Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT -- Resting Your Meat

Options
Confirmation of what I've learned on the forum.   Not that confirmation was required . . . but SWMBO got a kick out of seeing someone in the public sphere endorse my obsessive FTC ways.  

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/08/411778404/pitmasters-embrace-new-barbecue-truth-rested-meat-is-sublime
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Nice share. Thanks. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    As Eggheads we tend to be obsessive compulsive in the cooking realm. Thanks for sharing. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Interesting read.  Thanks-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Great article, thanks for sharing.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Thanks.... Clears up some question I had
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and what @SGH has been saying about butcher paper may be the way to go.  I know my first brisket on the egg I FTC'd it for about 5 hours and it was still hot to the touch and was very juice.  I have wrapped ribs in plastic wrap and foil them then reheated the next day and they were awesome.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    What type of store usually carries rolls of butcher paper?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ladeback69
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What type of store usually carries rolls of butcher paper?
    Sam's and Costco.  Also Amazon.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/paper-butcher-18-wht/prod14420224.ip?navAction=

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Interesting article, but I'm not buyin' it. Not where pork butts or shoulders are concerned anyway. I have read many times on here that resting butts or shoulders is not necessary and does not improve the meat. Doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either.

That has certainly been my experience. I have FTC'd, but only when the pork was done before I was ready to eat. Admittedly, I have done this only a few times, but I have never noticed any improvement in taste or texture as result of the rest. If I'm hungry when it's done, I'm gonna pull and eat!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Interesting article, but I'm not buyin' it. Not where pork butts or shoulders are concerned anyway. I have read many times on here that resting butts or shoulders is not necessary and does not improve the meat. Doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either.

That has certainly been my experience. I have FTC'd, but only when the pork was done before I was ready to eat. Admittedly, I have done this only a few times, but I have never noticed any improvement in taste or texture as result of the rest. If I'm hungry when it's done, I'm gonna pull and eat!
    i believe it applies more to sliced brisket where you can see it dry before your eyes when slicing it hot. pork butt on the other hand is best picked right off the grill, the best part is the stuff stuck right on the grill =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69
    Options

I find when I let the pork butt rest uncovered for about 15 to 20 minutes it is juicer and easier to pull.  That's just my experience.  I pulled most of 2 one time right after coming off the egg and it wasn't as juice as I like.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Thanks for linking this.  It supports my bias - at least for brisket.  And it reminded me that I needed to order some butcher paper for an upcoming brisket event at a friend's house where we will be cooking on a large offset smoker for 110 people.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Confirmation of what I've learned on the forum.   Not that confirmation was required . . . but SWMBO got a kick out of seeing someone in the public sphere endorse my obsessive FTC ways.  

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/08/411778404/pitmasters-embrace-new-barbecue-truth-rested-meat-is-sublime
    Great article
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Good for surfacing the above article.  Will definitely help new members here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thought this thread was going to be about abstinence. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thought this thread was going to be about abstinence. 
    That’s funny I thought it was going to be about intermittent coitus.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike