Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's cookin' for Thanksgiving 2021??

Options
124»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Nice @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  Meat with sides of meat.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

We finally ate. Sorry for the fork 
    At midnight?

Those lollipops look damn good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

The level of effort for those lollipops is impressive.  I have only wrestled with the chix (minor league).  That plate is a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving. 
    BTW- Fork for the win!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    lousubcap said:

The level of effort for those lollipops is impressive.  I have only wrestled with the chix (minor league). 
    I bought some cheep turkey legs back in college, to strip off the meat for a soup, stew, stuffed pasta or something.  It took me all afternoon, wrestling with all the sinews and gristle, and to this day I will not touch a turkey leg.  I'd rather become a vegan.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am surprised at the prime rib offerings.  I get that is a big deal at Christmas but thought turkey (good, bad or indifferent) ruled the 4th Thursday in November.  
    Learn something new every day here.
    Happy Thanksgiving-a bit early (EST).
    I bought and cooked much more than the needs of our meal. Prime Rib French Dips are a favorite of mine. All that’s needed is hoagies. Had plenty of aujus and rib meet left. Better leftover use than Turkey if you ask me. That said, I do enjoy Turkey tacos. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Botch said:
    lousubcap said:

The level of effort for those lollipops is impressive.  I have only wrestled with the chix (minor league). 
    I bought some cheep turkey legs back in college, to strip off the meat for a soup, stew, stuffed pasta or something.  It took me all afternoon, wrestling with all the sinews and gristle, and to this day I will not touch a turkey leg.  I'd rather become a vegan.  
    Needle nosed pliers my friend!

canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    @Acn - that's a fine looking plate.

The dressing/stuffing looks wonderful. Next year, I'm going to focus on making truly outstanding stuffing. It may be the best part of Thanksgiving (after gravy, of course). 

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That was worth the wait, @Acn. Looks great!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Thanks @caliking and @stillh2oegger!

I agree dressing is probably the best part of dinner.  We’ve actually made this as a solo dinner during the rest of winter. Two keys we’ve found - use really good ingredients and I always finish under the broiler for a little extra browning and crisping on top.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• caliking
    Options
    Pulling off the grill!

What did you think of the spiral cut ham? I usually do the whole ones, but the spiral cut ones would be much easier to serve. 

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    caliking said:
    Pulling off the grill!

What did you think of the spiral cut ham? I usually do the whole ones, but the spiral cut ones would be much easier to serve. 
    All of our family members loved it! It is still juicy when done. I haven’t cooked a whole one so it is hard to compare but the spiraled ones I’ve done soak up some good smoke flavor. I did a bourbon peach glaze that was pretty good. It took about 4 hours to reach 140 IT. It is very easy to carve up for serving and storing.
    LBGE
    AL
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Pulling off the grill!

All of our family members loved it! It is still juicy when done. I haven’t cooked a whole one so it is hard to compare but the spiraled ones I’ve done soak up some good smoke flavor. I did a bourbon peach glaze that was pretty good. It took about 4 hours to reach 140 IT. It is very easy to carve up for serving and storing.
    Sold! I'll plan on doing one for Christmas.

What temp did you have the egg at?

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Will post this here as it looked delicious, and may do a breast like this come Xmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUxhyjyR8NM

Sam TCG actually avoided stabbing himself or even burning himself this time, but his struggles with centering the bird on the rotisserie were quite entertaining.
    And dayam that bird looked good, with the sauce on it!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Pulling off the grill!

@caliking It was running about 250-260 for the cook. It took right at 4 hours. Here is the recipe from meat church:

I'm looking forward to seeing what spin you put on it!
    LBGE
    AL
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Pulling off the grill!

@caliking It was running about 250-260 for the cook. It took right at 4 hours. Here is the recipe from meat church:

I'm looking forward to seeing what spin you put on it!
    Thanks. I think I've done them at a higher temp in the past, maybe too high, given the sugar in the glaze. The color on yours looks perfect. 

Now, I just have to remember this next month :)