Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: and I DO mean OT!: FaceBook question(s)! :OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited September 2022 in EggHead Forum
I have resisted EVER joining FB so as to NOT make MuckThe Suck EVEN one penny! but it appears that is impossible!
OTOH Does anyone here know HOW to join Face Book LEGALLY without disclosing anything?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    RRP said:
    I have resisted EVER joining FB so as to NOT make MuckThe Suck EVEN one penny! but it appears that is impossible!
    OTOH Does anyone here know HOW to join Face Book LEGALLY without disclosing anything?

Not real sure what you mean, and I’m not being a smart a$$, but you could make an email account just for that and make a “fake” identity and sign up for it if you really want anonymity. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    1.  Fake name (you can use Search to find your friends from long ago, but they can't find you)
    2.  List your birthday as 30 February
    3.  All other questions, use your best judgement
    4.  Most of the info I did give them (schools, majors, etc) they list incorrectly anyway
    5.  Who/what is "MuckThe Suck"?  

Overall, I'm glad I joined FB.  I've had many circles of friends in school (HS, Iowa State, SDSU, NMSU, and CCAF), work (Dayton OH, Albuturkey NM, Grand Forks ND, Ogden UT), music (see all the above), and specialty forums (music, photography, motorcycles, and those weirdos who use a BGE).  They are all separate groups, and it's been fun to keep up with so many of them.  (oh yeah, and those "family" people)  
    It's also been fun to see inadvertent interactions between them all (conservatives, liberals, muslims, jews, military, free spirits, male, female, other, blacks, hispanics, asians, and short people).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Ron- just signup with your real name & age.  Not worth all the hoops you have to jump thru to stay anonymous.  And makes it hard for your friends and family to connect.  It’s not that big of a deal. 
  • RRP
    Ron- just signup with your real name & age.  Not worth all the hoops you have to jump thru to stay anonymous.  And makes it hard for your friends and family to connect.  It’s not that big of a deal. 
    Thanks -guess I have just heard too many horrible Face Book stories!
  • Ron… I finally joined this summer.  My previous job discouraged belonging to FB, as I had a high security classification with Homeland Security (electric power grid).  After retiring, none of that mattered.  Sign up for an account, and then you choose what you want to share.  And what you want to only share with family & friends.  You will have control of your account. And join some cooking groups, which include some BGE groups.   Lots of knowledge to be gained & shared!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I'm not sure how Facebook works but I'm 100% a fake account my wife gave me for Marketplace. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I sell a lot of golf stuff on Marketplace.  Only sell to locals.  Yes there are a lot of scammers that contact you, but they use instagram which is a “red flag” and I don’t respond.  Sign up for the local groups, and your postings will get better results.  Like anything on the web, you got to do your due diligence. It’s a good tool and resource if you learn the tricks.
  • MuckThe Suck” is my favourite reference to Zuckerberg ever. 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Once @RRP finally joins, I believe I will be the last person without a FB account. 

Let us know how it goes!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,164
    @Langner91 - sorry but I am still in the no Bookface world as well, and never have been.  No plans to change my place in line.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Do you have to give them an actual phone number these days to register an account?  I’d probably draw the line at that.  I get enough spam calls and texts as it is.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    @RRP - I'd suggest you review the FB Terms of Service before joining, at a minimum.  https://www.facebook.com/privacy/policy?_rdr
    Keep in mind you are not their customer, you are their product and you won't be compensated.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Langner91 said:
    Once @RRP finally joins, I believe I will be the last person without a FB account. 

Let us know how it goes!
    I don’t and never will (again- had one early on). I don’t want people lifting my images and using them on their troll accounts on bbq forums
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Never had a FB. This is my social media.
    Me as well. For my demographic, I’m an extreme outlier. A great tool for a lot of people, but personally, I couldn’t be happier living behind the times. 
  • RRP
    Having read the rules I like some others here will remain a FaceBook Virgin!
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    No Book Face here as well
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Never had a FB. This is my social media.
    Same. I don't I could handle more than this 😃

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • This is about all the social media I need….

https://lamebook.com/
  • Team no Facebook myself. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    My FB account is under a pseudonym and I mainly use it for hobby and equipment groups that don't have any sort of forum elsewhere. Some local businesses use FB for announcements, how-to's, sales, menus, etc. so they are useful to be able to see/follow.
    For my purposes FB is worth having an account. My account was created a long time ago and I have no idea what they require to create an account nowadays. I have no problem sharing an email address (I use one that matches my pseudonym) but if they required a mobile phone number I might balk. On the other hand so many places use your mobile phone to send things like authorization codes that adding one more service can't be that big a deal can it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    HeavyG said:
    My FB account is under a pseudonym and I mainly use it for hobby and equipment groups that don't have any sort of forum elsewhere. Some local businesses use FB for announcements, how-to's, sales, menus, etc. so they are useful to be able to see/follow.
    For my purposes FB is worth having an account. My account was created a long time ago and I have no idea what they require to create an account nowadays. I have no problem sharing an email address (I use one that matches my pseudonym) but if they required a mobile phone number I might balk. On the other hand so many places use your mobile phone to send things like authorization codes that adding one more service can't be that big a deal can it? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just looking forward to having a chip in my brain. We can forgo all this password and verification nonsense. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • I don’t have a Facebook account. As a part of professional continuing education I once attended a seminar called “Fired By Facebook “ . It was mostly about people who called in sick then posted pictures on the beach or others posted pictures of them on the beach. Reviewing your social media is now a part of the screening process for hiring or promotion. Both can be denied if you post non standard viewpoints. Heck The Suck doesn’t even require search warrants to hand over your data to Feds.

That said it would be nice to be able to use Facebook to see if people that I knew in college are still alive. The bad part would be not approving half my relatives access.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    kl8ton said:
    HeavyG said:

I'm just looking forward to having a chip in my brain. We can forgo all this password and verification nonsense. 

I got "chipped" when I got my COVID shots. Now I'm just waiting for all the sites/vendors to catch up and implement that login protocol.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited September 2022
    I don't have an account either.  The business has one, but I don't get on there.

People give me crap because "you didn't see I [whatever], I put it on Facebook!"  No, I don't spend my time reviewing everybody's highlight reel, opinions, etc.  If it's important enough, I want to hear directly from you and vice versa.

Social media is the most UNSOCIAL form of communication.  If you have a "facebook friend" that you haven't hung out with, or had any direct communication with in the last 6 months, they're not your "friend" anymore.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Damn, I just lost a lot of old friends that I only text with a couple of times a year.
  • Legume said:
    Damn, I just lost a lot of old friends that I only text with a couple of times a year.
    Exactly....old friends, not current friends.  Pick up the phone and give them call!!  
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    edited September 2022
    Im on it for the marketplace. Sold my WSM 22 in a week at asking price. Pit boss pellet in a day at asking price. An old noisy compressor in about a week at asking price. I also had them posted on Craig's, but no interest. 

Bought a used bouch dishwasher for 50 for a friend. If they spelled it Bosch someone else would have bought it. 

I make everything private, won't post in a public group. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • The main problem with Facebook aren’t the privacy issues (although those are problematic), it’s the algorithm.  It’s designed to keep you engaged with the platform, and it doesn’t care how it gets there.   If you understand that and can actually limit your time on it (many people struggle with this) it can be useful, but Zuckerberg has not done good things for the world with this stuff.  Not by a long shot.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • If anyone wants to friend me on FB, in use the name
    ”Damien Nunya”

I’d love to expand these friendships, any way I can ..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!