Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hows those gas prices

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Joe "don't F with me" Biden is set to drain yet another 15 million barrels from our oil piggy bank. Begging the OPEC gods didn't work so why not try to lower the gas price 2 cents before the elections....But lets see the snowflakes run to his defense,
    I can't help but think Chuck Palahniuk chuckles everytime he sees a particular subset of folks use the term snowflake.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2022
    Joe "don't F with me" Biden is set to drain yet another 15 million barrels from our oil piggy bank. Begging the OPEC gods didn't work so why not try to lower the gas price 2 cents before the elections....But lets see the snowflakes run to his defense,
    So let me get this straight- you are an uneducated blue collar guy working in the paper business who has never served in the armed forces or had a position of authority in your life and and yet you have full mastery of: vaccines, the global economy, global oil and commodity markets, international politics and conflict, military tactics, and reproductive/gender rights? Im shocked nobody has called you up to the bigs to tap into your wealth of “self-research”
    to save humanity. 

And I can’t tell you how privileged we all feel for you to be sharing this expansive knowledge you have with all of us on a barbecue forum. We are all smarter for having you here, sensei. 

Your qualifications seem (to an outsider like me) to be “I love guns , cruising conspiracy websites, and regurgitating what I watch on tv”. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I'm dying here.  Thanks, @The Cen-Tex Smoker!  :rofl:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Joe "don't F with me" Biden is set to drain yet another 15 million barrels from our oil piggy bank. Begging the OPEC gods didn't work so why not try to lower the gas price 2 cents before the elections....But lets see the snowflakes run to his defense,
    So let me get this straight- you are an uneducated blue collar guy working in the paper business who has never served in the armed forces or had a position of authority in your life and and yet you have full mastery of: vaccines, the global economy, global oil and commodity markets, international politics and conflict, military tactics, and reproductive/gender rights? Im shocked nobody has called you up to the bigs to tap into your wealth of “self-research”
    to save humanity. 

And I can’t tell you how privileged we all feel for you to be sharing this expansive knowledge you have with all of us on a barbecue forum. We are all smarter for having you here, sensei. 

Your qualifications seem (to an outsider like me) to be “I love guns , cruising conspiracy websites, and regurgitating what I watch on tv”. 

As the leader of this cabal, I approve this message.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Your qualifications seem (to an outsider like me) to be “I love guns , cruising conspiracy websites, and regurgitating what I watch on tv”. 

I forgot to add “dressing up and cosplaying like the people You wish you had the balls to be’” #fakeherocomplex 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    to save humanity. 

As the leader of this cabal, I approve this message.
    Thanks, god. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Legume said:
    I don’t have anything to add, but John yelled at me for not posting.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

If the price of hay has nearly doubled, why didn't they use the one from 2021, instead of saving it for a pic?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmchicago said:
    Legume said:
    I don’t have anything to add, but John yelled at me for not posting.

Come at the king… you best not miss.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:

If the price of hay has nearly doubled, why didn't they use the one from 2021, instead of saving it for a pic?

Wouldn't have the same impact if we couldn't show how the product is exactly the same but cost has almost doubled.

Karma farming ain't free.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Look at the bright side, this might allow @alaskanassasin to get the brakes on his combine fixed.   :)
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    caliking said:

Wouldn't have the same impact if we couldn't show how the product is exactly the same but cost has almost doubled.

Karma farming ain't free.
    Oh, I got that part. The "impact" is often about the yuks and the clicks. I do  appreciate that they included the encouragement to vote. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    This article from January 2022 regarding hay prices confused me. Clearly the reporter didn't do their research properly cuz not once did I see them blame Biden!!

Several factors pushing hay prices skyward

Abby Bauer, Senior Associate Editor
    5-6 minutes

The author is a senior associate editor for Hoard’s Dairyman.

Abby Bauer

Anyone purchasing feed for livestock knows that hay prices have been on an upward trajectory. In fact, the average alfalfa hay price reported by USDA-NASS for September 2021 was $209, the highest price ever reported for the month of September.

“That price is almost $40 ahead of the same time last year,” noted Mike Rankin, managing editor of Hay & Forage Grower magazine. During the November Hoard’s Dairyman webinar, Rankin shared a few factors that have pushed alfalfa hay prices to record levels.

A major player has been the production obstacles of the 2021 growing season. Rankin explained that some parts of the country experienced drought, and in the Northwest, excessive heat stymied hay growth, even on irrigated acres. Water restrictions for irrigation has been an obstacle in certain areas, and wildfires created smoke that lengthened drying times for some alfalfa producers.

On the flip side, other regions faced too much moisture, particularly in the mid-South. This creates another set of hay making challenges.

There have also been logistical challenges, whether hauling hay on land or by water. Rankin referenced both trucker shortages and ships sitting offshore waiting to be unloaded as hurdles of moving hay where it is needed. Inflated fuel and container prices are also adding to transportation costs.

