Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BlueStar

Options

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I call those the "watch where you're going corners". I'm more afraid of the pot of boiling noodles or hot oil. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,430
    Options
    Pulled the trigger this morning on the BlueStar fridge. My 5 year plan is to drop a 48” BlueStar range to match it
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in that I'm now happily in the BlueStar family!  Had a 48" Plat. range top installed about a month ago and love it!  Tuned all the burners down on their low setting to the lowest point, which is great. 

Unfortunately, our vent hood we ordered back in February still hasn't arrived so very limited cooking on it since we have no smoke evacuation.  We finally cancelled after continuously being told 4 more weeks.  We went with a second choice that hopefully will be delivered within the next week and installed shortly after that.  Crazy how long this kitchen remodel has taken now because of the vent hood delay!

Can't wait to get going for real on the range top!
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2022
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    Just wanted to chime in that I'm now happily in the BlueStar family!  Had a 48" Plat. range top installed about a month ago and love it!  Tuned all the burners down on their low setting to the lowest point, which is great. 

Unfortunately, our vent hood we ordered back in February still hasn't arrived so very limited cooking on it since we have no smoke evacuation.  We finally cancelled after continuously being told 4 more weeks.  We went with a second choice that hopefully will be delivered within the next week and installed shortly after that.  Crazy how long this kitchen remodel has taken now because of the vent hood delay!

Can't wait to get going for real on the range top!

Does lowering the flame on the "low setting" affect the "high setting" at all? I've been tempted to lower mine down to improve simmering but not if it also lowers the max output when the knob's turned up to high. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,430
    Options
    Wow, nice setup 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 368
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I doubt that lowering the minimum flame affects the maximum. I can routinely set the smoke detector off (if I forget to put a shower cap over it) when I out a single front burner on high, with the 600 cfm exhaust fan on high. At least when I'm cooking something. With my previous Jen-Air, with a most powerful burner73% of the Bluestar's, I couldn't.
    Maybe it's just the way I cook....
    Marcdc, those sure are pretty.... I like!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Corv said:
    I doubt that lowering the minimum flame affects the maximum. I can routinely set the smoke detector off (if I forget to put a shower cap over it) when I out a single front burner on high, with the 600 cfm exhaust fan on high. At least when I'm cooking something. 
    I'm thinking the same; it seems that my powerful burners burn at the same very high heat for the top 3/4ths of the knob travel.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• cssmd27
    Options
    Botch said:
    Corv said:
    I doubt that lowering the minimum flame affects the maximum. I can routinely set the smoke detector off (if I forget to put a shower cap over it) when I out a single front burner on high, with the 600 cfm exhaust fan on high. At least when I'm cooking something. 
    I'm thinking the same; it seems that my powerful burners burn at the same very high heat for the top 3/4ths of the knob travel.  
    I'm in agreement.  I asked the question on a YT video by Bluestar, but no answer yet and the video was from years ago.

I think there is a lot of range for max output at the top end of the dial.  I'd also say that if it took one of my 22K burners down to 21K, I would never notice it and it wouldn't change a thing about the way I cook.  If I ever need truly flame throwing output, I'll use the 25K burners.  All the rest will almost always be used at sub-max output.
  • AprèsSki
    AprèsSki Posts: 131
    Options
    I would never notice it and it wouldn't change a thing about the way I cook.  If I ever need truly flame throwing output, I'll use the 25K burners.
    Live at altitude and you'll love those extra BTUs every time you boil water.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • cssmd27
    Options
    My top came with the grill and griddle accessories that fit over the top and so are external parts.  Honestly, I can't see us likely to use either.  BGE for all grilling needs and just can't see using the griddle instead of a pan.  They are very heavy and it's something like $1K add on.  I would have gladly taken a discount, but that wasn't a choice.

