Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,328
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Another meal ruined. Photos below depict why I have never been satisfied with my particular gasser. All of the potatoes were done over the same heat setting for the same duration. I only turned a few to check before the flip, and they were those cooking the least quickly. As you can see, the variance in cooking across a single potato side can differ wildly. Has been this way since the day I got the grill. I suspect the tolerances for the gas holes in the burner tubes are the culprit. The hot spots are unreal. 

Luckily, the rest of the meal was quite good. Jalapeño brined chops and some raw broccoli salad. 

Have had a lot of other issues with the grill. The grate for the infrared side burner burned through right quickly and some of the metal components rusted almost immediately. The starters also died within months of purchase, though the company sent me replacements. Still a hassle. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,784
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac: Nice looking piece. What brand and blade material? Are you soaking it in soy?
    It is nothing fancy, a Shi Ba Zi Zuo 8-inch chinese kitchen knife.  I have always been curious about the usefulness of the Chinese style kitchen knife.  Since I have started cooking a lot of chinese dishes and eatch a lot of YouTube videos on the subject, my curiosity got the better of me.  The knife os very light (considering what ot looks like) and surprisingly balanced.  Looking forward to spending some time with it.  I am soaking it in instant coffee to try forcing a patina. I have never tried that before, and I am not impressed by the results.  The blade may have some sort of clear coat pr something.  I washed ot well prior to soaking for 2hrs, but it did not get as dark as I expected.

cut alot of onions with it, that seems to start the patina quicker. if you slice it into the onion and leave it over night the rings will show up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac: Mustard also apparently good for forcing a patina.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac: Nice looking piece. What brand and blade material? Are you soaking it in soy?
    It is nothing fancy, a Shi Ba Zi Zuo 8-inch chinese kitchen knife.  I have always been curious about the usefulness of the Chinese style kitchen knife.  Since I have started cooking a lot of chinese dishes and eatch a lot of YouTube videos on the subject, my curiosity got the better of me.  The knife os very light (considering what ot looks like) and surprisingly balanced.  Looking forward to spending some time with it.  I am soaking it in instant coffee to try forcing a patina. I have never tried that before, and I am not impressed by the results.  The blade may have some sort of clear coat pr something.  I washed ot well prior to soaking for 2hrs, but it did not get as dark as I expected.

Looks stainless steel? Coffee soak a carbon steel.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,164
    Options

Lol!  I'm an idiot.  Apparently it is clad in stainless.  Just went and re-read Amazon description.  Could have sworn Kenji Alt-Lopez said it was Carbon steal. That explains the poor/no results.  Please ignore my ineptitude.

Goal for this knife was as a trial piece to see if I like the style.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Lol!  I'm an idiot.  Apparently it is clad in stainless.  Just went and re-read Amazon description.  Could have sworn Kenji Alt-Lopez said it was Carbon steal. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2021
    Options

Lol!  I'm an idiot.  Apparently it is clad in stainless.  Just went and re-read Amazon description.  Could have sworn Kenji Alt-Lopez said it was Carbon steal. 

Buy 'em books, send 'em to school and they are still dumb as a box of rocks.

I even took metal-ology classes, but I am no metal-ologist.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,496
    Options
    The thing I like about the cleavers is their wide blade is excellent for scooping up the chopped veggies to toss them in the wok.  But I never did get used to the different hand position.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Here is the packaging with descriptions if anyone is interested.  My Mandarin is a bit rusty, but the stainless knife isn't.

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Another meal ruined. Photos below depict why I have never been satisfied with my particular gasser. All of the potatoes were done over the same heat setting for the same duration. I only turned a few to check before the flip, and they were those cooking the least quickly. As you can see, the variance in cooking across a single potato side can differ wildly. Has been this way since the day I got the grill. I suspect the tolerances for the gas holes in the burner tubes are the culprit. The hot spots are unreal. 

Luckily, the rest of the meal was quite good. Jalapeño brined chops and some raw broccoli salad. 

