Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Work brisket competition

Options

Comments

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Holy bark baby, those are the darkest briskets I've ever seen!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Holy bark baby, those are the darkest briskets I've ever seen!
    When they come out looking like Keith Richards lungs, you know they’ve got to be good!
  • Powak
    Options
    @Powak I have participated in a local competition for 3 years.  I have done a number of practice briskets and have landed on the following suggestions.  I always slather, inject and rub the day before and place covered in cling wrap in the fridge.  I have gone back and forth between foil and butcher paper.  I have learned to produce consistent briskets with either method.  I prefer foil since the paper makes a grease filled super mess.  I cook on a rack over a foil pan so I prefer to wrap foil over the brisket and pan to save the aujus.  It is very easy to tighten up the bark by removing the foil for 10 or so minutes prior to removing from the smoker.  I also spritz often with water after about an hour.  By using a fine mist, it won’t wash off your rub and will help build a very nice bark.  Hopefully these suggestions will help.  I have won first places 3 years in a row.

Holy smokes those look killer!!!  Do you also let the meat sit out on the counter and come up to close to room temperature before throwing on the smoker?
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I read the title as “worst brisket competition” and silently mused to myself that maybe I finally had a shot at winning a bbq competition. 

Yours looks great!
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    If I entered the worst brisket competition, I would lose to my co-worker who honestly believes a brisket flat and a tri-tip are the same cut of meat. 

He was asked to leave the Sam's for arguing with a pimply faced kid filling the meat cooler until the manager had to get involved.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Powak I put my briskets on cold, (unlike steaks and tritips).  It absorbs smoke while cold so getting it in there longer helps with the smoke profile. 
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    serve it like this on a platter

May be an image of 1 person and food

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Legume said:
    This is gonna sound stupid to some, but I’ve had great luck and lots of compliments when I paint the brisket with a vinegar and sugar slurry as I wrap it.  The fat and juices melt into the slurry and it all gives you a bbq sauce-like bark that is incredible.  Don’t cook above 275 and unwrap and set the bark at the end, like is done with 321 ribs.
    I don't know, would have to sample, but vinegar on brisket doesn't sound good.

I have to look up this foil boat method. Never heard of it 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Legume said:
    This is gonna sound stupid to some, but I’ve had great luck and lots of compliments when I paint the brisket with a vinegar and sugar slurry as I wrap it.  The fat and juices melt into the slurry and it all gives you a bbq sauce-like bark that is incredible.  Don’t cook above 275 and unwrap and set the bark at the end, like is done with 321 ribs.

It’s probably a bad idea, I’d skip the vinegar.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    old trick from Thirdeye . . . rub with Morton Tender Quick, rinse after 10 minutes . . . produces a nice smoke ring
    HTH
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Nothing I have ever done has made as much of a difference as a really long 6+ hour rest.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Powak
    Options
    Nothing I have ever done has made as much of a difference as a really long 6+ hour rest.
    And I’m actually thinking about doing something like that for this. Possibly making this cook an early all-nighter into the day if the comp and then resting all day till feed time in maybe my crock pot.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:
    RyanStl said:
    Legume said:

I'm no brisky expert, but you may be on to something. The vinegar maybe tenderizes the protein a bit. Sugar + vinegar is a nice flavor combo IMO. Also the basis for many bbq sauces. The sugar itself likely carmelizes  a bit, and may add to the bark?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    RyanStl said:
    Legume said:

I'm no brisky expert, but you may be on to something. The vinegar maybe tenderizes the protein a bit. Sugar + vinegar is a nice flavor combo IMO. Also the basis for many bbq sauces. The sugar itself likely carmelizes  a bit, and may add to the bark?
    Give it a shot, it’s a little different and probably not right for the no sauce crowd, but we love it.
  • Powak
    Options
    Is there a trick to injecting so the final product doesn’t look like alpine lace Swiss?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Powak said:
    Is there a trick to injecting so the final product doesn’t look like alpine lace Swiss?

inject with the grain where you can.

