Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lo Mai Gai (sticky rice and stuff wrapped in lotus leaves)

This is always on the table when we go out for dim sum, so I wanted to take a crack at it. Of course, Amazon has everything… even lotus leaves!

Started out by deboning some chix drumsticks, and making the filling. 

The leaves are BIG. That’s a 1/4 sheet for reference. 

Made a bunch of different bundles - sticky rice with the chix filling/dried shrimp/ sambal/ egg. 

Steamed in the IP. 

It seems I didn’t get a plated shot, but you get the idea. Also made a Fuchsia Dunlop recipe for pork belly and rice meal/flour (heye fenzheng rou) but forgot to take pics. 

Turned out well, especially the ones with the kick from the sambal. Caliqueen and the MIL loved it, so mission accomplished.

Took some effort. Might be a while before I do it again !

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    edited August 2022
    Sorry, I couldn't resist, but this cook is absolutely worth it!

(Totally an aside, but Dam is a theoretical physicist working in quantum chromodynamics, applications of string theory and many-body physics)

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Doesn’t seem like WOW is enough but I just can’t get over the effort you put forth in your cooks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Yes Sir !!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Fantastic as always!!! Bravo.👏👏
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,319
    Incredible talent right there.  Way to push the envelope.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Fascinating!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Photo Egg said:
    Doesn’t seem like WOW is enough but I just can’t get over the effort you put forth in your cooks.
    Thanks. Its cheaper than therapy :)

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,506
    edited August 2022
    Brings back memories of my late mother's Zongzi. Amazing job you did as usual, now we have to start googling for recipes and source supplies, thanks for the 'trigger'  B)
    Btw traditionally most Chinese folks are wimpy when it comes to heat in food, so your chili makes it less authentic  ;) j/k of course, we serve it with sriracha. 
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Brings back memories of my late mother's Zongzi. Amazing job you did as usual, now we have to start googling for recipes and source supplies, thanks for the 'trigger'  B)
    Btw traditionally most Chinese folks are wimpy when it comes to heat in food, so your chili makes it less authentic  ;) j/k of course, we serve it with sriracha. 
      Happy that something I cooked brings back childhood memories. 

Cantonese dishes usually aren't spicy, correct? We usually cook more Sichuan and northern Chinese food items, so had to amp this up a bit.  The sambal added nice heat and flavor, but I knew my MIL would need to see a chili in her food :)   

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    Awesome.

I love how you just toss in the Fuchsia Dunlop pork belly at the end like it’s some kind of throwaway line, lol.  I bet that was plenty tasty all by itself.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Awesome.

I love how you just toss in the Fuchsia Dunlop pork belly at the end like it’s some kind of throwaway line, lol.  I bet that was plenty tasty all by itself.
    Thanks.

I didn't pay as much attention to the pork belly item, because my day ended up being hectic. So focused on getting at least one item right. Its got legs though, so will likely make an official appearance soon.