Have had a lot of other issues with the grill. The grate for the infrared side burner burned through right quickly and some of the metal components rusted almost immediately. The starters also died within months of purchase, though the company sent me replacements. Still a hassle. 
    Care to share the make of that gasser? The grid pattern looks familiar, but it's been a while since I looked at them.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Kayak said:

Care to share the make of that gasser? The grid pattern looks familiar, but it's been a while since I looked at them.
    Let’s just say that it is Canadian made (largely why I bought it) and set me back a few Gs. I’ll leave it at that, even in the face of speculation. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Kayak said:

Let’s just say that it is Canadian made (largely why I bought it) and set me back a few Gs. I’ll leave it at that, even in the face of speculation. 
    If Canadian dollars then a Broil King, if US dollars a Napoleon.  Based on wavy grill and IR burner I lean towards Napoleon.  I think Napoleons are super nice.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

Lol!  I'm an idiot.  Apparently it is clad in stainless.  Just went and re-read Amazon description.  Could have sworn Kenji Alt-Lopez said it was Carbon steal. That explains the poor/no results.  Please ignore my ineptitude.

I wondered about this when you mentioned the lack of patina, but the only SS clad CS blades I’ve seen have tended to fetch higher dollars, and you said this was “nothing fancy.” Didn’t take the time to look up the product. 

I like “tall” blades with deep bellies. Makes chopping safer and there is more ability to travel against your knuckles. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2021
    Options

I wondered about this when you mentioned the lack of patina, but the only SS clad CS blades I’ve seen have tended to fetch higher dollars, and you said this was “nothing fancy.” Didn’t take the time to look up the product. 

I like “tall” blades with deep bellies. Makes chopping safer and there is more ability to travel against your knuckles. 
    $45 blade off Bezo's fledgling online bazaar.  Was $30 for a long time, but Kenji mentioned it so price jumped up about a year ago.  I am really digging the shape.  Plan to put it to use tonight.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07QF7ZXQ8?context=search
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My boy is finally almost big enough to touch the ground on the bigger razor motor cycle so I had to get a 3rd one. He is taking mine and I am making this one the fastest. About to cut out the top battery shelf so I can add a 4th battery and strap them together. The new 36v 800 watt motor should be here tomorrow and with 48v running to it should be around 3500 rpms. Changed out the controller to a 48v and changing the front gear to 13 tooth from 11 so should be able to get 25-30 mph out of it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Waking up at IU CANCER center thinking I'm victorious
    Damn man, best of luck to you.  Keep us posted.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Thinking of you and wishing you my best, friend. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,432
    Options
    MasterC said:
    Take no prisoners.  Know you are victorious!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,868
    Options

Goodbye BST, hello DST.  With the Summer a distant memory it’s time to fettle the fourth dimension, that unprovable concept called time.  ‘An extra hour in bed’ for me & @Eoin on Sunday so that farmers can get the hay in, or we can build more Spitfires - or something.  Whatever, PL is back…

Saturday;

Leicester v Arsenal : thrills and spills here for a multi-goal-athon. 3-2

Burnley v Brentford : first season sensations Brentford still ride high.  Burnley are being very Burnley.  One goal thriller. Er, 0-1 although could be the reverse of that.

Liverpool v Brighton : 86 - 0 please.  

Man City v Palace : as above, please not. (3-0)

Newcastle v Chelsea : questionable ownership derby #1 of many this season.  Toon are still rubbish despite our flaccid attempt to beat them last week. 0-3

Watford v Southampton : well after last week’s unimaginable humping of Everton I’ve got to go with the horrible Hornets 2-1

Spurs v Man Utd : great time to host Ole’s clown squad after their shellacking last week 2-1

Stoke v Cardiff : chance to get the show back not he road as the Bluebirds on a hot streak of 5 defeats.  @Eoin will want the Potters to show bounce-backability and nail this 3-0.

