Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Need new windows for the house, got the first quote today and dang…

I replaced mine about 5, 6 years ago.  The new ones had solar blocking, which was cool, but the real benefit was how much sound insulating they provided; I live on a somewhat busy street, and the sound was cut at least 50%.  My heating bill was cut about 30%, averaged over the next two years.  
    The bill hurts, but for me at least, was well worth it.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Need new windows for the house, got the first quote today and dang…

So we replaced 5 when we added on outdoor living space. Now she wants to do the remainder….my count is approximately 20..I feel your pain 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I did replacement windows myself, in my old house, back when I didn't have two nickels to rub together.  I bought two or three a year, starting with the worst ones (West side, second story).  I had 11 to replace, so it took a few years.  It was a great project.  I wish I had done it earlier.  House was quieter, heating bills went down, window treatments didn't fade.  

Second best thing I ever did with that house.

So, while expensive, I would bet you will be glad you did it.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    We live in an older house where the prior residents had been swapping out windows one at a time. Most have been done, and luckily, that includes the biggest of them. We do however have two windows in the basement and about five more to do on the main floor. Would love to do it myself, but it seems intimidating. Would be nice to have the work done under some sort of government energy incentive program. Will be keeping an eye out for one. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I did replacement windows myself, in my old house, back when I didn't have two nickels to rub together.  I bought two or three a year, starting with the worst ones (West side, second story).  I had 11 to replace, so it took a few years.  It was a great project.  I wish I had done it earlier.  House was quieter, heating bills went down, window treatments didn't fade.  

Second best thing I ever did with that house.

So, while expensive, I would bet you will be glad you did it.
    I did all of the windows in our first house myself. My highlight was taking out a window while Anne was visiting her mother in Dublin for the weekend. I found that the lintel was an old floorboard, bending under the weight of the brickwork. This put the schedule back a bit, so when she got home, there was a large hole in our bedroom wall. I had failed to clear the DIY before she left (no point, she would have said no).
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Actively searching for a 1969 Estate Grade Rolex for my father. A retirement gift from us (the sons). Will have company logo engraved on rear faceplate. Found a couple on flea bay. Doing our homework on authenticity right now 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Give Bob's Watches a look.  They should have what you want.  Solid company to deal with.  I sold them a 1976 Rolex (old here) as no one in the family expressed interest downstream.  
    https://www.bobswatches.com/  
    Edit:  @ColbyLang
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Thanks Frank. Browsing hard
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Give Bob's Watches a look.  They should have what you want.  Solid company to deal with.  I sold them a 1976 Rolex (old here) as no one in the family expressed interest downstream.  
    https://www.bobswatches.com/  
    Edit:  @ColbyLang
    Is Bob your Uncle?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac I am too old for any uncles.  =)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Picked up some Royal Oak at Walmart this morning for $11 for a 15lb bag. I was paying about $12 at HD but it looks like they went up to $15. Anyhow, I'd say $11 a bag is a good deal in my book! Especially with all the holiday cooking coming up.
    LBGE
    AL
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    Back to business travel. Just booked 2 trips in December, 1 in Jan, and 1 in Feb.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Back to business travel. Just booked 2 trips in December, 1 in Jan, and 1 in Feb.
    Me too, off to Italy at the end of the month.
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Just ordered a case of black clouds for duck season. $30 per box is pretty high for my standards, I have been paying $14 per box for my usual Winchester Drylok shells. I haven’t seen a box of dryloks online or in store since last year, hell I haven’t seen steel shot on local shelves since last September. With our season opening next week, I didn’t want wait. Gotta pay to play I guess. I can’t wait to be back in the blind with our duck hunting crew, we always have a good time no matter what!

LBGE
    AL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    T-Mobile 5G home internet!!!  Ready to step into 2010.  It was a race for Verizon 5G, T-Mobile 5G, and Starlink.  T-Mobile wins round 1!

Current have 12mbps for $119.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    T-Mobile 5G home internet!!!  Ready to step into 2010.  It was a race for Verizon 5G, T-Mobile 5G, and Starlink.  T-Mobile wins round 1!

I've been patiently waiting for it the past couple years. The neighboring city has it. I have no issue with high speed internet but just looking to dump Comcast. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Me too, off to Italy at the end of the month.
    What part? I’d go back to Rome in a heartbeat. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    WeberWho said:

I've been patiently waiting for it the past couple years. The neighboring city has it. I have no issue with high speed internet but just looking to dump Comcast. 
    I cannot get any landline service.  Old utilities max out at 4mbps.  I have a commercial style wifi setup.  Line of sight only to a mountain about 5 miles away.  Super expensive and not very stable, but it is better than the 4mbps from landline.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

I posted elsewhere that I finally got my service bumped back up to the promised 26mbps.  Let us know what kind of speeds you're getting with 5G; I'm still looking for an improvement.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:

I posted elsewhere that I finally got my service bumped back up to the promised 26mbps.  Let us know what kind of speeds you're getting with 5G; I'm still looking for an improvement.  
    Do you have T-Mobile 5G?  They promised a min of 35mbps.
  • Eoin
    Options
    Botch said:

I thought 5G was supposed ti be faster than that? We already get more on 4G, just did a test at 47 mbps. My IT guy says 5G is gigabit. Our old land line is super crappy too, max 2 mbps but ran at dial up speeds a lot of the time.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Lowe's near me in Atlanta has $12 bags of B&B mesquite chunk marked down to $3.  Great pickup for kindling/starters for the solo stove (along with a Rutland starter square).
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If I were in an area without good internet, I would seriously consider Starlink.
    100-200 Mbps with 20ms latency. It's $99 per month. The equipment is $500.
    The beauty of it, it's not the cable company
    My first broadband cable connection was $99 a month for 1 Mbps
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    GregW said:
    If I were in an area without good internet, I would seriously consider Starlink.
    100-200 Mbps with 20ms latency. It's $99 per month. The equipment is $500.
    The beauty of it, it's not the cable company
    My first broadband cable connection was $99 a month for 1 Mbps
    I have a $99 deposit on Starlink too, but the availability is unknown.  T-Mobile has no contract and no hardware fees.  $50/month, cancel anytime with no fee, all I have to do is return the hardware.  I plan to try it for a week before I cancel my other service.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Botch said:

I thought 5G was supposed ti be faster than that? We already get more on 4G, just did a test at 47 mbps. My IT guy says 5G is gigabit. Our old land line is super crappy too, max 2 mbps but ran at dial up speeds a lot of the time.
    5G is supposed to be faster.  My 4G gets 50mbps, but their 5G base station uses 4GLte when strong 5G is available.  They advertise 35mbps - 150mbps depending on your location and on routers location in your house.  I am in a really weird internet blackhole so only bank on 80% of minimum promised.  In the USA, our telecoms are horrible.  I suspect it is easier and cheaper to get real broadband in sub-saharan Africa.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,098
    Options
    Was going to buy some chicken wings, but at $5.50 a pound, I passed. Wound up with Angus Ribeyes for $9.99 pound.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I found some really cool portable tables I like. Probably gonna get 3 or 4 of since they are only $700 american dollars each.https://pecosoutdoor.com/products/the-pecos-table

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I found some really cool portable tables I like. Probably gonna get 3 or 4 of since they are only $700 american dollars each.https://pecosoutdoor.com/products/the-pecos-table
    You can't go wrong with those.  We have 4 that we use for TV trays.  They hold my Hungry Man meals with no problem.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac: What is the approach for a Hungry Man on the Egg?