Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    WeberWho said:

Do you guys pay more since you drive so little with shorter distances? I remember being over in England and one of our friends who lives there said, "I hardly see my sister. She lives 20 miles away." I couldn't tell if she was serious or not at first. The one other time our British friends flew to the Twin Cities and were floored that we would come and pick them up at their hotel. (A 30 minute drive from our house) They pleaded that they could take a Taxi so we didn't have to drive that far. Which was hilarious. 
    20 miles is a fair poke and could take an hour depending on where in the UK it is.    That distance certainly feels far enough away to be not just around the corner.  Depends what is on the other end of the journey, though doesn't it. 

It's 70 miles to the in-law's & takes 2 hours, nearly all motorway. That's a long journey by average standards.  

Brits traditionally commute up to 30 minutes whether by foot, car or bike.   That is distorted by London where most use public transport and 90 minutes by train(s) is more common.

The UK is a small, awkwardly shaped and difficult to navigate place. Straight roads, urban and rural are rare - apart from where @Eoin lives,  which is essentially the English prairies. 

Public transport is at best patchy and of course the fuel levy is an absolute cash cow for the Treasury. 
    I once read somewhere, that Americans can't quite comprehend 100yrs of history, and the UK'ers can't wrap their brains around travelling 100 miles for anything (paraphrased... poorly). 

My daily commute is 22 miles (one way), and takes 25 mins. Most Americans can't recall what happened 5yrs ago, especially re: politics/politicians. 
    “Can’t” and “Don’t wish to” are very different - FYI 
    Not in this case. And, thanks for proving my point. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    A new leather sofa for our movie room.

Made the expensive mistake last year of ordering a fabric couch online from a company called Article. Probably should have returned it after a couple weeks but it would have been a huge hassle and my hope was that it would wear in a bit and mellow out. Fast forward to a year later. The quality of the Article sofa is terrible. The supposed stain resistant fabric was a joke and the seats are made with cheap low density foam. 

So today I bit the bullet and decided to do what I should have done a year ago and bought a leather sofa. Fingers crossed it holds up like our 2 Bernhardt leather sofas in our living room
    I feel your pain.  Bought a fabric sofa from a local Eclectic Furniture store a year ago.  It is terrible.  Fabric is wearing awful, cushions are breaking down, just garbage quality.  It was so bad, we ordered a leather sofa in August, supposed to be here in April.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I suppose it's challenging recalling history when you're pounded with "alternative" "news" in a media bubble.
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    WeberWho said:

Do you guys pay more since you drive so little with shorter distances? I remember being over in England and one of our friends who lives there said, "I hardly see my sister. She lives 20 miles away." I couldn't tell if she was serious or not at first. The one other time our British friends flew to the Twin Cities and were floored that we would come and pick them up at their hotel. (A 30 minute drive from our house) They pleaded that they could take a Taxi so we didn't have to drive that far. Which was hilarious. 
    20 miles is a fair poke and could take an hour depending on where in the UK it is.    That distance certainly feels far enough away to be not just around the corner.  Depends what is on the other end of the journey, though doesn't it. 

It's 70 miles to the in-law's & takes 2 hours, nearly all motorway. That's a long journey by average standards.  

Brits traditionally commute up to 30 minutes whether by foot, car or bike.   That is distorted by London where most use public transport and 90 minutes by train(s) is more common.

The UK is a small, awkwardly shaped and difficult to navigate place. Straight roads, urban and rural are rare - apart from where @Eoin lives,  which is essentially the English prairies. 

Public transport is at best patchy and of course the fuel levy is an absolute cash cow for the Treasury. 
    I once read somewhere, that Americans can't quite comprehend 100yrs of history, and the UK'ers can't wrap their brains around travelling 100 miles for anything (paraphrased... poorly). 

My daily commute is 22 miles (one way), and takes 25 mins. Most Americans can't recall what happened 5yrs ago, especially re: politics/politicians. 
    Not sure your issue with this comment - most of my circle wish the vote had been different 5 years ago - my post was just a joke on that - sorry and have a great evening -  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Eoin said:
    Buying some petrol.

That would be $116.60 here at the moment, our regular (95 RON).

I think a lot of that is rural/urban.  I used to drive about 11 miles (20-40 min in beltway traffic) to go to Wegmans and people around here were shocked I’d go that far.

