Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Taco Seasoning

Options
alaskanassasin
alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
 For years I have been using Old El Paso taco seasoning on hamburger tacos and more recently I have been flirting with Ortega.

A few years ago I posed this question in the form of Fajita seasoning preference and the extensive brain trust here pointed me to H-E-B chicken fajita seasoning as well as Bolner's Fiesta Brand salt free seasoning, both of which are now favorites.

So I ask of you, what is your favorite Taco seasoning?
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2022
    Options
    When I don't use old El Paso I make my own. This is enough for about 1lb-1 1/2lbs of meat.

Taco Seasoning

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    No joke...mine AND my dog's favorite also is Old El Paso Original!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dried coriander is another very common spice in taco mix but I rarely use it. Play around with a TSP and see if you like it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    adding the liquid from the tomatoes is my version of adding water to the packaged seasonings like you mentioned using. It gives you that same flavor and texture but with all real ingredients. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    something i need to improve on. mccormics and el paso are so easy to use but i regret it being too salty everytime.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Lawrys (of season salt fame) also makes a pretty good taco seasoning. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Make my own. I don’t measure but these are the ingredients:
    Cumin
    Coriander
    Chili Powder
    Ancho Chili Powder
    Garlic powder
    onion powder
    smoked paprika

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• EggObsessed
    Options
    We have yet to meet a Bolner's Fiesta seasoning we don't really love. I used to make one batch of taco meat at a time, with DOUBLE the recommended Fiesta Taco Seasoning. Now, I make 6# of taco meat at a time (to freeze in 16 oz containers) and I use Fiesta Taco Seasoning as my BASE, reducing the recommended amount, then add other seasonings to it, such as Goya Adobo, Fiesta Garlic Pepper, etc.

Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2022
    Options
    We only use the Frontera ones.  They have several, we haven't had one that wasn't fantastic.  Also recommend any of their salsas and (back when going to the office was a thing) we had a couple of their frozen burrito bowls in the office freezer if we needed an emergency lunch.

Rick Bayless for the win on anything Mexican.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Years ago we stumbled on a puffy taco recipe from Southern Living. We've never actually made the puffy tacos (Someday we will) but the taco meat is great. Now its on MyRecipes. For the beer, we use Negro Modelo. 

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/san-antonio-beef-puffy-tacos

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    You all are the best, great ideas here thanks!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Couple that we cycle through:   Hardcore Carnivore and HEB (I know most don’t have HEB).   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Adobo Paste for all things Chili- Esque  B)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Also if you make your own, I highly recommend Mexene Chili Powder. It's been my go to for 20 years.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Also if you make your own, I highly recommend Mexene Chili Powder. It's been my go to for 20 years.

The chili recipe, not chili con carne, on the back of this jar is great. Only modification I make is adding beans
  • HogFather
    HogFather Posts: 260
    Options
    I prefer the strawberry 

Fighting off the trolls 1 by 1
    Large Egg

Pig, KY 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Just got this and haven't tried it yet

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

I’ve used and loved Mexene for probably longer than you have been alive! I even have a recipe for chili dog sauce using Mexene that I loved that my aunt used to make when I was only 6 years old! (72 years ago…)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Acn
    Options
    loco_engr said:

Those are the ones I mentioned above.  Way better than the packets you mix with water

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Alton Brown's recipe...  I mix it up and keep it in a ziploc bag in the freezer~ sodium levels on the packaged stuff is off the charts, so I can control it this way...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/taco-potion-19-recipe-2115513
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    we love all the Fiesta stuff. I have gone to making my own taco seasoning. I don't measure but: sweat a bunch of onions and celery in butter or EVOO (this is the secret ingredient to Tex Mex Picadillo/taco meat). add 2lbs ground beef and lightly brown. add (in order of magnitude) chili powder (2-3TBS for 2lbs of meat?) , paprika (1TBSP?) , Ground Cumin (1TBSP) garlic powder (TSP), Salt (TSP), Pepper (tsp)   Mexican oregano (TSP) and a can of crushed tomatoes. let that simmer down until all the water is out and the texture is wet but not runny. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust any of the other flavors up if needed. Do not over season before reducing the liquid! it will all concentrate right at the end. We add black beans sometimes (at the end just to warm them up- make sure to drain them) as well to bulk it up and add some good nutrients/fiber to it. 

This is basically the homemade version of McCormick's taco seasoning but adding tomato and celery (theirs has onion powder, I use whole onion) . 

Don't underestimate the sweated onions and celery. It totally disappears in the mix but it is the secret ingredient for sure. Took me years to figure that out and I finally asked my local joint "what that flavor was" and they told me it was celery and onions. They were not lying ha ha. 
    Had to look up sweating onions, never heard of that. Turns out this is very similar to what I do, but never used celery. I'll have to try the celery, which is an ingredient I'm starting to like more and more.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Alton Brown's recipe...  I mix it up and keep it in a ziploc bag in the freezer~ sodium levels on the packaged stuff is off the charts, so I can control it this way...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/taco-potion-19-recipe-2115513

I reheated some taco meat the other day and it seemed like it was distilled down to salt and hamburger.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    loco_engr said:

I will try and source some locally, amazon wanted $8 a packet.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    loco_engr said:

I'll send you some if you can't find it. We have it at HEB
  • Acn
    Options
    loco_engr said:

Their website (Buy Now | Frontera (fronterafoods.com)) is showing Target, Safeway, and Walmart as likely to have it in my area (although I always get it at our Wegmans, so that list isn't exhaustive), so you can always check those sites too to see if it is in your neighborhood.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    loco_engr said:

You sonofagun and your HEB lol
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Thanks @Acn
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Acn said:
    loco_engr said:

Their website (Buy Now | Frontera (fronterafoods.com)) is showing Target, Safeway, and Walmart as likely to have it in my area (although I always get it at our Wegmans, so that list isn't exhaustive), so you can always check those sites too to see if it is in your neighborhood.
    My local Aldi does not carry their seasoning but does have their salsas and they are good too. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    loco_engr said:

It's crazy how expensive certain things are on Amazon.