Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beware of grilling brush hazards!!!!!

Options
johnmitchell
johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
The official start of summer. Grill brush dangers, what do you use to clean your grill grates?
Greensboro North Carolina
When in doubt Accelerate....

Comments

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    TheToast said:
    Putty knife

You Brits use cheese knives for putty there in the UK?  Not complaining, just an observation.

Options
    @theyolksonyou. Classic Jason
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    You’re supposed to clean them? Doesn’t that ruin the patina?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,101
    Options
    Wooden paddle and ball of aluminum foil.  Having had a metal bristle stuck into my mouth, subsequently finding more on the chicken I was serving to my kids, I have a massive aversion to metal bristles.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I use the next fire.  But I also appreciate the alert (and for most BGE members, it is a year-round deal).  
    Here's a link as this is a definite concern
    Re: Doctors Issue Warning  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

:D  :D
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    A grill brush. All ya gotta do is pay attention and clear any bristles that come off.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Billy Bar
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    scottc454 said:
    A grill brush. All ya gotta do is pay attention and clear any bristles that come off.
    Sorry, but unless you are VERY careful and have a great eye then tiny, worn, single steel or brass pieces can easily be hidden! Most of those brushes are cheap crap from China and the bristles are not properly embedded, but it’s your call! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito

That guy makes me think I can handle a bristle or two 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    scottc454 said:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito

That guy makes me think I can handle a bristle or two 
    Why take the risk?  There are easier ways to clean, and safer ways.  If you want the risk that is one thing, but why risk your family and friends too?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    I use momma's beard hair to clean my grill but honestly, I do it because I like the crunching sound when I slam her face on the grid and rub it back and forth. I suspect that the cast iron reverberates more, but since her face looked so dark, striped, and hurt after that, I can't tell you about the regular grid.

I'll be honest ... For like three seconds, I wished I used her face to clean the regular grid first

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    I use momma's beard hair to clean my grill but honestly, I do it because I like the crunching sound when I slam her face on the grid and rub it back and forth. I suspect that the cast iron reverberates more, but since her face looked so dark, striped, and hurt after that, I can't tell you about the regular grid.

I'll be honest ... For like three seconds, I wished I used her face to clean the regular grid first

Is your momma's safe word still hippopotamus?
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Putty knife—with some notches I cut on the corner of the wheel on my bench grinder.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have used this bristle free brush for years.

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I use a stainless steel welding brush. The bristles are the size of small nails, so if any came out they would be easy to spot. However, in the years I have used it, none have come out. Makes quick work of anything left on the grill, which I scrub while hot.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    scottc454 said:
    Go for it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Buy quality brush, not dollar store cheapie, and change every season. Also remember brush is for loosening dirt not cleaning. Regardless of the utensil you use, wipe with wet towels after scrubbing, heaven forbids, should there be errand bristles there's a good chance the towel will remove/move it out of harm's way.

I heard about someone who just had a $3k+ grill delivered and set up, as the delivery crew was wheeling away his old grill for disposal he ran after them to retrieve his really old brush, what do you expect?
    canuckland
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    "Is your momma's safe word still hippopotamus?"

No, we had to change it to a non animal theme after we went to the zoo, she actually saw the hippos, screamed hippopotamus and every man in a 40ft radius stopped what they were doing. 

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I know this bristle risk is real, but I was the kid that ran with scissors, I've never had a bristle issue, but I'm now hyper vigilant about looking for them.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Yeah, I don’t want to experience any of that.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Yeah, I don’t want to experience any of that.
    Especially when you do.the math.  Only 1 of 6 did not require surgical intervention.  Not good odds.
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options
    BGE V-Notch grill scraper https://biggreenegg.com/product/big-green-egg-grid-cleaner/ and tinfoil 
    LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    From the thread title, I expected this to be about brush fires caused by grills.  

To answer the question, wood paddle and the BGE ash tool.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range