Edit to add I am 100% anti-injection, but people who do comps like it and they inject with the grain.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Powak
    Options
    Went over to Malwart today. Heard they have big packers. They do and their choice grade and kinda alright looking. $3.96 a pound. Anyone had experience recently with these? I know my buddy’s using the point off one for his cook for the competition. I’m thinking of hitting my local butcher shop for their brisket which runs usually about $6/lb, is choice grade but has always yielded excellent results. Here’s some pics of the Wally’s packers I saw today:

• Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Powak If you can get prime I would definitely go that route.  Trust me it’s totally worth it.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Agree.  Don't skimp for a competition.  Get the best you can find.  Prime or Certified Angus.

We're not all here helping you with this just so you can tell us that you lost.   =)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    All I will offer here as the amount of energy invested in this thread is quite high, is that the quality of meat going in has a major impact on the outcome.  So, to break that bank, give a SRF brisket a look; linked here:
    https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-wagyu-beef/brisket.html  Black grade will likely be over the top.  Never mind Gold.  =)
    No affiliation here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Since it's not our money I insist you buy Wagyu. Just kidding, but I would at least get prime.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Powak said:
    And I’m actually thinking about doing something like that for this. Possibly making this cook an early all-nighter into the day if the comp and then resting all day till feed time in maybe my crock pot.
    @Powak, on extended rests, you do not want/need to run the brisket to the finish on the smoker or it may fall apart when slicing .....if am doing extended rest over 12 hours , if bark is set and I am 185-190 I will pull , it will finish in the rest ...My 2 cents on extended rest 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Since it's not our money I insist you buy Wagyu. Just kidding, but I would at least get prime.
    Agree, when it comes to designer brisket, Wagyu is a must, not Armani.
    canuckland
  • Powak
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    All I will offer here as the amount of energy invested in this thread is quite high, is that the quality of meat going in has a major impact on the outcome.  So, to break that bank, give a SRF brisket a look; linked here:
    https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-wagyu-beef/brisket.html  Black grade will likely be over the top.  Never mind Gold.  =)
    No affiliation here.  
     Checked those prices out and really that’s a good deal on the black grade. Not enough time
    to order, receive it and let it defrost for this cook but will definitely be ordering from those guys in the future.
  • Powak
    edited August 2022
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Powak said:
    @Powak, on extended rests, you do not want/need to run the brisket to the finish on the smoker or it may fall apart when slicing .....if am doing extended rest over 12 hours , if bark is set and I am 185-190 I will pull , it will finish in the rest ...My 2 cents on extended rest 
    On that note what would you guys do for a competition? Would you cook ahead and then reheat for feast time or is it better have the meat finish and rest right up until it’s time to eat?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Powak said:
    lkapigian said:
    Powak said:
    On that note what would you guys do for a competition? Would you cook ahead and then reheat for feast time or is it better have the meat finish and rest right up until it’s time to eat?
    For events ( catering)  I always pre cook and reheat, competition , time it right
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Powak
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Alright I’m going to take mine from rest to the comp. I’m going to be doing butcher paper for the wrap so at FTC time do you guys:

A.) Wrap the butcher papered brisket in a towel? 

B.) Put foil around the butcher paper and then the towel around that?

Or

C.) Remove the butcher paper, wrap in foil and then a towel?
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Powak said:
    Alright I’m going to take mine from rest to the comp. I’m going to be doing butcher paper for the wrap so at FTC time do you guys:

A.) Wrap the butcher papered brisket in a towel? 

B.) Put foil around the butcher paper and then the towel around that?

Or

C.) Remove the butcher paper, wrap in foil and then a towel?
    I don't use towels, but I have Cambros, butcher paper then into foil pan ( covered with foil) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    ive gone 8 hours in a cooler wrapped in foil and it stays hot enough. i have put a towel on top but not sure it does much. i preheat the cooler with boiling water and shut it for a few minutes before pouring the water out
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it