Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really OT I suppose…but supper or dinner?

Options
2»

Comments

• OxfordJaguar69
    Options
    Legume said:
    Great timing posting this after UK is mostly down for the night so they couldn’t f it up with “tea”

It’s always been dinner to me.
    Right, where to start.  Supper is quaint, not much used anymore, but we appreciate the ongoing tribute by those of you more historically orientated in the colonies.

Dinner has become popular in the south, spreading like a new std or tik tok challenge. This is possibly due to the tourists, inbreeding, and general loss of Englishness.

In the North, well, that’s the beating heart of England.  That’s where the good people still have tea.

Now, can we talk about chips?
    I love my eggs almost as I love my Jaguar.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Great timing posting this after UK is mostly down for the night so they couldn’t f it up with “tea”

It’s always been dinner to me.
    Right, where to start.  Supper is quaint, not much used anymore, but we appreciate the ongoing tribute by those of you more historically orientated in the colonies.

Dinner has become popular in the south, spreading like a new std or tik tok challenge. This is possibly due to the tourists, inbreeding, and general loss of Englishness.

In the North, well, that’s the beating heart of England.  That’s where the good people still have tea.

Now, can we talk about chips?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    My mother called the 5:00pm meal, that she prepared "Supper".

On Sunday or Holidays, if we ate a meal that she prepared earlier in the afternoon, it was referred to as "Dinner".  

Also, any time we went out for a meal after lunch, it was referred to as "Dinner".  

So, if she asked if you wanted to go to dinner, you knew that meant at a restaurant.  Or, if she said she was making "Dinner" on Sunday, you knew it was a special meal that took the place of lunch and supper.

We always had Thanksgiving dinner.  Not Thanksgiving supper.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    It was supper growing up or at least that's what my mom called it. 

It's dinner here at my house. .

My mom also calls the TV remote a "clicker". So it's not all that strange when I hear my mom call lunch dinner.  =)

This is why it’s called a clicker. It clicks ha ha. We keep this one in the living room just to remind us of the good old days. 

And it’s dinner. 

our first one was hardwired to the tv, it activated a motor that turned the station dial. before that, i was the clicker. thank god there was only ten channels and not thousands

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:

This is why it’s called a clicker. It clicks ha ha. We keep this one in the living room just to remind us of the good old days. 
    You damn kids with your "clickers" and your "good old days"...

In the REAL old days Dad would order me to get off my wooden box and click the knob on the box TV, and then re-adjust the tinfoil on the wire clothes-hanger for the best picture (and hold it, if required).  

Damn kids.  

we got cable in 1999, wow was that nice
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:

My mom also calls the TV remote a "clicker". So it's not all that strange when I hear my mom call lunch dinner.  =)

And it’s dinner. 

our first one was hardwired to the tv, it activated a motor that turned the station dial. before that, i was the clicker. thank god there was only ten channels and not thousands

Wow. You are old!

😉
  • fishlessman
    Options
    WeberWho said:

And it’s dinner. 

Wow. You are old!

😉

but you never lost the clicker. how do you turn the tv off without one....pull the plug?  =)
    fukahwee maine

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    WeberWho said:

And it’s dinner. 

Wow. You are old!

😉

but you never lost the clicker. how do you turn the tv off without one....pull the plug?  =)
    There’s some truth to that. Personally, I can’t stand push-button ignition in cars for this very reason. A big step backwards, if you ask me. Instead of knowing where your keys are at all times (i.e., in the ignition), you’re stuck trying to remember where you placed them. Heaven help you if you’re changing drivers, as we sometimes to when shuttling the kids to and fro. Big risk of one of you taking off while the other still holds the keys. I yearn for the simpler days of old!
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 327
    Options
    Here's the definition of both and my opinion of why the differences

dinner

the main meal of the day, taken either around midday or in the evening

supper
    an evening meal, typically a light or informal one.

In the south, especially in the mid-20th century, dinner was usually served midday so they had the calories to go back out in the field to work. Supper was used for the evening meal as it was usually lighter in fare. 

Growing up in Alabama in the early 70s, dinner was always lunch and supper was for the evening. 

Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I show up for either.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,769
    Options
    WeberWho said:

And it’s dinner. 
    I found ( back in the day) with this style of remote, if you jiggled a chain it would change the channels on the TV , they worked off of a high Pitched  HZ vs IR, you could also change your neighbors channels 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    I'm probably wrong here, but dinner is the actual meal to me, and supper is the event (gathering of family/people to eat dinner). I'm 80% sure I'm wrong.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    I'm probably wrong here, but dinner is the actual meal to me, and supper is the event (gathering of family/people to eat dinner). I'm 80% sure I'm wrong.

Well, a supper club is where people gather to dine - usually for dinner - so I think you may actually only be 50% wrong.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Dinner.

But my Mother uses Supper sometimes- sometimes it means lunch, sometimes it means Dinner.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    Perhaps this was engrained in you as a child…but is your evening meal your supper or your dinner? Guess it makes no difference, but I always pick up when someone uses their chosen term which differs from mine, though I never comment!

Ron on my hill supper is the last meal of the day and always served after the sun goes down. Anything served while the sun is still shining is dinner or late dinner. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    To those of you who call the evening meal dinner, when you fix breakfast for the evening meal, what do you call it?
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Ike said:
    To those of you who call the evening meal dinner, when you fix breakfast for the evening meal, what do you call it?
    I need to go grocery shopping 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Ike said:
    Trick question, it’s a trap.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    The last supper.  If it was good enough for Jesus…than supper it is.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    Options
    Ike said:

Followup question:
    "To those of you who call the morning meal breakfast, when you fix dinner (aka supper) for the morning meal, what do you call it?"
    Followup followup question:
    "Who eats second breakfast? Howabout elevenses?"

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    Options
    Ike said:
    Steak

fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ike said:
    A damn fun evening ending at Waffle House, 0130.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Botch said:
    Ike said:
    LOL - after the gals had to be back in the dormitories at 10PM  then where and when I went to college in MO in the early ‘60s there was a 24/7 family restaurant where…and this is no lie…for 35 cents we could buy 1 egg and 2 slices of buttered toast! I mean that was one popular and apparently profitable as it was always packed. BTW some of the rich a-holes would upgrade to 2 eggs, 1 slice of bacon and 2 slices of toast for 60 cents! 
    When I said “rich a-holes” I meant it as at the time I was working at the college for 50 cents an hour! So 35 cents was all relative to me! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    Botch said:
    Ike said:
    LOL - after the gals had to be back in the dormitories at 10PM  then where and when I went to college in MO in the early ‘60s there was a 24/7 family restaurant where…and this is no lie…for 35 cents we could buy 1 egg and 2 slices of buttered toast! I mean that was one popular and apparently profitable as it was always packed. BTW some of the rich a-holes would upgrade to 2 eggs, 1 slice of bacon and 2 slices of toast for 60 cents! 
    When I said “rich a-holes” I meant it as at the time I was working at the college for 50 cents an hour! So 35 cents was all relative to me! 

Girls had to be back in the dorm at ten.  That's just crazy
    fukahwee maine

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    RRP said:
    Botch said:
    Ike said:

Girls had to be back in the dorm at ten.  That's just crazy
    My boss' wife went to a small college in PA.  They had a rule that if boys were in the room with the girls, ONE foot had to remain on the floor at all times.  I always figured it would be a fun game to see how many other rules I could break with one foot on the floor.
    Clinton, Iowa