Despite the shipping challenges facing the country right now, hay exports continue to be robust, particularly to China. “We still have strong numbers on the export side of things for alfalfa,” Rankin reiterated. Hay exports for 2021 were trending slightly ahead of 2020 levels, and exports to China were up 35%.

Meanwhile, retail crop input prices have soared. “This has a huge impact, not only when buying hay but also for producing hay,” Rankin said. “This is going to have a big impact on prices in 2022.”

Commodity prices have been high as well, and throughout his career, Rankin has seen a trend between the value of commodities and hay. “Any time we have high commodity prices, high hay prices generally follow,” he shared.

Monitor production costs

Rankin advised hay growers to push the pencil and analyze production inputs. “If growing your own forages, legume and manure nutrients are going to be more valuable this year than ever,” he said. “Make sure to take advantage of those, because the less commercial fertilizer you have to buy, the better off you will be.”

If soil test nutrient levels are high to excessive, Rankin said to keep in mind that there is a low probability for a yield response from additional purchased fertilizer. “That means you need good soil tests to make those types of decisions,” he advised, noting this is an input farms can save on if they have been banking some nutrients. “Target those fields that are high to excessive, and think about putting no commercial fertilizer or a lower amount on those fields this upcoming year,” he noted.

Still, he pointed out, “Nitrogen is always going to be a good buy, so don’t short your grass or corn crops in terms of nitrogen.” Be sure to take advantage of legume and manure credits, though.

“Higher fuel costs will impact all forage production activities,” Rankin continued. If you hire a custom operator, expect rates to rise, and of course, this impacts the cost of production if harvesting your own crops, too.

Rankin noted that preordering and prepaying may be more than a tax strategy this year; it might be a necessity to ensure the arrival of a product when you need it since the pipeline is slow.

Greater variation exists

As always, inventories and quality vary by region and state, but Rankin said there may be more disparity in 2021 due to all the variation in weather and growing conditions within the season. For example, water continues to be a big concern out West.

“Non-irrigated acres really took a hit in 2021,” Rankin said. “That’s where a lot of lower production will be seen.”

Rankin shared that both the U.S. dairy and beef herds were culled heavily in 2021, which may reduce demand to some degree, but it might not be enough to really impact forage prices.

Forecasts in late 2021 predicted alfalfa and alfalfa grass production to be down about 9% due to both lower yields and fewer acres, further limiting the hay supply. Combining all these factors, Rankin predicts that forages will continue to be more expensive to both purchase and produce for the short to mid-term.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    40 cent jump since monday

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    $3.19 at Costco here for 85
  • $3.49 here
  • fishlessman
    Legume said:

3.29 here at cosco but you are looking at a 2 hour round trip here stuck in traffic.  BP here is the insane station for prices, i can see that sign from work and its always a shock. there is no 85 here either, reg is 87
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume said:

3.29 here at cosco but you are looking at a 2 hour round trip here stuck in traffic.  BP here is the insane station for prices, i can see that sign from work and its always a shock. there is no 85 here either, reg is 87
    It varies, but most stations have 85, 87-88, 90-91.  It’s just an adjustment for the altitude, but Costco here doesn’t have a mid grade.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    was hoping it would have risen even higher for the weekend =)

fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    edited November 2022
    was hoping it would have risen even higher for the weekend =)

Yeah I don’t think any of us were under the illusion you started this thread because you were genuinely concerned about gas prices…

$3.39 at the BP here in Durham.
  • Legume
    $2.89 up the road in Longmont
  • fishlessman
    well actually its about 2k a month plus minus for me, most of which i cant charge much for
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited November 2022
    That is a he!! of a markup for the super...Delivering jet fuel??
    Around here it is upcharged $0.60 (over 87 octane) for 93 octane.  Dang-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    lousubcap said:
    That is a he!! of a markup for the super...Delivering jet fuel??
    Around here it is upcharged $0.60 (over 87 octane) for 93 octane.  Dang-

the next jump in price here should come in a week or two when we get the winter blend. double edge sword, price goes up while the mileage drops. that and to make john happy, another bump in price when the white house realizes they ran out of reserves =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Need about 70 gallons of kerosene  to fill the tank. Was under 4 bucks a gallon.  Looking like 12 to 14 bucks if I find it picking it up five gallons at a time. Got shut off for bigger deliveries at over 7 bucks locked in for bigger deliveries......damn
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    edited November 2022
    heating oil, a first world problem. kerosene price jumped from about 3.80 a gallon last year to 7 this year. can live with that but have not bought enough to get on the list. looking out of state and maybe even someone that heats a large house to buy from that will still get deliveries.  then hide it, i see kerosene getting sucked out of closed camp tanks at night this winter. they are talking 13 bucks a gallon if i can find a station that had a tank filled this year
    fukahwee maine