Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Short ribs - FTC

I will be making short ribs again soon. Not putting off making brisket, but it is food for only 4 people.

Now, I think I have to make lunch that day. Given my last rack of 2 kg (4.4lb) took about ten hours, it means I have to get up in the middle of the night.

No need to convince me to try it otherwise, I love getting up, having a beer and crawling back in bed smelling like smoke and meat  :).

However, can I also keep the ribs warm FTC just like I would brisket or pulled pork? Common logic dictates 'yes', but I wanted to know if there is anything particular to take into account.

Thanks!

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 24,375
    I don't know what temperature you ran with your ribs mentioned above but I plan for around 7 hrs at 250-260*F (I'll leave the conversion to *C to you  =) ) for around a 7-8 lb three bone rack of beef plate ribs.  
    Answering your question, you can FTC them. Just make sure to stop the carry-over cooking by letting them sit on a cooling rack for around 15 minutes first.  
    Louisville; "indeterminate Jim" here.  Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!
  • lkapigianlkapigian Posts: 8,184
    Same as @lousubcap , I use butcher paper and wrap late , 180 + as to not ruin the membrane 
    Visalia, Ca

LGBE- Pit's by Klose Trailer -Stumps XL Stretch - Custom Santa Maria-Modified HD Offset Smoker Reverse Flow- FatStack Smoker FS120 coming soon FatStack 500- Blackstone 36 Blackstone 22 - Custom Cold Smoke House and a lonely Brinkman Vertical Smoker
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,488
    I think you could FTC beef ribs just like a brisket. FWIW I usually just use my oven on the keep warm setting rather than FTC. Pull the meat, let it rest a bit, wrap in foil and stick it in the oven on the lowest temp. My oven goes down to 170 so this works for anything you cook to a higher internal temp (ribs, beef ribs, brisket, pork butt, etc). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.