Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jealous Devil Charcoal

1235»

Comments

• Well…I tried it. Hopefully will get to cook over it at some point. 50 minutes in and smoking like a tire fire. Every piece is the size of a softball and about as heavy. I bent my ash tool trying to break up the bigger pcs. TFJ can smell it inside the house and asked if we should just cook the fish inside tonight. We may have to. This is probably the nastiest lump start up I have had in a decade. And I paid more than i pay for Rockwood just to try it ha ha.  Hard pass. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Update: hour+ in. Smoking like snoop and Willie…if they smoked tires. My whole house smells like an industrial accident and the doors have been closed the whole time. 
  • Update: hour+ in. Smoking like snoop and Willie…if they smoked tires. My whole house smells like an industrial accident and the doors have been closed the whole time. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 23,130
    edited October 2022
    One hour and forty minutes to burn clean. Still cooking cod fillets with the dome open because it’s still heavy. Have no idea what the infatuation with this stuff is but I will use the rest of this bag to start my kbq
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited October 2022
    Nm
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TFJ: “this fish tastes like f*cking cigarettes”. I didn’t think it was that strong once the smoke cleared but it was harsh. That is one expensive, nasty, smoky bag o’ lump. 
  • Mmm cigarettes 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Appreciate the review. I tried a bunch of different stuff the first few years after I got into this, but all that did was reinforce why I can't see myself using anything but Rockwood.
    Stillwater, MN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    People pay a lot for cigarettes 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,635
    edited October 2022
    I don't like to switch up charcoal, I go with one brand rockwood, it always lights the same, comes up to temp the same, etc.  Last time ace was out I tried something different and had a completely different experience.  For that reason alone I will stick with one brand.
    Quality and consistency

1. Rockwood
    2. Wicked Good
    3. Green Egg
    3. Blues Hog Competition
    4. B and B
    5. Cowboy
    6. Royal oak

JD didn't make the cut, because I don't have anyone who sells it..which may or may not speak volumes

most folks don't know charcoal is "subbed/pimp'd" to several sellers. Same stuff, just who pays what to get the top of the bag of the bottom of the barrel.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    I had a bag of JD and ended up using it for just burgers and dogs. My problem is my local Ace quit carrying Rockwood for some reason. When I ask about it I get funny looks and they direct me to huge isle full of charcoal...that doesn't include Rockwood. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • mehsrea
    mehsrea Posts: 27
    Lumber Jack is/was the absolute best. But it appears to be out of business. :(
  • ksmyrl said:
    I had a bag of JD and ended up using it for just burgers and dogs. My problem is my local Ace quit carrying Rockwood for some reason. When I ask about it I get funny looks and they direct me to huge isle full of charcoal...that doesn't include Rockwood. 
    You can order online and pick up in store.  I did that for a while and they finally just started keeping it in stock

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    edited October 2022
    ksmyrl said:
    Showing in stock at the Athens GA location (and they are showing sales)......so not sure what's up.  There's a whole truckload sitting in the Gainesville RSC, so might have just been the store at one point.  Don't forget sign up for the rewards so you get at least one $5 coupon every month!!
  • Legume said:

Greatness. She laughed too.
  • ksmyrl
    @stlcharcoal thanks for the update. I should clarify that I used to buy it at the ACE in Covington, GA. I work in Covington and would buy it there most weeks.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    ksmyrl said:
    @stlcharcoal thanks for the update. I should clarify that I used to buy it at the ACE in Covington, GA. I work in Covington and would buy it there most weeks.
    Gotcha.....showing in stock there as well.  Was this during 2020-21?  The panic buy and shut downs had it flying out of stores faster than we could restock their distribution centers, so they started allocating it to stores.  So we lost a lot of stores since they didn't want an empty shelf.
  • ksmyrl
    Very cool. Thanks. I'll restock. I had numerous bags but used it all up in the panic buy craze you were referring to. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    Bump
    canuckland
  • Feel lucky to have found RW early in my Egg journey and have a couple of reliable purveyors nearby to keep me stocked. I have yet to find another brand that matches its quick lighting and consistent burn pattern.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,230
    Just saw that my local Wally World started carrying the JD. Figured there was a thread on it here.  After seeing this, not even interested in trying it.  A company that resorts to stealing a picture of daggome charcoal.  That’s simply pathetic, lazy and embarrassing.  Hard to find integrity and values these days. @stlcharcoal , you have my business, sir.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,215
    Update: hour+ in. Smoking like snoop and Willie…if they smoked tires. My whole house smells like an industrial accident and the doors have been closed the whole time. 

Damn, even the old gifs got shrunk.  I am incensed.  

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL