Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-New 2022 Tundra

Options
Anyone looking at the new redesigned Tundra?
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They are very nice.  I'm so cheap I'll probably keep my 2006 Ram running forever, but if I was planning on buying I'd be looking for an electric truck, give it a few years for them to mature.
    Options
    I wish they still had the Tacoma. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    SGH said:

https://www.toyota.com/tacoma/
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    SGH said:

18/22 MPG for a Tacoma? Ouch. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I've been looking at them on "u"tube. They look nice. However, I'm not so sure if a twin-turbo six-cylinder engine will handle the duties I need a truck to handle.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:

I’m talking about the original single cabs. Haven’t seen them in a few years. I didn’t see them on that website either. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I would ignore the number of cylinders and focus on the torque specs to see if it will meet your needs for power.
    SGH said:
    SGH said:

I’m talking about the original single cabs. Haven’t seen them in a few years. I didn’t see them on that website either. 
    They haven’t made a standard cab for years. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I would ignore the number of cylinders and focus on the torque specs to see if it will meet your needs for power.
     I am more concerned with towing capacity and gvwr. Little motor will still get you there
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    They haven’t made a standard cab for years. 
    That is what I thought. 

Status- Standing by.

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I am a Toyota fan.  They run forever, and hold their value. I’ve had two Tacomas and now own a 2017 Tundra.  It’s a V8 and gets about 15-18 mpg on the highway.  The gas mileage is the only drawback.

My friend told me about his F-150 Powerboost and I might be sold.  A hybrid full size truck, averages 26-30mpg, 12,000lb towing capacity and an integrated 7500W generator. WHAT!? He said that last year in Texas during the terrible freeze that people actually powered their homes for days with their truck.

The Toyota dealer said that the 2023 Tundras will have a hybrid option but it wouldn’t have the generator.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Huge Toyota fan here. Neighbor has an old Tundra with 300k on it.  I still have a 2000 4Runner that won't die 250k miles.  Also 2013 4Runner with 140k.  I'm eyeing a 4dr, 4WD Tacoma in a couple of years and my SWMBOJr is eyeing my 2013 4Runner. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Hansm
    Hansm Posts: 214
    Options

LG BGE,  Weber Genesis gas, Weber 22" Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Clearly, charging a car using a diesel generator is not the right solution. Remote installations should be solar / wind powered with battery storage where a grid connection isn't available.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Are Toyotas hard to get right now? Ive been trying to find a truck for 8 months. Every dealer within 1000km of me either way only has 1 or 2 to choose from(GM). Of course they are the loaded trucks 70k+. Ended up ordering, then that got cancelled because the paint colour is no longer available. Tried another color on Friday and apparently it will be ready in 2-6 months. Basically the same truck as my '19, but a '22 now and 12k more
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    @poster  My son just ordered a Toyota Tacoma .  at least a 2 month wait to get it.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I would love to get another toyota product, just not a big fan of their recent aesthetic choices. Too much cheap plastic looking trim everywhere outside and inside. Almost bought a Limited 4Runner last year as it's the only one with styling that I like. Hopefully the new 4runner will finally arrive next year as a 2023 and take cues from their Lexus siblings. That's doubtful so I'm sure it will look more like a tonka truck like this new tundra. It's a shame as my current 2005 4runner has 270k miles on it. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Hansm said:

Wow, the technology now is incredible.  That 350kw generator is just a little bigger than my 12kw and much smaller than most!

https://apelectric.com/generac-mgg350-297kw-mobile-gaseous-generator/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-eeMBhCpARIsAAZfxZC9X2BoQq7paNP3QWe3kGTpy7Z7nUqPFrJyHSd8ptnGfAqajbQoDEoaAkCyEALw_wcB
    Options
    Hansm said:

Wow, the technology now is incredible.  That 350kw generator is just a little bigger than my 12kw and much smaller than most!

https://apelectric.com/generac-mgg350-297kw-mobile-gaseous-generator/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-eeMBhCpARIsAAZfxZC9X2BoQq7paNP3QWe3kGTpy7Z7nUqPFrJyHSd8ptnGfAqajbQoDEoaAkCyEALw_wcB
    Free shipping!
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Longtime and loyal GM truck owner here.....both my father and grandfather owned nothing but GM trucks as well....but at my age brand loyalty is petering out.  My main focus nowadays is reliability.  Trucks are no longer affordable and GM has some serious issues.  Failing lifters @ <4000 miles for one.  Future Yoda owner here.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Longtime and loyal GM truck owner here.....both my father and grandfather owned nothing but GM trucks as well....but at my age brand loyalty is petering out.  My main focus nowadays is reliability.  Trucks are no longer affordable and GM has some serious issues.  Failing lifters @ <4000 miles for one.  Future Yoda owner here.
    Same here.  Family of GM owners.  I have owned 9 myself over the last 30 years.  My last GM vehicle was a 2009.  That SOB was in the shop 19 times in the first 16 months I owned it.  I joked I would drive it off a cliff, but the dang door latch would probably fail and I would plummet to my death.

What sold me was my 2008 Pontiac Vibe.  I know that doesn't make sense, but the Vibe was made by Toyota in a joint venture.  Same car as the Toyota Matrix.  That car had 90,000 miles and never needed anything except normal maintenance.  My kids trashed it, but it was a great car.

Once I went to Toyota and Honda, I have never looked back.  The only drawback to owning them is that I don't get Christmas cards from the dealership Service Manager anymore!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Cars buy import. Trucks buy domestic. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RajunCajun
    Options
    :)
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options

I think the Tundra is made in Texas.  My '06 Impala SS was made in Toronto.  For me things were simpler before all this globalization stuff.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    My Ford superduty has been a pretty reliable, and sweet ride. Recently offered more than I paid for it, and I bought it with 5 miles on it and I put 3 of them on there. 

I’m sure every brand has their own issues, but I could rip a house off it’s foundation with my F350, and at the same time I can tackle all the back roads in the mtns, while carrying my overpriced cooler and overpriced rods to the beach for fishing. 

Buy what you can afford, and what you find a deal on. Unfortunately, this ain’t the time for a car purchase, but hopefully it changes. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    dbCooper said:

I think the Tundra is made in Texas.  My '06 Impala SS was made in Toronto.  For me things were simpler before all this globalization stuff.
     I like tundras, if I was in that market I would go with the eco boost 3.5l in the f-150, aluminum body should not rust and vehicle technology is way ahead of the tundra
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Pre 22 obviously. I have no idea about those
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I might wait at least in they start making the 23’ so they can get any of the kinks worked. I have a 2014 Tundra that has been a great truck with no problems except the driver’s side auto door lock motor had to be replaced ($12). I tow our camper with it frequently and I like how stable it is. Gas mileage sucks but I like having the reliability. It’s not a spaceship inside but I don’t really care about all that, I just want a truck that works and won’t leave me stranded. I sold my last tundra after 15 years of zero problems.

We also wanted to buy SWMBO a 4Runner this year before the update. 

Anyhow, I am interested to see how it goes with the newest generation. I like the features and if the reliability is there I’ll probably own one down the road.
    LBGE
    AL
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    I might wait at least in they start making the 23’ so they can get any of the kinks worked. I have a 2014 Tundra that has been a great truck with no problems except the driver’s side auto door lock motor had to be replaced ($12). I tow our camper with it frequently and I like how stable it is. Gas mileage sucks but I like having the reliability. It’s not a spaceship inside but I don’t really care about all that, I just want a truck that works and won’t leave me stranded. I sold my last tundra after 15 years of zero problems.

We also wanted to buy SWMBO a 4Runner this year before the update. 

Anyhow, I am interested to see how it goes with the newest generation. I like the features and if the reliability is there I’ll probably own one down the road.
    I hear lots of good stuff about their reliability.  My comment about gas mileage is that you don't buy a truck for fuel economy.  :). I need a new one and I either (a) buy GM which have known issues with "proven" design or (b) trust that Toyota did their homework and the newly designed 22s will have fewer kinks than GM.  Easy bet for me, Yoda for the win.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    @RajunCajun Have you ordered one?? Either way be sure to post some pictures when you get one!
    LBGE
    AL