Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is up with all the Garlic

Options

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Last night I had to thinly slice 40 cloves of garlic for an upsized cook of Jacques Pepin's classic and delicious balsamic chicken.  This tedious chore was made easy by using the side of a box grater, which has a curved slicer-thingy about 1/2 way down the non-grater side.  IDK why I hadn't thought of it or tried it in the past, but the idea suddenly came to me and I'll never go back to using a knife for this operation.  If you don't like garlic, this tip won't help you.  OTOH, if you like it as much as I do but get put off by having to thinly slice mass quantities of the stuff, you can thank me later.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Last night I had to thinly slice 40 cloves of garlic for an upsized cook of Jacques Pepin's classic and delicious balsamic chicken.  This tedious chore was made easy by using the side of a box grater, which has a curved slicer-thingy about 1/2 way down the non-grater side.  IDK why I hadn't thought of it or tried it in the past, but the idea suddenly came to me and I'll never go back to using a knife for this operation.  If you don't like garlic, this tip won't help you.  OTOH, if you like it as much as I do but get put off by having to thinly slice mass quantities of the stuff, you can thank me later.
    I hate peeling garlic.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I hate peeling garlic.

have you tried shaking between two ss bowls, tried that a while back and its pretty quick. most come out 90 percent or so peeled. took me about 30 seconds of shaking

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I hate peeling garlic.
    I buy the pre-peeled and store it in the freezer.  It keeps as well or better than  regular garlic.  Then when I need some, I just pull the cloves and use the microplane to grate them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I hate peeling garlic.

have you tried shaking between two ss bowls, tried that a while back and its pretty quick. most come out 90 percent or so peeled. took me about 30 seconds of shaking

That is my go to method, but the skins get super sticky and pretty soon they are stuck.to my fingers, the bowls, the floor, the ceiling, the dogs, and the cabinets.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I hate peeling garlic.

That is my go to method, but the skins get super sticky and pretty soon they are stuck.to my fingers, the bowls, the floor, the ceiling, the dogs, and the cabinets.
    Agreed, then I turn on the ceiling fan and "poof".... try wetting the garlic heads, makes a much cleaner less sticky process
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    I hate peeling garlic.

only way to do several dozen cloves though and im not the cleaning crew. it doesnt work with fresh garlic thats been left to dry for a couple weeks, just the store bought for whatever reason. i grow russian red and its spicy hot and that skin is stuck hard on them
    fukahwee maine

• ValleyGirl
    Options
    @Canugghead, I was there,saw you but you were busy.  Spent time with LittleStephen, had a beer with him and he cooked up some of his peanut pork kabobs for me as the line up was crazy.  Good times!
  • bradleya123
    Options
    We use a silicone tube to peel the garlic cloves, in our house more garlic the better!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    We use a silicone tube to peel the garlic cloves, in our house more garlic the better!!!
    I've looked at those; do you have problems with the skins sticking to the inside of the tube?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've looked at those; do you have problems with the skins sticking to the inside of the tube?  
    I imagine a person would want to keep their silicone tubes separate, or they might wind up with the predicament @SGH complained about earlier.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    What is this new device you mention?  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Canugghead, I was there,saw you but you were busy.  Spent time with LittleStephen, had a beer with him and he cooked up some of his peanut pork kabobs for me as the line up was crazy.  Good times!
    @ValleyGirl Belated welcome back! What’s your original forum handle? I kind of remember the name Dawn vaguely. Don’t know if you knew Little Steven passed in April 2018, a sad day and huge loss for all of us. The Nelson family handed out his famous satay recipe at his memorial service!

Here’s the link to the 2011 Toronto fest: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1104863/toronto-fest/p1

canuckland
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    If peeling garlic is a pita you have life made.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ValleyGirl
    Options
    @ValleyGirl Belated welcome back! What’s your original forum handle? I kind of remember the name Dawn vaguely. Don’t know if you knew Little Steven passed in April 2018, a sad day and huge loss for all of us. The Nelson family handed out his famous satay recipe at his memorial service!

