Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jealous Devil Charcoal

Comments

• It’s better than this thread with opinions from a competing brand suggest. There are some things in the business snd marketing side I’m not a fan of, but the product itself is fine

it doesn’t spark, doesn’t ash up, lasts long and burns hot. It has a unique flavour.. I am fine with it, my family doesn’t like the odour/taste on most cooks outside of say a brisket or pork butt etc. 

i prefer controlling the flavour more so we have been rocking the Fogo lately as it tastes more similar to food I cook on my offset 
  • BigGreenKev
    BigGreenKev Posts: 260
    My go to is royal oak for what it's worth due to cost, flavor and availability. That being said, when I plan poorly and suddenly need to run and get a bag of something to make dinner my local home Depot carries JD so I'll pick that up. Box stores carry frontier and cowboy but I'm only doing those for something with a wok.

That being said, I've found JD does take longer to heat up but is big pieces and burns well.  I have nothing bad to say about them from a cooking standpoint. If you are going the ACE route I also like wicked good that they carry around here.  Rockwood is also a good product the bags I've used.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,112

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I’ve used JD and have had nothing but success! If your not attentive  it can get away from you. I have not use rockwood! I’ll give it a try. It’s all about preference some folks like BGE lump. I haven’t had any success, sparks when lighting, burns fast and has way too much ash. I can go on about my dislikes. Use what you like folks! Happy smoking! 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,974
    @Mr1egg fyi, 20 lb KJ Big Block, regular $33.99, is on sale at Rona $23.99 until May 11. Just alerting you, I have no experience with this lump nor affiliation with Rona or KJ.
    canuckland
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 398
    @Mr1egg fyi, 20 lb KJ Big Block, regular $33.99, is on sale at Rona $23.99 until May 11. Just alerting you, I have no experience with this lump nor affiliation with Rona or KJ.
    Thank you very much for letting me know. I will check that out for sure, I’ve used it once and it seemed good but my only complaint was that the chunks are very large and hard to start with an electric lighter like the eggnighter. But for that price I’ll have to pick some up. I would suggest you try it too. What lump do you use here in Canada? Also where r u located in Canada?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,103
    I don't like to switch up charcoal, I go with one brand rockwood, it always lights the same, comes up to temp the same, etc.  Last time ace was out I tried something different and had a completely different experience.  For that reason alone I will stick with one brand.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mr1egg
    I’ve tried many brands and honestly they are all very similar. Some seem to last longer but otherwise it’s all the same to me. Maybe my taste buds aren’t as good as others in this forum. 
  • Canugghead
    edited May 2022
    Mr1egg said:
    Thank you very much for letting me know. I will check that out for sure, I’ve used it once and it seemed good but my only complaint was that the chunks are very large and hard to start with an electric lighter like the eggnighter. But for that price I’ll have to pick some up. I would suggest you try it too. What lump do you use here in Canada? Also where r u located in Canada?

You can fill the gaps with smaller pieces from other brands and light those, leftover lumps can also be added strategically for starting. Reducing gaps between big blocks also lowers the chance of low n slow fire dying.
    I stocked up on Basques sugar maple (green and white bags), and some blue bags RO years ago, still have about 10 bags. In recent years I use my pellet cookers more than eggs, $10 off is tempting to try though.  I’m just north of “centre of the universe”, lol

edit: Unlike regular Costco, I can get Basques for 17.99 at Costco Business Centre year round.
    canuckland
  • It’s better than this thread with opinions from a competing brand suggest. There are some things in the business snd marketing side I’m not a fan of, but the product itself is fine

it doesn’t spark, doesn’t ash up, lasts long and burns hot. It has a unique flavour.. I am fine with it, my family doesn’t like the odour/taste on most cooks outside of say a brisket or pork butt etc. 

i prefer controlling the flavour more so we have been rocking the Fogo lately as it tastes more similar to food I cook on my offset 

I didn't give any opinion on the product itself......never used it.  I just stated what they stole from my family company and their marketing practices (which you say you're not a fan of either.)

Either way and in all fairness, you should probably disclose which of these charcoal brands sponsor you.
    I get that, like I said there are things on the business side that are less than perfect. I am not on their team or any charcoal team over the past year and have receipts for the charcoal I’ve purchased and used in every video for over the past year. 

