Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Elevated Dove Poppers

Options
Well, the dove hunting isn’t great this year - the drought has had its effects. My son and I did manage to get a few though recently. My son bought the new cookbook by Hank Shaw “Rabbit, Quail, Cottontail”

We chose a recipe that uses a chermoula marinade. It has olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, preserved lemon, garlic, cilantro, cumin, smoked paprika, and red pepper. 

Dove breasts were then stuffed with a date and wrapped in bacon. I cooked these over direct heat at about 375°  

This wasn’t too bad y’all. Served with roasted potatoes, some okra, and roasted shishitos. 

Y’all have a great evening!
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,776
    Options
    awesome and si glad to see you post my friend 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Great to see you back here, Gary!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Whoa! That looks incredible. We are covered up in dove right now for the first time since we bought the place. Im going to grab a few this week and will try this. 

If you are looking for more dove, I know a guy :) 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fabulous cook, Gary. With exactly the level of detail,  and deliciousness, we expect from  you 🙂

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,164
    Options
    Glad you popped in an reminded us all why you are one of the best cooks on here!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,665
    Options
    Looks great!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Thanks y’all. I’m just happy the weather is cooling off a bit so I can enjoy cooking and hanging out in the kitchen. Glad to see all is well here on the forum. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,433
    Options
    @SciAggie - glad you have surfaced.  I had to look twice to make sure this thread is current.  Way to return with a great cook.  Never a doubt.  Looks incredible.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look killer. Great job. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I've got a hunt Friday and will have to keep this recipe in mind!    thanks for sharing
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SciAggie - glad you have surfaced.  I had to look twice to make sure this thread is current.  Way to return with a great cook.  Never a doubt.  Looks incredible.  
    Good to see you folks too.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,377
    Options
    That's money there. Beauty absolute beautiful plate you laid out my friend 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,430
    Options
    Wow.  Just. Wow.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • wwinnc
    Options
    Awesome cook! Will have to try this- pretty good hunt this year and plenty of breasts in the freezer.  Thanks- looks delicious!  Just remember, like an old timer told me on one of my first dove hunts- don't shoot the females!
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Those look amazing! I have a few doves and quails that run around our neighborhood, I wonder if my neighbors would tell on me if I took the shotgun out. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Great looking cook there.  We hunted doves by one of our power plants years ago.  They flew to the cooling tower basins in the evenings.  I used my Perazzi MX2005 trap gun because it had extra full chokes, and hit them hard with the handicap AA 7.5 trap loads! Fun times.
  • WildmanWilson
    Options
    Definitely a twist on traditional poppers. I had a good hunt this year but gave mine to a buddy. Those look great !!
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    After today’s hunt I will not get to experiment.   7 of mine landed in the tank and couldn’t be retrieved.   🤦‍♂️
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas