Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Critter Cam

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Fwiw, a quick google search revealed that “Deer living in captivity, afforded protection and good nutrition, will commonly live 15 to 20 years,” writes James Heffelfinger in his book “Deer of the Southwest.”

While googling about wild deer "Most white-tailed deer live about 2 to 3 years. Maximum life span in the wild is 20 years but few live past 10 years old."

#facts
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    EGGjlmh said:
    I am pretty sure a 3 and a half year old white tail is mature. Not sure where you guys are getting you information. 
    #not a fact
    Options
    Fwiw, a quick google search revealed that “Deer living in captivity, afforded protection and good nutrition, will commonly live 15 to 20 years,” writes James Heffelfinger in his book “Deer of the Southwest.”

While googling about wild deer "Most white-tailed deer live about 2 to 3 years. Maximum life span in the wild is 20 years but few live past 10 years old."

#facts
    How tough is the meat from a 20 yeAr old.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited September 2022
    Options

#facts
    How tough is the meat from a 20 yeAr old.....
    I’ll never know ha ha. We only let the primo bucks go to 6-7. They don’t get any better after that and will start to deteriorate by the time they are 9-ish. Plus they all try to kill each other every fall. They get injured and die during the rut.  All the does and cull bucks don’t make it that long. Don’t want to feed them that long and we don’t want bad genetics from scrawny bucks in the herd. 

We had some 13 year old does when we bought the place. They would eat out of your hand. They were still having fawns but they all died off around that time. They were so scrawny, it was kind of sad to see them scrapping for food. It’s hard out there and the younger deer will push  them off the feeders 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We are on the board out here. Some good sausage awaits! My buddy got this 12pt 5/6yo with his bow this weekend. 

Tough hunting out here right now. We have a massive acorn crop on the ground so they aren’t motivated by food. They love acorns and we haven’t had any in a couple of years. My neighbor said this is the biggest crop he has seen in 15 years so they are gorging themselves out there and not coming to the feeders. 

We dressed him out and took the remains to the boneyard. Came back 30 min later and the pigs had eaten all the guts and picked his ribs clean. 

The meat looked amazing. Cant wait to try some. 

• BuckeyeFork
    Options
    Sir, this is a big green egg forum.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2022
    Options
    LOL.  PRICELESS!!!!  Love it.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    That’s absolutely amazing.   If you need someone to take out the pigs let me know.   Pests are infuriating.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options

You finally got the joke. There's hope for you yet.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:

You finally got the joke. There's hope for you yet.

Shhhh. Let it percolate. 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    How do you intend to deal with the PIGS?
    Loud rifle shots will freak out EVERYTHING in earshot.......
    Trapping?    How would THAT work?     

If Rifle?   difficult to go too powerful.    30.06 might  be a minimum.....
    .223 or non-magnum 7mm might also be a little 'light'.
    I've seen hunters with a .44mag Ruger Carbine and it is WAY too little......
    A 45-70?     Now THAT's gonna get the job done out to maybe 150 yards.....
    Marlin makes a lever action that you may have seen in one of the dinosaur movies....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like a job for an RPG.
    Options
    Begger said:
    How do you intend to deal with the PIGS?
    Loud rifle shots will freak out EVERYTHING in earshot.......
    Trapping?    How would THAT work?     

If Rifle?   difficult to go too powerful.    30.06 might  be a minimum.....
    .223 or non-magnum 7mm might also be a little 'light'.
    I've seen hunters with a .44mag Ruger Carbine and it is WAY too little......
    A 45-70?     Now THAT's gonna get the job done out to maybe 150 yards.....
    Marlin makes a lever action that you may have seen in one of the dinosaur movies....
    Best way, rifles. .223 will do the job with proper shot placement. We killed 106 last year on our club. Already 12 into this season and we haven’t started hunting. We have a trap and it works. Most deer won’t run off from a rifle shot unless it’s very very close. Rule of 10 on hogs. If you see 10, you’ve got 100…….
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lots of ways to deal with pigs. I only have 5 that I know of right now. We have cameras up at the feeders and I am 100% high-fenced.  I found out where they were getting in and fixed that area. I have not seen any more or less pigs since I did that so it appears I blocked these 5 pigs in when I closed the hole they were using to get in and out. 

Since I have so few, traps work really well. They love deer guts so we may bait our trap with that next time we take a deer. These are smaller pigs so just about any caliber used to hunt game will work. The only issue with shooting them is they are tough to find. We have so many acorns on the ground, they are just living in heavy brush gorging on those for now. When they do come to the feeders, they show up at 1am and are gone well before dawn. 

We will probably trap these and shoot them that way. You can shoot them with a .22 in a trap but buckshot 12GA also works if they are not trapped and I have a 9mm pistol for close range, a .223 and .308 for longer range shots. These won’t be difficult to get rid of, I’ll set the trap this weekend and they will be gone in a few days. 

Deer will get over any shooting pretty quickly. They will be right back at the feeders within an hour or 2. The axis deer will hide for a week one the shooting starts. They are much more wary that whitetail deer 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Yep, .223 with the right shot and right ammo will take down any sized hog (almost).

Sounds like @The Cen-Tex Smoker
     has it under control
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    Some unknown amount of wandering cows, 4 or 5 deer and a couple of people riding gravel in the Hill Country this weekend.   Usually we see some snakes but got lucky this trip 

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Some unknown amount of wandering cows, 4 or 5 deer and a couple of people riding gravel in the Hill Country this weekend.   Usually we see some snakes but got lucky this trip 

It was hot out here this weekend but still a few degrees cooler than the city. It cooled off and it’s really nice out there the rest of the week. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Thats a mighty fine looking place you have there. Enjoy it brother 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Thats a mighty fine looking place you have there. Enjoy it brother 👍

Thank you sir- we are enjoying it quite a bit
  • SGH
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    If it’s not being to nosy how many acres is it? If that’s being to nosy my apologies in advance. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    If it’s not being to nosy how many acres is it? If that’s being to nosy my apologies in advance. 
  • SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    That’s awesome 👍

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    SGH said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    That’s awesome 👍
    We have really enjoyed it. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Nice!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TechsasJim
    Options
    Delicious those Axis are
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Nice little axis buck hanging out by the pond. Crappy iPhone pic from 100 yds but still fun to see. I was out for a hike toward the back of the property and spooked him. He ran all the way up the front and gave TFJ a little show as she was driving out to the store. 

Guess I'm totally unfamiliar with "axis" deer; that looks like a spotted fawn with a 3-yr-old's rack.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TechsasJim
    Options
    @Botch    They were imported from India a long while back and are invasive to native species.  Racks like small elk, spotted like fawns as you said.   But the yield is wonderful.   They breed differently from our whitetail in Texas and quickly take over.    

Pretty animals for sure