I am in Canada and rockwood isn’t sold here, I used to smuggle it across the border from Ace in Buffalo before the pandemic and that option was closed 

That’s me and the three brands I’ve used in my channel since I started most often … this video is a taste test comparison … JD didn’t win this by the way
  • If Jealous Devil is still using that plastic zipper bag thing then I would rather go cheap with Royal Oak than ever buy it again.  The JD plastic bag is an abomination — seems specifically designed to never close, not let you roll it down as the bag empties down and always poof your face with as much available charcoal dust as possible every time you pick it up.  Also have no use for KJ big block due to its oddball approach to market poorly distributed lump size as some form of premium to the end user. 

I buy Rockwood almost exclusively — mostly out of respect for the consistency and that it is from USA. So many other charcoal brands are from different continents and not consistent over time.  It is also evident that Rockwood puts the product and customer first — definitely service oriented. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Rockwood for the win!
  • Mr1egg
    It’s better than this thread with opinions from a competing brand suggest. There are some things in the business snd marketing side I’m not a fan of, but the product itself is fine

I didn't give any opinion on the product itself......never used it.  I just stated what they stole from my family company and their marketing practices (which you say you're not a fan of either.)

Either way and in all fairness, you should probably disclose which of these charcoal brands sponsor you.
    I get that, like I said there are things on the business side that are less than perfect. I am not on their team or any charcoal team over the past year and have receipts for the charcoal I’ve purchased and used in every video for over the past year. 

I am in Canada and rockwood isn’t sold here, I used to smuggle it across the border from Ace in Buffalo before the pandemic and that option was closed 

That’s me and the three brands I’ve used in my channel since I started most often … this video is a taste test comparison … JD didn’t win this by the way
    R u actually James or r u someone else playing around? 
    Y would u be on the bge forum if u have only kj?
    if it’s really u, u should make a call out on ur next vid about the bge forum. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,705
    It’s better than this thread with opinions from a competing brand suggest. There are some things in the business snd marketing side I’m not a fan of, but the product itself is fine

Didn't answer the question.....

Which of those three companies has, or currently sponsor you with free product?? 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    Well that went right into the shitter faster than a five guys burger. What the heck? Over what .... Lump charcoal? To the guy that doesn't like the plastic bag, don't friggen buy it, heck ...  draw a squiggly poop on all the bags at the store with a sharpie for all I care. Surely you must have something better to do than come on here complaining about the plastic bags the lump came in? Maybe you can use the bag to put all your possessions in when your partner throws you out for being all mister pouty faced about lump charcoal packaging To the guy with the video, that coat went out in the early eighties, right after teddy ruxpin came out with his cool beige jumpsuit. Also, nobody puts their glasses case in their upper pocket anymore. Not everybody wants to look like a NASA employee from the apollo era. Lastly, why would anybody buy anything called Jealous Devil in the first place? Hello, it's the friggen devil, AND he's jealous, so what kind of lump are you gonna get from a friggen jealous devil? You really expect the very best from a devil that's jealous? Even us normal folk don't produce our best when we're jealous. Heck, my wife kissed a horse on Saturday morning and when we got home I broke three plates across her face. Imagine if I made lump charcoal that day, that lump would suck ass and I'm not even the devil.

People need to start thinking more like me maybe, god .... It's just lump charcoal. 

StumpBaby

Which of those three companies has, or currently sponsor you with free product?? 

The quote messed up, my answer is above. It’s been nearly 15 months since I accepted a free bag of charcoal, I have receipts for my purchases. 

Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they are sponsored. 
  • Mr1egg said:

R u actually James or r u someone else playing around? 
    Y would u be on the bge forum if u have only kj?
    if it’s really u, u should make a call out on ur next vid about the bge forum. 
    Yes it’s me. I had eggs before Kj was a company 
  • stlcharcoal

The quote messed up, my answer is above. It’s been nearly 15 months since I accepted a free bag of charcoal, I have receipts for my purchases. 

Still didn't answer the question......

Where did we disagree?  I commented on their marketing, not their product.  You called me out "saying it was better than what a competing brand suggests" when I didn't suggest anything about it.....and then said that you don't agree with their marketing practices.  Then you went on to praise another brand which you fail to admit if you've been sponsored by in the past or currently.  You can be an influencer all you want, just be transparent about it rather than pretending to be a regular uncompensated BGE owner on this forum (a whopping 4 posts this year and this is the thread you choose to engage in??)