By comparison, I grew up in rural Maine, and the closest convenience store was about 12 miles, and 25+ to the nearest supermarket.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Acn said:
    WeberWho said:
    Eoin said:
    Buying some petrol.

That would be $116.60 here at the moment, our regular (95 RON).

I think a lot of that is rural/urban.  I used to drive about 11 miles (20-40 min in beltway traffic) to go to Wegmans and people around here were shocked I’d go that far.

By comparison, I grew up in rural Maine, and the closest convenience store was about 12 miles, and 25+ to the nearest supermarket.
    One of our English friends lives 2.5 hours away from London (I want to say by train) and it was his first time visiting London when he went with us. (He was in his late 20's at the time) His wife also went with us and she had only gone to London once in an 8th grade field trip. (Both friends were born and raised in England) Here in Minnesota we drive further to go cabins for the weekend. Which reminds me that England I believe is smaller than Minnesota. (I may be wrong but I remember hearing that as a kid) I'd imagine driving and traveling has to be much different from us in the States. Where we can put on a 1K+ miles in a day and not be where you need to get. I want to say you can go Northern England to Southern England in around 5 hours? So time and travel has to feel much different with the overall given area of the Country. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    WeberWho said:

Not sure your issue with this comment - most of my circle wish the vote had been different 5 years ago - my post was just a joke on that - sorry and have a great evening -  
    My bad. I missed the joke, so your comment came across differently. I picked "5yrs" arbitrarily, not referencing any specific events, and thus, missed your joke. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Made the expensive mistake last year of ordering a fabric couch online from a company called Article. Probably should have returned it after a couple weeks but it would have been a huge hassle and my hope was that it would wear in a bit and mellow out. Fast forward to a year later. The quality of the Article sofa is terrible. The supposed stain resistant fabric was a joke and the seats are made with cheap low density foam. 

So today I bit the bullet and decided to do what I should have done a year ago and bought a leather sofa. Fingers crossed it holds up like our 2 Bernhardt leather sofas in our living room
    Leather is a fave for being durable and stain resistant here. With two little ones, I love the ease of clean-up on leather. Condition with unscented hair conditioner at least a few times of year to keep it clean and supple. Our stuff looks brand new despite being at least a decade old. (I posted a thread on this technique a while back.)
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Leather is a fave for being durable and stain resistant here. With two little ones, I love the ease of clean-up on leather. Condition with unscented hair conditioner at least a few times of year to keep it clean and supple. Our stuff looks brand new despite being at least a decade old. (I posted a thread on this technique a while back.)
    Ya our leather sofas in our living area are 8 years old but look almost brand new still. We almost pulled the trigger on this same one we bought yesterday last year but thought we would save a few hundred dollars buying online. Won't make that mistake ever again.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• ZGonzz
    ZGonzz Posts: 10
    Options
    Quick question - Looking to buy my neighbor either a 22" Blackstone or Kamado Joe Jr for Christmas.  He has a despicable gasser, he uses all the time for burgers or chicken.  He's retired and elderly.  I can train him on how to use either devices.  

Was going w only a blackstone but wondered if he would use it.   I think he would definitely use the Kamado Joe Jr...  

Which would y'all recommend?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'd go for he Kamado 100% over a griddle.  You can add a griddle to a gasser or kamado and the Blackstone is a PITA to maintain.
    Options
    I'd go for he Kamado 100% over a griddle.  You can add a griddle to a gasser or kamado and the Blackstone is a PITA to maintain.
    @nolaegghead makes excellent points.  The Blackstone is a massive chore compared to a kamado.  You need to be committed to using it couple times a week.  The Joe Jr. can be put out to pasture for a month, and when you hop on, it is ready to go.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ZGonzz
    Options
    Appreciate the input, agree w the PITA of the Blackstone.  I like to use it but it's ugly as hell.

Long time lurker - appreciate the veteran input.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i must be doing this wrong. with the bs i light it, scrape the griddle, put food on it. pretty much the same with the egg. how elderly is the neighbor, does he show interest in kamado cooking, is he willing to learn how to cook in a kamado. i actually dont like cooking burgers in the egg, they go on the gasser or blackstone, especially if theres more than two. i dont like the greasy smoke absorbing into the burger when cooking lots of burgers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    @ZGonzz

It's still on sale at  Walmart for $229. Can't beat that. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ZGonzz
    Options
    @fishlessman - you are right - it's fairly straight forward.  The BS has not held up well here in South Alabama.  The humidity and salt air make it look terrible.  He's shown more interest in charcoal cooking (had a weber previously) then he's had w griddling.  

