Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,258
    Options
    That JD stuff is legit all the way. They have an offering that isn’t barrel proof for a lighter experience. It truly a great value. Enjoy. 
    After finishing a couple fingers of it I’d have to agree with you. Believe it or not, this was my first bottle of a JD product ever.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Bottle kill

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ton_Til
    Options
    CTMike said:
    The boss is up in the GWN visiting the grandkids (unfortunately I was not able to go - work is such a nasty 4 letter word). Since she is out of town I figured I’d do a little day drinking while babysitting the brisket on the pellet pooper. 126 proof - has some heat on the back end but overall I feel it’s very good. 

So I picked this up at the Nex on base, box was already beat up from shipping.

@lousubcap @ssn686

Pretty cool that this particular barrel was selected by a former bubblehead who is now an Assistant GM at JD:

I havent had the heroes one but I bought 4 bottles of the JD SB BP. Its one of my favorites right now.
  • Ton_Til
    Options
    Bottles that werent picked up in the lotto at my local store went on sale today. I was 2nd in line and grabbed this for $59. Really liking it.
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options

12.8% stout aged for 33 months in 16 year old heaven hill barrels.

Brandon - Ohio

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

12.8% stout aged for 33 months in 16 year old heaven hill barrels.
    Whoa 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,204
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Rolling out the big guns tonight:

Mexican coke and the peanuts-needed a pause in the adult beverages.
    Thanks again to @Ozzie_Isaac for the flashback.  
    This has become a new occasional treat for me.  Glad you all convinced me to try it.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,534
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day!  Great score.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    I see your pecan Shiner @Battleborn

. . . And raise you a Hazelnut KBS

😁
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

Consumption planned for tomorrow night. Single barrel store pick
    I am always in envy of your connections.  Enjoy that rare acquisition.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Would I be canceled if I were to have a white russian?  Asking for a friend…
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,065
    Options
    Would I be canceled if I were to have a white russian?  Asking for a friend…
    Pretty sure they’re called White Ukrainians now, comrade!
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,258
    edited March 2022
    Options
    No photo but I am currently enjoying some WP 12 y/o Old World Rye - Wine Cask Finished -  very smooth.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Not a store pick but back at ya @ColbyLang

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmchicago said:

Smoked Manhattans. 
    cheers Dennis!
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Trying this out again. 

• TechsasJim
    Options
    ^ ok so heck yah, past the neck and let it rest a couple weeks.   It has opened up and calmed down on the heat.   Liking it now!
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 584
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I'm an "appreciate bourbon/rye" guy but just really getting onto it.  Go to bourbons are Woodford, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleit. Also dig Bulleit's rye. Where do I go from here? I have a low key bottle shop local that gets unique/rare stuff in consistently. The only better bottle i've had much of was a Henry McKenna 10 year which I really enjoyed.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Many enjoy McKenna 10 yr old bourbon.  I am not one but for the price point you should check it out. FWIW-
  • pgprescott
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    I'm an "appreciate bourbon/rye" guy but just really getting onto it.  Go to bourbons are Woodford, Buffalo Trace, and Bulleit. Also dig Bulleit's rye. Where do I go from here? I have a low key bottle shop local that gets unique/rare stuff in consistently. The only better bottle i've had much of was a Henry McKenna 10 year which I really enjoyed.
    Oh boy! I have no idea. 😁😁😁

In all seriousness, it’s about finding what you like. A good place to start in my opinion is with some great steadfast lineups like four roses, wild turkey (russels reserve and Kentucky spirit) knob creek line up 9 and 12 yo. The lineups expand from there but usually follow similar tasting traits. The buffalo trace lineup is great but as you can gather from this thread, not always available. However, I can usually always find regular buffalo trace, Eagle rare, col. Taylor and Weller special reserve in my area. The prices are creeping up steadily to a point I feel some of the earlier recommendations I made are a better start. The bulliet 10 and blenders select are quite good imo. 

Enjoy. The hunt is never ending. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @FrostyEgg the rabbit hole is deep.  Try various - price points.  A rye I always go back to is Templeton.   Doesn’t break the bank nor disappoint..at least for me.   

@ColbyLang they have quite an impressive collection and I enjoy their picks.   

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 584
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @pgprescott

DAYUMMM! Going to pick a producer, grab a few, and rise and repeat. Not sure how rare the stuff my local shop gets in is, but I consistently see $200+ tags.  I'll snap pics next time im in and start a thread!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    @pgprescott

DAYUMMM! Going to pick a producer, grab a few, and rise and repeat. Not sure how rare the stuff my local shop gets in is, but I consistently see $200+ tags.  I'll snap pics next time im in and start a thread!
    There is great stuff from 20-70 bucks. Once you get over 60-70 bucks your in pretty deep water for American whiskey. Not to say you can’t spend a bundle but not too long ago you could walk into any fine liquor store and find bottles of Blantons at 60-65 all day. That was considered really expensive for bourbon and very few would pay the steep price. Now if you walk in and see it at anything under a hundo, you’re lucky and it’ll be fine in a day or less. Many of the real pricy stuff is jacked up by the store owners or boutique stuff. The boutique guys are often buying whiskey from another provider which puts another layer of cost. I personally am not offended by the latter scenario as it is the price the community is paying to grow the industry. There are just tons of great ones in the sweet spot I mentioned earlier. If your budget allows heck splurge on the higher priced ones. Just keep in mind that price is absolutely not a guarantee of quality. If you are in an area where you can try the high priced ones at tastings in store or at a bar, I highly suggest that prior to dropping 100-300 or more on a bottle. Good thing is that you won’t get sciatica because this hobby empties you wallet quicker than egging. 😁
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,204
    Options
    Been juicing lemons and cooking all evening.  Made a concoction.  Fresh lemon juice, ice, lemon zest, and 4 Roses.  Pretty tasty.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    gold rush 

• pgprescott
    Options
    One of my personal favorites. It has a hint of oak from the long aging but that’s my jam. I love it. Cheers!