Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Friday. You Know What That Means

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
edited October 2021 in EggHead Forum
Time to grab your supplies for the weekend - rations and adult beverages!  What is everyone planning to smoke this weekend?

I will be doing a beef tenderloin on Saturday, and then ribs on Sunday.  Supposed to be a beautiful fall weekend here.  Looking forward to it.  How about you?  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    This forum really kind makes me wish I knew how to cook.  Your weekend sounds great
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Sex & drugs & rock 'n roll.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    I have a prime packer pre-smoked for the beach….sous vide reheat for the win…sadly, the condo only has communal charcoal pits that you can burn hamburgers on 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Likely the only thing of any value will be some crab stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp with the main concept linked here:
    https://howtobbqright.com/2017/08/10/bacon-wrapped-grilled-shrimp/  
    I don't go with that quantity but do use 6 oz crab meat, to 4 oz cream cheese and much more garlic and Sriracha along with diced hatch chilies for the filling.  Also line the shrimp side of the bacon with horseradish sauce.  Great flavors.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • My Michigan Wolverines are on a bye week and I’m taking one from cooking.  I’m removing the mower deck on my 1966 International Cub tractor and the hitch system and installing the snow blade for snow plowing.  I’m gonna get greezy!  Still need to clear a bay in my two car garage for my toy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    My Michigan Wolverines are on a bye week and I’m taking one from cooking.  I’m removing the mower deck on my 1966 International Cub tractor and the hitch system and installing the snow blade for snow plowing.  I’m gonna get greezy!  Still need to clear a bay in my two car garage for my toy.

Did you send Neb. a thank you card for letting your team win last week?  :)
    On a serious note, pics of your progress on the IH tractor would be cool to see.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    I'm doing a bunch of top sirloin steaks, with a nice strip of fat on one edge.  Going to cast iron them, and then direct sear to finish!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Retirement’s great, the weekend dishes begin whenever you get the groceries unpacked!

Chicken Sauce Piquante, with homemade refrigerator dill pickles.  Instead of flouring/frying the thighs, I salted them, let them sit covered overnight, then charred on a very hot (700˚) grill, just to get some char and smoke.  Chopped and then braised to finish cooking in the sauce.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• dbCooper said:
    My Michigan Wolverines are on a bye week and I’m taking one from cooking.  I’m removing the mower deck on my 1966 International Cub tractor and the hitch system and installing the snow blade for snow plowing.  I’m gonna get greezy!  Still need to clear a bay in my two car garage for my toy.

Did you send Neb. a thank you card for letting your team win last week?  :)
    On a serious note, pics of your progress on the IH tractor would be cool to see.
    I don’t feel that bad hijacking for a small detour here on a Friday thread.  In addition to being a Michigan fanatic, I cheer for the Detroit Lions.  Notice how I don’t say I’m a fanatic?  I used to be, but I decided having my heart repeatedly ripped out of my chest and spiked like a Gronkowski touchdown football was too much.  The Lions excel at losing and sometimes are very creative in doing so.  But, I digress.  Aaron Rogers and the Packers have killed the Lions time and time again.  Sometimes the Lions make it close and things get exciting!  Then the Lions do something stupid and Rogers takes advantage yada yada yada the Lions lose again.

i don’t recall Rogers being asked to thank the Lions for pulling a bonehead play and giving the Packers the game.  No, it’s always, ”That was great Aaron!  How do you it?  You’re the best!”

The moral to the story is to act like a winner no matter how lucky you may have been.  See you again next year Huskers!
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lousubcap said:
    Likely the only thing of any value will be some crab stuffed bacon wrapped shrimp with the main concept linked here:
    https://howtobbqright.com/2017/08/10/bacon-wrapped-grilled-shrimp/  
    I don't go with that quantity but do use 6 oz crab meat, to 4 oz cream cheese and much more garlic and Sriracha along with diced hatch chilies for the filling.  Also line the shrimp side of the bacon with horseradish sauce.  Great flavors.  
    Oh damn. These sound delicious!!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    dmchicago said:
    This first…for inspiration. 

Baby Brussels Sprouts?
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Legume said:
    dmchicago said:
    This first…for inspiration. 

Baby Brussels Sprouts?
    Yeah…sure. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Something will be roasted, and it ain’t the Brussels sprouts 
  • BSR
    BSR Posts: 165
    Can I count it as smoking if I have some wood in there for the reverse sear part of my ribeye?

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Trader Joe's pizza dough pizza
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    edited October 2021
    Great bark and finish right there- @JohnInCarolina I'm guessing SV until the hot sear??
    Edit:  Sweet beat-down the Sox and putting to the Astros tonight.  Take the next 3...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Great bark and finish right there- @JohnInCarolina I'm guessing SV until the hot sear??
    Edit:  Sweet beat-down the Sox and putting to the Astros tonight.  Take the next 3...
    Forward sear actually, then roast on the KBQ.  It was great.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Compared to everyone else, a boring smoked platter of pulled peach butt pork for the games yesterday.I was totally committed to a day of sloth and watching the games yesterday.

Mission accomplished,

It was only marred by the upset loss to Georgia on their home field. UK’s quest for the national championship took a hit, (Just kidding).

At least I did not behave like the Vol Fans by throwing stuff on the field (or on the floor, in front of the TV, in my case). 

Go Cats. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    During college football season I rarely do a big,
    planned, meal.   Usually spark up the egg than throw munchies on over the course of the games I plan to watch as I have people come and go all day long.  Yesterday was ABT, boudin, sweet Italian sausage and finally jalapeño cheddar sausage.   Finger foods for those that swing by.    No pics as this was very pedestrian.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    @TechsasJim - I like your style on Saturdays.  I'm sure there is solid traffic and the numbers increase as the word gets out.  Well-played,  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    the baby backs

KBQ?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    That’s one thick smoke ring there, John.   B)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• WeberWho said:
    the baby backs

KBQ?
    Yep.

Very happy with how these turned out.  
  • lousubcap
    @JohnInCarolina - care to divulge the splitter you have as I need to stop swinging a Fisker axe (27") or find a ready replacement lower leg.  I'm too old to wrestle with that bad boy much longer.  
  • lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina - care to divulge the splitter you have as I need to stop swinging a Fisker axe (27") or find a ready replacement lower leg.  I'm too old to wrestle with that bad boy much longer.  
    https://www.amazon.com/K-Firewood-Kindling-Splitter-Campsite/dp/B08GSPHR4L