Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food/cooking goals for 2022?

I've been thinking about this, recently. Some thoughts that have crossed my mind:

- moar "from scratch" Thai food. Thanks, @Mattman3969.
- Persian/Iranian food
- Look at a map, pick a country I haven't cooked anything from, and learn something. 

What's on your mind for the year?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    caliking said:
    I've been thinking about this, recently. Some thoughts that have crossed my mind:

- Persian/Iranian food
    - Look at a map, pick a country I haven't cooked anything from, and learn something. 

Antarctic cuisine? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Not a country.  Try again.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    More seafood. 
  • Legume
    I haven’t cooked a brisket in a couple of years, want to revisit that as prime rib is too easy and boring :wink:

More seafood and vegetarian on the regular.

I want to get back to tacos, especially seafood tacos.

More whole spices, less preground and mixes.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    - Do my first ever caveman steak
    - Get patio umbrella fixed, solidly.  This protects me for the elements when Egging.  In process.   🙂
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • I’ve not attempted a brisket yet. On the list for this year. 
    Plainfield, IL
    XL BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    kl8ton said:
    caliking said:

- Persian/Iranian food

Antarctic cuisine? 
     One can only eat so much reindeer jerky. 

• caliking
    Legume said:
    I haven’t cooked a brisket in a couple of years, want to revisit that as prime rib is too easy and boring :wink:

I decided a few years ago, that brisket wasn't worth chasing. Enough of my associates can do brisket better than I can, that the itch will get scratched. 

When you say "more whole spices...", do you mean buying whole, and grinding them yourself? Or more whole spices in cooked food(s)?

Both notions have merit, IMO. Coarse ground coriander in rubs (vs. finely ground), was a game changer, a few years ago. Almost everything I 'cued tasted WAY better. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    caliking said:

- Persian/Iranian food

Thai has been on the back burner here for a bit because of the sodium thing and we are really missing it.  I’ve been dabbling in with some different curry flavors relying on more homemade paste and curry seasonings but not much stir fry.  

@caliking - the last soup you posted with all the spices  wrapped up gave me an idea.  I used the same spices and added some black cardamon to unsalted chicken stock to steep for a couple hrs. Threw in some sliced chicken breast, veggies  and wide rice noodle and made an out of this world chicken noodle soup.  Thanks for the inspiration!  

Onward and upward with this new way of cooking. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    No plans/goals, just fly by the seat of my pants  :)
    canuckland
  • Legume
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

I decided a few years ago, that brisket wasn't worth chasing. Enough of my associates can do brisket better than I can, that the itch will get scratched. 

When you say "more whole spices...", do you mean buying whole, and grinding them yourself? Or more whole spices in cooked food(s)?

Both notions have merit, IMO. Coarse ground coriander in rubs (vs. finely ground), was a game changer, a few years ago. Almost everything I 'cued tasted WAY better. 
    Buying more whole spices, toasting and grinding as I go.  I’ll have to try the coarse coriander.  I like adding coriander to things, often unexpected and hard to identify.

I don’t have anyone near me that can nail a brisket.  When I go wrong, it’s burnt ends and chili.  Always stocks the freezer with quick to prep meat for whatever another day.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Work on my sauces. Really slow down and whatever I cook make it better. Repeat recipes closer together for better practice. It's really hard to make something better if the last time you made it was a month ago. Keep better documentation.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    texaswig said:
    Work on my sauces. Really slow down and whatever I cook make it better. Repeat recipes closer together for better practice. It's really hard to make something better if the last time you made it was a month ago. Keep better documentation.
    Learning the ‘Mother Sauces” is a game changer 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • I’d like to learn how to cook some Ethiopian or other African dishes.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I hope to avoid gutter oil all together this year. Fingers crossed. 🤞🏼
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited January 2022
    @caliking great goals !! My wifes goal is veg fwd Mediterranean and I focusing on explosive flavor Asian Food - authentic if possible !!  I didn’t use my wok much last yr, hope to change that.

If you are like me, you need a break from buying cookbooks, but my close friend since diapers married an Iranian and they make amazing food, he SWEARS by this cookbook.  

Bonus, look at their crazy meal from from Christmas Eve !!

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    lousubcap said:
    Simplify my life by not going down any of the new cooking gear rabbit holes that will appear here.  
    Experiment with paella ingredients and nailing the socaarat.  
    Get chargrilled oysters back into a more frequent rotation.  
    Continue to chase the brisket holy grail.  
    that first goal 😂
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I’d like to learn how to cook some Ethiopian or other African dishes.

Sambusa is on my list of goals for this year. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @northGAcock - way to stay the course.  I'm sure your patience has been rewarded with your new home.  You've got some serious BGE ground to make-up.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    @caliking - I definitely recommend this for Persian recipes:

Bottom of the Pot: Persian Recipes and Stories https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1250134412/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XP5QC8PBFRRKFWNCNZMH

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I want to improve my pizza making on the OONI.

Which basically means I need my wife to step-up her pizza dough game as that is her assignment. 

We recently bought a new WOLF oven with a proofing setting. Hoping that helps.

Otherwise, maybe brisket #2?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • caliking
    Acn said:
    @caliking - I definitely recommend this for Persian recipes:

Bottom of the Pot: Persian Recipes and Stories https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1250134412/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XP5QC8PBFRRKFWNCNZMH

I've had that book in my Amazon cart for a while. And, now I see that it's 40% off...

• caliking
    NDG said:

Good grief! That looks amazing! 

I didn't think I'd be buying 2 cookbooks this week. caliqueen keeps telling me I need to stop buying cookbooks. All I hear is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

• -Document paella cooks for more consistency.
    -More stir fry
    -More ethnic foods - Vietnamese and Indian
    -Getting more groceries at ethnic stores
    This book is great for Vietnamese.  Reminds me a lot of when I was there.
    https://amzn.to/3qWHtqN

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    dmchicago said:
    I want to improve my pizza making on the OONI.

Which basically means I need my wife to step-up her pizza dough game as that is her assignment. 

We recently bought a new WOLF oven with a proofing setting. Hoping that helps.

Otherwise, maybe brisket #2?
    What’s your pizza dough recipe? I run a 62% hydration with high protein bread flour. Salt and yeast. This is for my buddies pizza restaurant. We static freeze pre-portioned dough balls. He then slacks in walk in cooler in a dough box.

proofs at room temp once slacked in dough box from morning prep (7:30am) until use. Could be 11am when they open, could be last pie at 10pm. No actual proof in a warmer or proof box
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    caliking said:
    I've had that book in my Amazon cart for a while. And, now I see that it's 40% off...
    Dammit.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure