Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Your definition of "In the rotation"-

Recovery night -Curious as to your definition of "In the rotation" especially regarding the implied calendar deal as I have never subscribed to that dynamic.  Readily admit that certain cooks pop up on the menu more frequently than others but not calendar tracked.  Insights appreciated.
Happy New Year.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    yep, If I always have the ingredients on hand and can do it in my sleep.
  • I think of in the rotation items as easy cooks that are weekly or bi-weekly like salmon and chicken…
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,416
    Varies regionally I’m sure, but as others have said…no recipe and over 50% of the ingredients on hand, it’s in the rotation 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    It's sitting on my turntable.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
     Mexican martinis are in the rotation. 

Actually, all we have is rotation meals right now. Need to get out of the rotation, or get some new stuff in the rotation. We added a great pork pastor recipe this summer, and now it's rotation. That's one meal man. I need like 10. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Botch said:
    It's sitting on my turntable.  
    I believe they are discussing food, however, I appreciate your sentiment.  I do not have a turntable, but I have various playlists for my cloud based music services.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Can’t even remember the last time I cooked for us lol……Linda is simple though, butter noodles or bologna and cheese sandwich , either one and she’s a happy camper 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    “in the rotation”, I seem to bat 4th because I end up cooking and doing “clean up” work.   

ha, Happy New Year all!!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • "In the rotation" for me ends up being cooks that I might only do 3-4 times a year.  If that.  Meals like meatloaf, fried pork chops or chicken, a fish fry, shrimp boils, etc.  Things that I might not cook until I'm craving them. But I consider them in my rotation. 

My true rotation or rut centers around firing up the Large and cooking burgers, steak, or pork chops. Baked potatoes or frozen fries and green beans. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I think just things we go back to periodically when we get the itch or are wondering what to make which typically are dishes we can riff on so they’re not the same every time.  I’d say 6x/year is probably the floor for us.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    No rotation here . . . but pretty extensive "List"  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I probably have three different rotations.  I would say pizza, brisket, butt, and ribs are not in my rotation.  Those take planning, thought, and are more special.

The first one is, of course, a BGE rotation of burgers, brats, steaks, chicken, pork loin.  The simple things that I can get cooked after work.  These require some form of pre-planning to thaw or shop.

My other rotation is things that I really like and can make with items on hand, and often using some of the leftovers from the first rotation.  Pork Fried Rice, for example with the leftover pork loin. 

Finally, there are a number of things that I keep in the cupboard  and freezer for those nights when I don't grill and don't have anything to make an item on the second rotation.  Those would be items like manwich, tacos, red beans and rice (boxed), pizza rolls, etc.

TL DR: I have a lot of stuff in my rotations.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Thanks for the responses to date.  Great and insightful across the board.  
    I will never look at "in the rotation" the same.
    Keep 'em coming. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    That's a great idea, @RRP.  There is nothing worse than the "What are you hungry for?" / "I don't care, what are you hungry for?" back and forth.

I have that with myself every other night, it seems.  Maybe I should make a calendar!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Langner91 said:
    That's a great idea, @RRP.  There is nothing worse than the "What are you hungry for?" / "I don't care, what are you hungry for?" back and forth.

I have that with myself every other night, it seems.  Maybe I should make a calendar!
    That is perhaps one of the most aggravating conversations I have.  I have it roughly 3x a day.  I will say, I am glad I am not worried if I will find food.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Weekly Rotation for us are Burgers, Sausages and Chicken (all sorts)- one or two of these get the egg lit every week- we make enough for days of leftovers.

Monthly/ bi-weekly - Pizza, Spatchcock Chicken

Special occasion rotation- Pork Butt/ Carnitas, OTT Chili, Pork Loin, Pork Belly Burnt Ends

Not really in rotation is a brisket that is an out of the blue cook for sure.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Tspud1 said:
    Thinking about adding this to rotation
    That would end my rotation.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I would be in an entirely new rotation that is also a colloquial legal term.
    place near me started making birria tacos on fridays. birria taco grease comas are on the friday rotation
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Tspud1 said:

I am pretty sure I can't afford to purchase any of that, on several levels.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Tspud1 said:

.......but all she wants is an A
    Hahaha. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Tspud1 said:

.......but all she wants is an A
    I just spit out my food.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Math can be hard. The angle of the dangle is proportional to the bootie of the cutie and the heat of the meat.
    so what else is in my rotation?