I don't want to toss them, but I need to find a place to store them long term.  Ideally, I'd put them in the garage, but I'm a little concerned that over time the cast iron would get some rust.  Any thoughts on any of this?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @cssmd27 ebay but if you garage them you can always season cast back and eliminate the rust.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• marcdc
    marcdc Posts: 126
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Wow, nice setup 

Corv said:

Marcdc, those sure are pretty.... I like!

Thank you!! We’re really loving it. Night and day difference compared to the electric stovetop that was here pre-renovation
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    marcdc said:
    We joined the Bluestar family as well and couldn’t be happier

That's a cool backsplash 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • cssmd27
    Options
    NDG said:
    It is amazingly easy once you understand the process which isn't hard.  I spent 10 minutes doing all 8 burners of mine.  The flat head screwdriver needs to be very thin.  I didn't find any need for the pliers on my adjustment.  It just holds the setting at the lowest spot, but the adjustment screw was so easy to turn, there wasn't any risk of the main flame turning with it.
  • SonVolt
    edited August 2022
    Options
    I need to adjust my 25k burner's max setting b/c it's leaving black sooty deposits on the bottom of my pans. Wonder if it's a similar process. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    its starved for air if there is soot, you can back off on the gas and lose btus to reduce the soot but theres air shutters on these as well. you want to increase the airflow. not sure if this is your burner but watch this

SonVolt said:
    I need to adjust my 25k burner's max setting b/c it's leaving black sooty deposits on the bottom of my pans. Wonder if it's a similar process. 

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if the airshutters dont work, there just might not be enough air entering the room, i have problems with the woodstove if the dryer is venting outside as an example. you can test this by just opening the door with the big burner on
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    NDG said:
    Did you happen to notice any change to the burners' high end, after the adjustment?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Botch said:
    NDG said:
    Did you happen to notice any change to the burners' high end, after the adjustment?  

I did not @botch it was such a minute adjustment

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Botch said:
    NDG said:

I adjusted my simmer burner last night as low as it would go and it had no noticeable affect on the max flame output.   It should simmer like a boss now. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    its starved for air if there is soot, you can back off on the gas and lose btus to reduce the soot but theres air shutters on these as well. you want to increase the airflow. not sure if this is your burner but watch this

SonVolt said:

I opened my air shutter 100% last night and it still left a little bit of soot on the bottom of my stainless pan. I wonder if my gas pressure is too high.  It's not that big a deal, b/c its only on the 25k burner which I typically only use with cast iron and woks, so you don't see the soot anyway. It's a high-heat beast so I'm leery to mess with (don't want to reduce the BTUs). 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:

SonVolt said:

I opened my air shutter 100% last night and it still left a little bit of soot on the bottom of my stainless pan. I wonder if my gas pressure is too high.  It's not that big a deal, b/c its only on the 25k burner which I typically only use with cast iron and woks, so you don't see the soot anyway. It's a high-heat beast so I'm leery to mess with (don't want to reduce the BTUs). 

did you open the door or window and try it again. problem with newer homes is that they are pretty much airtight. my old wooden floors and single pain windows are drafty
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    Options
    My house was built in the late '80s. It's definitely not air tight. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    My house was built in the late '80s. It's definitely not air tight. 

i would consider that a newer home
    fukahwee maine

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    If you have a fireplace, try leaving the flue open. Helps with airflow.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Here's my burner. There seems to just be one sport where the flame is yellow. Maybe I need to run a pipe cleaner through it. 

September 1, 2022 - YouTube
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Here's my burner. There seems to just be one sport where the flame is yellow. Maybe I need to run a pipe cleaner through it. 

September 1, 2022 - YouTube

thats kinda odd for one spot like that
    fukahwee maine

• cssmd27
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Botch said:
    NDG said:

I adjusted my simmer burner last night as low as it would go and it had no noticeable affect on the max flame output.   It should simmer like a boss now. 
    I haven't noticed a difference on any of my burners adjusted and I did them all to give me maximum range of output on each.  I love being able to go really low on all of them but still with excellent heat distribution.