Sunday;

Norwich v Leeds : will Bielsa’s boys get under way at the Canaries? Probably 1-2.

Aston Villa v West Ham : double name double header - tricky to call as each team can’t decide if they’re actually any good or not.  I feel the home side are on the slide and the Hammers are solidifying. 0-2

Monday;

Wolves v Everton : early season ‘Everton Cup’ play-off here as both have 7th place stamped across them already. Toffees on a losing run 2-1

There you go flag-fans, take a munch on those while you’re carving pumpkins and wearing Scream masks.  

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • fishlessman
    Options
    sweet babys ray is 1470 calories a day, maybe thats all he eats
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

“Team: I think if we put a bottle of barbecue sauce that is used on the smoking meats it will make me seem more human.  Thoughts?”
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,035
    Options

“Team: I think if we put a bottle of barbecue sauce that is used on the smoking meats it will make me seem more human.  Thoughts?”
    I believe he has a BGE. He was spotted with a Baby Rays bbq sauce and a smoker running in the background in one of his meetings. He apparently caught some flack for it. So it's a play on the previous meeting. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:

Goodbye BST, hello DST.  With the Summer a distant memory it’s time to fettle the fourth dimension, that unprovable concept called time.  ‘An extra hour in bed’ for me & @Eoin on Sunday so that farmers can get the hay in, or we can build more Spitfires - or something.  Whatever, PL is back…

Saturday;

Leicester v Arsenal : thrills and spills here for a multi-goal-athon. 3-2

Burnley v Brentford : first season sensations Brentford still ride high.  Burnley are being very Burnley.  One goal thriller. Er, 0-1 although could be the reverse of that.

Liverpool v Brighton : 86 - 0 please.  

Man City v Palace : as above, please not. (3-0)

Newcastle v Chelsea : questionable ownership derby #1 of many this season.  Toon are still rubbish despite our flaccid attempt to beat them last week. 0-3

Watford v Southampton : well after last week’s unimaginable humping of Everton I’ve got to go with the horrible Hornets 2-1

Spurs v Man Utd : great time to host Ole’s clown squad after their shellacking last week 2-1

Stoke v Cardiff : chance to get the show back not he road as the Bluebirds on a hot streak of 5 defeats.  @Eoin will want the Potters to show bounce-backability and nail this 3-0.

Sunday;

Norwich v Leeds : will Bielsa’s boys get under way at the Canaries? Probably 1-2.

Aston Villa v West Ham : double name double header - tricky to call as each team can’t decide if they’re actually any good or not.  I feel the home side are on the slide and the Hammers are solidifying. 0-2

Monday;

Wolves v Everton : early season ‘Everton Cup’ play-off here as both have 7th place stamped across them already. Toffees on a losing run 2-1

There you go flag-fans, take a munch on those while you’re carving pumpkins and wearing Scream masks.  

Wow @CPFC1905.  These seem to be amazingly accurate predictions - with a couple of infinitesimally small exceptions.

You are off by 84 goals on the Liverpool-Brighton prediction - but you knew that.

And Arsenal don't have it in them to score 2 goals against Leicester.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    Options

“Team: I think if we put a bottle of barbecue sauce that is used on the smoking meats and feed it to my cat it will make me seem more human.  Thoughts?”

Data amp Spot in 2021  Star trek funny Fandom star trek Star trek data

fukahwee maine

• FarmingPhD
    Options
    Enjoying a Friday afternoon trying to solve an actual technical engineering problem.  Hydraulics + dynamics + software is always a good time, we’ll, most of the time.  Reading the Friday threads like a tabloid between software builds.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,430
    Options
    Enjoying a Friday afternoon trying to solve an actual technical engineering problem.  Hydraulics + dynamics + software is always a good time, we’ll, most of the time.  Reading the Friday threads like a tabloid between software builds.
    Engineer:  this is exactly how much x we need and it will withstand y.

Project manager:  triple it and order it up.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI