Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jealous Devil Charcoal

Options

Comments

• ROlin
    ROlin Posts: 25
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Be careful, the devil is watching
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    @stlcharcoal

Well, that makes much more sense than anything I was gonna say, that's for sure. 

StumpBaby
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    ROlin said:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    @stlcharcoal

Well, that makes much more sense than anything I was gonna say, that's for sure. 

StumpBaby

How can they give us the agree button, remove it, dangle it in front of us and never follow through on its return?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Saw a 20# bag of JD at Home Despot today for $24.  I laughed and shook my head.
    Options
    I love me a good old fashioned charcoal thread, especially when it gets heated.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    ...and hated. 🤣
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    RyanStl said:
     if you really want to light it up, you need to start a thread about the best method for lighting charcoal. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    caliking said:
    RyanStl said:
     if you really want to light it up, you need to start a thread about the best method for lighting charcoal. 
    Obviously it's a mapp gas handgrenade
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,954
    Options
    caliking said:
    RyanStl said:
    Obviously it's a mapp gas handgrenade
    I beg to differ:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    "I buy pre lit charcoal, saves time that way"

Jeesh .. How far in advance are you planning your party that you're getting prelit charcoal for it? Honestly, I'd be insulted if I was the charcoal guy, and I spent hours burning that $h!t once, and then you ask me to burn it again, right before I get it to you ..my lord ...  because .. what? .. Wait, .. you screwed up the brine again ...  didn't you ... didnt' t you .... Jeesh MAN .. corporate made us take a WHOLE class on brine ... what the hell? You know ... I thought you were friggin' nodding off .... this is what I get for not hitting you with a heavy spoon.  $H!t ...$h!t $h!t

Ybabpmuts 
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Options

Carry on
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    ROlin said:
    Thanks for buying an M1 grill from my wife's cousin. He's the owner of the company. Also jealous devil charcoal sucks. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Ybabpmuts
    Options
    Isn't that a coincidence .. I was just about to post and thank him for buying a 1M from my cousins wife. She's the owner of the company. And uh .. by the way .. "Also Jealous Devil Charcoal Sucks" sounds like someone needs a lesson or two at picking halfway decent band names. The first lesson is that you never start a band name with "Also" ...   because then the conversation becomes ALLLLL about the "Also" and the actual music fades into the background, next thing you know ... your band is selling jingles on the internet for things like toilet wands and lipsticks bombs (I may have gotten them mixed up, I am a stump after all). The second lesson is that you never end a bands name with "sucks' because the kids couldn't wear the tshirts to school and that's a lot of advertising dollars left on the table. 

Ybabpmuts 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    My whole point was this ..

Jealous Devil Charcoal ... is a great band name. T-shirt sales through the roof 

Ybabpmuts

• nolaegghead
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Yarp
    Options
    That's pray backwards right?

Ybabpmuts
  • nolaegghead
    Options

edited May 2022
    Options
    Just saw JD 20lb bags of XL lump at Home Depot for $25 and they were the normal string top paper bags. Had a good laugh!!!  Royal oak 15lb for $15.  Like I said I am mostly Rockwood exclusive and prefer it— use Ace coupons — but would give this JD paper bag a shot on a whim.  The bags today looked a little flat from supply chain and I am otherwise stocked up. Anyone tried this jd xl version?  If it is like KJ big block (which i have not enjoyed) I will skip it.  It’s Paraguay and the RO is USA.  
  • ROlin
    ROlin Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments on my M1. It just loves JD Lump. But, yesterday I got a bag of ax breaker lump that says Green Eggy on it. So, I fired up some in the M1 grilled a Wagyu Bavette & not to bad of a charcoal. Long round stick like pieces. You know what Lump Charcoal should look like. Instead of window frame pieces & bark cuttings. Like brand "b's" uses. You eggers should give this charcoal a shot. It says Green Egg on it, doesn't it?
    $17 for 17.5 lbs. Prices like you guys like. Its not the devil but a great fill in charcoal. Would love to give their Sugar Maple a shot. Can not find it anywhere. And remember USA lump has been nuked over & over from fallout. That's why it lights faster & sparks faster. LOL Its best to get your lump out of non-radiated forest. Just saying for a friend anyway. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    4TheGrillOfIt Posts: 741
    Options
    I am really going to hate to see this thread fade down the list.  *bump*
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Dr_GreenThumb
    Options
    I like JD, but now need to check out the Rockwood brand...
  • kanye_twitty
    Options
    This place is so great ha ha.
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    I always go to the most radiated forests for my lump. It worked when I went looking for a two headed wife. Now, we can french kiss and she can check me for extra ear wax at the same time, a real time saver in the morning. Unfortunately, she eats twice as many fruit loops as I'd hoped she would. There's always a trade off somewhere I guess.

Ybabpmuts 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    I always go to the most radiated forests for my lump. It worked when I went looking for a two headed wife. Now, we can french kiss and she can check me for extra ear wax at the same time, a real time saver in the morning. Unfortunately, she eats twice as many fruit loops as I'd hoped she would. There's always a trade off somewhere I guess.

Ybabpmuts 
    Not sure my Ofo has kicked in enough to understand this. Try another Ofo, and reread. See what happens.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    wps456 said:
    Seriously, though, Rockwood does seem to overfill.  Their 20 lb bag doesn’t short change on weight.
    That's because it's actually full of charcoal and not rocks, nails, etc.. Some of the other bags would seem full if they just put charcoal in them.
    You'll find the occasional rock, chunk of kiln, etc in ours too.....there's no way to screen that stuff out without floating it over a water bath or x-raying it.  There's a huge magnet to hopefully catch the nails, barbed wire, bullets, banding, etc, but if it's wedged into a piece of charcoal then it's probably not going to grab them.  Since we get all the off cuts and knotty pieces, that's usually why the knot formed around the foreign object.....thus they can't use it in the mill so it goes for charcoal.

There's at least an extra half pound in every 20# bag to cover any of this, or scale error.

The reason that picture looks like the bag is bigger is because it is.  Two reasons......some competitor's bags are not 20#, they're 17.6#.  Also ours is carbonized more so the bulk density is less.  Carbon is lighter than water & wood fiber, so the higher the carbon content, the larger the volume.  20# of firewood or charred wood / poorly carbonized "charcoal" are much heavier by volume because they're full of water and wood fiber; 20# briquettes are heavier by volume because they're full of limestone and water.  Buy by BTU/#, not just #.
    @alaskanassasin
    canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I thought i read it somewhere not making a big deal here lol.

bgebrent said:
    Plated picture is money.  Jonathan has previously said he fills to approximately 22#.  Sounds like you got a bonus bag.

I said our bags are 1/2 to 1.0# over, then the paper weighs about a pound.  So we're gonna need those extra 3# back!

South of Columbus, Ohio.