:

Green been casserole is made with ONLY cream of mushroom soup and fried onions on top.  What you have been making for 30 years is most certainly not green bean casserole.  Sorry.

Agreed, divorce is expensive for a reason.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    nice post !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    NDG said:
    nice post !!
    Agreed, great info, I have used anchovies for years ( soak in milk to desalinate ) people who "hate them" never know 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch said:
    I finally found (and converted) the .png file that I'd printed out and is inside a kitchen cupboard door, helps to figure out what to add for condiments without going to fish sauce/porcini (NTTAWWT):

Can’t I just make a grinder with Kombu and Bonito flakes and keep it next to the stove? 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Botch said:

Can’t I just make a grinder with Kombu and Bonito flakes and keep it next to the stove? 
    What do I do next?

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Botch
    @Botch - just wanted to say thanks for the porcini powder mention.  My wife is on a low sodium diet due to vertigo issues and I struggle at times to get the taste I want with certain dishes sans the salt.   I got some porcini powder about a week ago and it has helped immensely.  Thank You Sir!!
    Good to hear!   :)

• Botch said:

Excellent chart, thank you. FWIW I've always regarded Marmite much more highly than Vegemite, no surprise here.

Also, no surprise why so many foods contain "yeast-extract".