Here’s the link to the 2011 Toronto fest: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1104863/toronto-fest/p1

dawnl.  Yes, I heard he passed away, sad day.  I moved from Toronto to the Ottawa Valley 5 years ago and have been busy, don't do much egging in the winter gets really cold here.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Acn said:
    I hate peeling garlic.
    I buy the pre-peeled and store it in the freezer.  It keeps as well or better than  regular garlic.  Then when I need some, I just pull the cloves and use the microplane to grate them.

End qoute.

I do too, but never thought about the freezer. On Thanksgiving I found mine to be moldy, but I was able to save half. I'll try the freezer here on out.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If keeping peeled garlic cloves in the fridge, it helps if you don’t keep them in an airtight container, or sealed plastic bag. 

We stash peeled garlic cloves in this 4.5” steel container, and the cloves last about a month, or so. 

If storing in a plastic bag, I cut slits in the bag.

Discard any moldy cloves you find, periodically, and the rest will last longer. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited December 2021
    Options
    We find the cloves last best in a brown paper bag in the spice cabinet. But we use at least 1 bulb a week, and buy them in bulk.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2021
    Options
    I believe this could have been the (in)famous “suitcase pork” incident that made it into  Steve’s memorial service? I miss that guy. Still have the egg he and @caliking cooked rogan josh on at Salado. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

dawnl.  Yes, I heard he passed away, sad day.  I moved from Toronto to the Ottawa Valley 5 years ago and have been busy, don't do much egging in the winter gets really cold here.
    Just wanted to shout out to say that I am also in Ottawa. There are very few of us in the national capital region, the only other I know of being @paqman
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Botch said:
    Not really, if it happens just a little water down the tube, it works great!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• bradleya123
    Options
    This is it, no idea where we got it but it's works!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• caliking
    Options
    I believe this could have been the (in)famous “suitcase pork” incident that made it into  Steve’s memorial service? I miss that guy. Still have the egg he and @caliking cooked rogan josh on at Salado. 
    Awesome memories were made at that eggfest. Still miss that little gentleman. 

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    caliking said:
    If keeping peeled garlic cloves in the fridge, it helps if you don’t keep them in an airtight container, or sealed plastic bag. 

We stash peeled garlic cloves in this 4.5” steel container, and the cloves last about a month, or so. 

My fridge (pc of junk by the way) seems to circulate the air from the fridge and freezer way too fast, maybe its part of the frost free thing I don't know. My ice cubes sublimate 30% in a matter of a week. One day I put some garlic sausage that I had cut up and didn't finish eating on a plate in the fridge overnight. I went to have some water with ice a couple days later and got hit with a blast of garlic on the first sip. I thought it was a dirty cup at first, but narrowed it down to the ice fairly quickly. This would have been fine if I was making bloody mary's, but with a whiskey/coke....not so much. Its probably time to look at a new fridge
  • caliking
    Options
    poster said:
    caliking said:

My fridge (pc of junk by the way) seems to circulate the air from the fridge and freezer way too fast, maybe its part of the frost free thing I don't know. My ice cubes sublimate 30% in a matter of a week. One day I put some garlic sausage that I had cut up and didn't finish eating on a plate in the fridge overnight. I went to have some water with ice a couple days later and got hit with a blast of garlic on the first sip. I thought it was a dirty cup at first, but narrowed it down to the ice fairly quickly. This would have been fine if I was making bloody mary's, but with a whiskey/coke....not so much. Its probably time to look at a new fridge
    I'm not seeing the problem... =)

• fishlessman
    Options
    poster said:
    caliking said:

my 1970's fridges do the same thing, dont put half an onion in the fridge. took a few weeks to get that taste out of the freezer the last time
    fukahwee maine

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options

Nice! Wouldn’t mind leaving the big smoke but we’re anchored here with kids and new grand babies.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "Strike"...I hear that guy is clinically insane.