Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short ribs - FTC

Options
I will be making short ribs again soon. Not putting off making brisket, but it is food for only 4 people.

Now, I think I have to make lunch that day. Given my last rack of 2 kg (4.4lb) took about ten hours, it means I have to get up in the middle of the night.

No need to convince me to try it otherwise, I love getting up, having a beer and crawling back in bed smelling like smoke and meat  :).

However, can I also keep the ribs warm FTC just like I would brisket or pulled pork? Common logic dictates 'yes', but I wanted to know if there is anything particular to take into account.

Thanks!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,466
    Options
    I don't know what temperature you ran with your ribs mentioned above but I plan for around 7 hrs at 250-260*F (I'll leave the conversion to *C to you  =) ) for around a 7-8 lb three bone rack of beef plate ribs.  
    Answering your question, you can FTC them. Just make sure to stop the carry-over cooking by letting them sit on a cooling rack for around 15 minutes first.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,782
    Options
    Same as @lousubcap , I use butcher paper and wrap late , 180 + as to not ruin the membrane 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you could FTC beef ribs just like a brisket. FWIW I usually just use my oven on the keep warm setting rather than FTC. Pull the meat, let it rest a bit, wrap in foil and stick it in the oven on the lowest temp. My oven goes down to 170 so this works for anything you cook to a higher internal temp (ribs, beef ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• iudex
    iudex Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Sorry, had a lot of stuff going on and didn't have the time to follow up.

I used the following recipe last time:
    https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/smoked-beef-short-ribs-recipe-texas-style/

I only used salt and black pepper, really didn't need anything more and it was child friendly (their oversensitivity to strong flavours makes using rubs challenging).

If I would FTC, it would just be wrapping in foil and some (2 or more?) towels and letting it wait just like that? Have never needed to do this before, so just want to get the basics right. 
    The oven might be an option, but that will have to wait untill I get a decent one. I have zero trust in the current contraption that came with the house  =)

• lkapigian
    Options
    Personally I skip the towel, 1 less thing to clean grease from, I put protein in an aluminum pan if going cooler or oven ( the whole cleaning thing again) a great option is a cheap styrofoam cooler, then you don’t have to deal with said cleaning at all lol  …
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    As above.  You can make it as complicated as you want.  For up to 4 hours any foil and cooler will work.  For more than 6 I will usually soak a towel in hot water and put it in the bottom of the cooler, then wrap the the meat in foil, then a dry towel and put it in the cooler on top of the moist towel.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• iudex
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Just got the good news that more people than expected are coming. Just ordered some more ribs (smaller rack). Good times ahead :)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    hoping there will be pics . . .
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I’ve never had them take that long, so just get up early and let it roll for dinner. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • iudex
    Options
    I always take pics...and then forget to upload. 
    Trying my best to get them here (although I doubt I'll bring anything new to the game).

I am just going to put them on around 1 a.m. and then let them ride (need to get them ready by around 1 p.m., with time to spare to grill some squid following a special request from my mom).
  • iudex
    Options
    Just one last question, sorry! I now have two slabs of ribs, which will not comfortably fit on one level. When using my multi-level rack, do I put the smaller one on top or the bigger one? Would the upper slab dripping fat on the lower one impact the cooking process or bark in any way?
  • lkapigian
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Fat dripping on the other is good, the top will run a bit hotter so you may start the smaller on top, either way I’d rotate through the cook, looking forward to seeing this, you will be a hero no matter 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    I'd put the larger rack on top.  As stated, it will be a little hotter up there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• iudex
    Options
    Because you asked, first part of pictures. 

Squid peeled together with my six year old (who said children were useless :) ).
    The knife (or machete) seems overkill to say the least, but it is really the best one I got. Managed to cut myself twice just grazing my skin...

More to follow as I put on the meat at about 1 AM (still 4 hours to go).

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,466
    Options
    @iudex sweet marbling on those ribs.  Great eats await.  Toothpick for the win.
    Don't know enough to comment on the squid.  Enjoy the cook with family.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • iudex
    Options
    Looking good, right =).

Squid is a bit unknown territory for me. Basing myself on this recipe:
    https://www.bbqbill.co.uk/single-post/2017/09/01/chermoula-squid-on-the-big-green-egg

Should work out, right...

Will serve with coleslaw and freshly made fries (ribs) and taboulet (squid). Updates to follow!
  • iudex
    Options
    Besides missing my midnight alarm and my fire dying somewhere in the middle of the night, things are going well.