Still didn't answer the question......

Where did we disagree?  I commented on their marketing, not their product.  You called me out "saying it was better than what a competing brand suggests" when I didn't suggest anything about it.....and then said that you don't agree with their marketing practices.  Then you went on to praise another brand which you fail to admit if you've been sponsored by in the past or currently.  You can be an influencer all you want, just be transparent about it rather than pretending to be a regular uncompensated BGE owner on this forum (a whopping 4 posts this year and this is the thread you choose to engage in??)

15 months ago i received my last comped bag from Jealous Devil, I agree with you on the business practices as I have said now 3 times.  This among other factors was part of my decision to leave the program.

I am not praising JD, i said my family doesn't like the taste of it.  I know you mentioned you've never used it but from my experience it lights well, burns hot, lasts a long time with low ash but it has a very unique taste that it imparts thats not for everyone... and by everyone i mean 3 out of 4 people in my family 
  • ROlin
    ROlin Posts: 25
    Wow, can't believe all the JD haters here. Fact is JD lump is the #1 selling charcoal across the US. On most all grill sites loves JD. You say it takes a little longer to light then start the charcoal a little sooner, DUH! You have to learn your charcoal & its burn profile. JD lump is a hard tough charcoal. You wont get a 1/3 bag of dust. Or a bag of junk like I got when I got the last bag of Green Egg years ago. If you are not getting great results with JD lump, try it in a different smoker. Say Hasty Bake, The Good One Smoker. Oh & JD lump rocks my PK Kitchen. Yep, maybe the Egg's are the problem. I have one & use it for pizza's. As far as the name I have always run with the Devil. Because he tells no lies. 
    Well, cheers everyone. Lump war on.
  • ROlin said:
    Wow, can't believe all the JD haters here. Fact is JD lump is the #1 selling charcoal across the US. On most all grill sites loves JD. You say it takes a little longer to light then start the charcoal a little sooner, DUH! You have to learn your charcoal & its burn profile. JD lump is a hard tough charcoal. You wont get a 1/3 bag of dust. Or a bag of junk like I got when I got the last bag of Green Egg years ago. If you are not getting great results with JD lump, try it in a different smoker. Say Hasty Bake, The Good One Smoker. Oh & JD lump rocks my PK Kitchen. Yep, maybe the Egg's are the problem. I have one & use it for pizza's. As far as the name I have always run with the Devil. Because he tells no lies. 
    thats why i jumped in, i am not in their program anymore but its getting unfairly slogged for the product vs. the marketing or business practices 

I use a grill blazer grill gun, with 400k BTU and JD is one of very few fuels that can withstand the torch and not spray me with sparks that burn me or my clothes... as the person standing nearby this is something i appreciate lol 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,112
    ROlin said:
    You only have 20 posts here, and nearly every single one is praising Jealous Devil.

But yeah, maybe the Eggs are the problem...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    ROlin said:
    You only have 20 posts here, and nearly every single one is praising Jealous Devil.

canuckland
  • ROlin
    ROlin Posts: 25
    ROlin said:
    thats why i jumped in, i am not in their program anymore but its getting unfairly slogged for the product vs. the marketing or business practices 

I use a grill blazer grill gun, with 400k BTU and JD is one of very few fuels that can withstand the torch and not spray me with sparks that burn me or my clothes... as the person standing nearby this is something i appreciate lol 
    That is right. You can put a propane torch to the JD lump, no sparks, no light show what so ever. I have used this lump for over 5 years & it is so consistent every time that I know what I am doing with it. Every now & then I will try a different lump for a change up. Then I realize why JD lump is the best. 
    As far people saying they only buy USA lump which is fine. Well that Green Egg you are dumping it in is made where? Just asking for a friend. There are a lot of great charcoals out there use what you like & what works best for you. 
    But no need to hammer the devil down. Because it does ROCK. 
    Lump on
  • stlcharcoal
    ROlin said:

Yep he's back!  The JD troll/shill......quiet for three years and suddenly reappears.

How are those nice JD hats that you were even raving about?  They still "rock" too?  I saw on the Amazon reviews they cured male pattern baldness and ED.
  • Canugghead
    ColtsFan said:

Save some as fire starters for JD 😈
    canuckland