@WeberWho - I just bought that deal, $229 hard to beat.  They have they have the 22" BS in Gray w Cover for $174.  

Now I need to figure out how to order another Joe Jr for my backyard.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    also you can't smoke on a griddle but you can griddle on a smoker
    Options
    ZGonzz said:
    @fishlessman - you are right - it's fairly straight forward.  The BS has not held up well here in South Alabama.  The humidity and salt air make it look terrible.  He's shown more interest in charcoal cooking (had a weber previously) then he's had w griddling.  

@WeberWho - I just bought that deal, $229 hard to beat.  They have they have the 22" BS in Gray w Cover for $174.  

Now I need to figure out how to order another Joe Jr for my backyard.

coming from  a weber kettle he should find the ceramic much easier to use and 229 is a good price
    fukahwee maine

• Canadianegger2020
    Options
    paqman said:

400$CDN and they had my money but 779$CDN, damn...
    $400 for high end headphones is not unreasonable at all.  $400 for Apple (Beats) headphones is crazy.  I suspect they will be fair to middling.  Most likely bass heavy, muddled mid range and non existent highs.  Coupled with proprietary plugs and totally non-servicable.  I also bet they will sell a bazillion of them and my wife or kids will wind up with a pair against my wishes.
      Oh these are no Beats . These are fantastic sounding , different intention than the intentional heavy base sounding Beats. These are excellent high end headphones . Nobody backs up their products like Apple. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    A selection of rubs from halalpitmaters.com.
    20% off until midnight and free shipping over $50.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    One of these stupid things because she is spoiled and puts up with me. 

Las Vegas, NV

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options

I have the S22i Norditrack , no regerts....The new Pelton is more like the Norditrack , she will love it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options

thats alot of money for a place to hang your clothes =)
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options
    Ordered a couple Kurobuta Pork Collars from SRF to make some Capicola ,saw I was only $189.00 Away for Free shipping, so , tacked on a 20 Pound 
    American Wagyu Black Grade Brisket......Felt like I was getting something free 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options

I have one I got for the misses last year.  I use it more than she does, it has helped me drop 35lbs in 2.5 months.  No regrets from me.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    lkapigian said:

I have the S22i Norditrack , no regerts....The new Pelton is more like the Norditrack , she will love it
    I hope so. As much as I spent on it, I should probably haul my @ss up on it too. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    @lkapigian - Regarding that brisket-I am interested in the actual size.  Several months ago my sister (who has not sent me anything in five years-I do send b'day and Xmas gifts) out of the clear blue sent me a SRF black grade brisket.  Clearly the only weight  range they had in stock when this light bulb went on was the heavyweights.  Turned out it arrived and is listed at 24.9 lbs.  F'me.  Never seen one close to that size before.
    It will be a late spring cook on the stick burner-too much to wrestle with in the chill of winter.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options

They just put these in our gym at work.  I was really impressed with the couple of days I spent with them. My taint took a beating though so I went back to jogging. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian - Regarding that brisket-I am interested in the actual size.  Several months ago my sister (who has not sent me anything in five years-I do send b'day and Xmas gifts) out of the clear blue sent me a SRF black grade brisket.  Clearly the only weight  range they had in stock when this light bulb went on was the heavyweights.  Turned out it arrived and is listed at 24.9 lbs.  F'me.  Never seen one close to that size before.
    It will be a late spring cook on the stick burner-too much to wrestle with in the chill of winter.  
    Will keep you posted @lousubcap it will be here on Friday , hoping for a Sunday cook if it thaws …but then again I have cooked many frozen proteins lol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Thanks @lkapigian.  Unless you are doing the "change the water frequently" or some other magic there is no way that will thaw by Sunday as you well know.  But just get the surface thawed enough for the rub and it falls into the frozen protein cook process. 
    You must have a huge group you are cooking that for.  Whomever is gonna be eating extremely well.  Have fun with that one.  Which rig gets the assignment?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.