Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adobo Paste-Base Recipe

Options
lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,765
edited November 2021 in EggHead Forum
Adobo Paste is one of my go to’s for many things,Chile , Posole ,Sausage ,Salami, Snack Sticks Endless uses …thought I’d share my starting point , and you can build from there depending on your end game 

I start with Ancho , New Mexico And Guajillo about a 2/1/1ratio …this batch will yield about 2 liters of paste which will do about 15 pounds of meat for chili …broken down best I can 

449 grams of peppers ( weight before de stemming and seeding 225 grams ancho 112 grams New Mexico 112 Grams Guajillo 

remove stems and seeds 

heat in 375 degree oven to soften and wake up the oil, turn often , should take just a few minutes 

soak in hot stock for 30 minutes…depending ending on what your end game is, choose your liquid .This is for Posole so, pork stock ( if for chili, beef stock  and please make your own, not boxed or canned ) this was about 3000 grams of stock 

After 30 minutes you will blend then strain, for my base I use ( % to dry pepper weight) 

.67% roasted garlic, about 6 med heads
.22% Cumin
.13% Mexican oregano
 .35% MSG
224% of the soaking liquid

please note, there is no salt in the base, you will salt ( % by weight) to whatever you will be using this on 

blend well and strain out leftover seeds and skin

Refrigerate overnight -enjoy this is just a springboard method , build from here but it has brought me great results 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Thanks and bookmarked. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! Its getting close to chili weather down here, so this will be good to have on hand. 

But, my non-standardized-recipe-following self must register my formal protest... I refuse to start with 449g of anything, or add in 112g of something else, dammit!!! =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    caliking said:
    Thanks for sharing! Its getting close to chili weather down here, so this will be good to have on hand. 

But, my non-standardized-recipe-following self must register my formal protest... I refuse to start with 449g of anything, or add in 112g of something else, dammit!!! =)
    LoL , complaint registered ….never done it either , but today I wrote it all down and did the math “ best guess “ for the recipe v technique people 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Starting to work with dried chiles was a real game changer for me in my cooking journey. I use guajillo/ancho for carne asada, chile relleno, and chili.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Thanks for this.  At least you did your own math - unlike some who make recipes with friends and then leave the (so called) friends to try to use math to recreate the recipe like @caliking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Awesome.  I started doing a version of this for anything that would typically call for "chili powder" (particularly chili and tikka masala).  It is a game changer.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Awesome.  I started doing a version of this for anything that would typically call for "chili powder" (particularly chili and tikka masala).  It is a game changer.
    Yes sir…mix some with a little honey, makes an amazing rib glaze ..endless uses ..if you haven’t tried it with homemade bone stock , give that a go, it’s up yet another notch 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    caliking said:

I'm with you on that, which is why I don't really bake - too much measuring.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

You might appreciate the new book that David Chang has coming out.  Apparently the whole idea is to try and teach people how to cook without using a recipe.  

Not that you need any lessons in that area ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eoin
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Adobo Paste is one of my go to’s for many things,Chile , Posole ,Sausage ,Salami, Snack Sticks Endless uses …thought I’d share my starting point , and you can build from there depending on your end game 

I start with Ancho , New Mexico And Guajillo about a 2/1/1ratio …this batch will yield about 2 liters of paste which will do about 15 pounds of meat for chili …broken down best I can 

449 grams of peppers ( weight before de stemming and seeding 225 grams ancho 112 grams New Mexico 112 Grams Guajillo 

remove stems and seeds 

heat in 375 degree oven to soften and wake up the oil, turn often , should take just a few minutes 

soak in hot stock for 30 minutes…depending ending on what your end game is, choose your liquid .This is for Posole so, pork stock ( if for chili, beef stock  and please make your own, not boxed or canned ) this was about 3000 grams of stock 

After 30 minutes you will blend then strain, for my base I use ( % to dry pepper weight) 

.67% roasted garlic, about 6 med heads
    .22% Cumin
    .13% Mexican oregano
     .35% MSG
    224% of the soaking liquid

please note, there is no salt in the base, you will salt ( % by weight) to whatever you will be using this on 

blend well and strain out leftover seeds and skin

Refrigerate overnight -enjoy this is just a springboard method , build from here but it has brought me great results 

I tend to go for some whole chillies in the adobo sauce that I then chop into dishes then add some sauce, or blend if needed.

One great addition for this is into mayo - just mix a couple of sppons into a jar to make a tasty, smoky and spicy alternative.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    caliking said:

You might appreciate the new book that David Chang has coming out.  Apparently the whole idea is to try and teach people how to cook without using a recipe.  

Not that you need any lessons in that area ;)
    He wouldn’t see it as a lesson.  Just justification.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    of course its mostly dried anchos, i eat those like raisins out of the bag and am always out....
    how long does it keep in the fridge without salt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    Options
    of course its mostly dried anchos, i eat those like raisins out of the bag and am always out....
    I would think with the acid, lower than base ph, indefinite, I use it pretty quick....out of curiosity, when I get home I will measure the actual PH. 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I would think with the acid, lower than base ph, indefinite, I use it pretty quick....out of curiosity, when I get home I will measure the actual PH. 

that would be good to know, thats alot of adobo and would last me a good time. our mexican section has been sold out for a while but this morning i saw that pastene makes it and its hidden with the olives and peperoncinis
    fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:

that would be good to know, thats alot of adobo and would last me a good time. our mexican section has been sold out for a while but this morning i saw that pastene makes it and its hidden with the olives and peperoncinis
    I’d say a long long time 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Eoin
    Options
    It keeps for ages.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    looks like it would be good to can in the smaller jars and keep it out of the fridge. i can do that
    fukahwee maine