Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rural Internet - TMobile 5G to the rescue

Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
edited December 2021 in EggHead Forum
TL:DR TMobile with external roof mounted antenna 300Mbs for $50. (Need to modify base station and remote mount an antenna, so not user friendly, but compared to my other options, it is amazing.)

Max landline service available is 7Mbs for $60
Max OTA service 15Mbs for $119

I have been using the OTA service, but been stalking Verizon, TMobile, AT&T, and Starlink.  TMobile 5G home internet came through first.  For the first month I have managed 25Mbs and at $50 I was happy, but occasionally the service was flaky.  I have borderline signal with the base station.

Well, I finally got some time to install some external antenna pigtails, the. Install the antenna on the roof and hook it all up.  End result is an astonishing 300Mbs. If this is consistent, I will cancel my OTA and Starlink preorder.

Here is base station modification, added the pigtails.

Here is the roof install. The round antenna is for the OTA, the little rectangular one is for the 5G/4G.  I just aligned it with a new tower that I can see from my roof.  It is about 3 miles away.  I added this just for our local roofing connoisseur @JohnInCarolina

Here is the speed results.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments