Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas brisket- reaching the upper limit of greatness?

Options
Here's a quick read regarding the evolution of Texas brisket over the past few years:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/has-texas-brisket-peaked/?utm_source=Texas+Monthly&utm_campaign=e3042dc37c-BBQ+10-2-21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_92f99d7313-e3042dc37c-53578655  
And then the SRF and HEB deal on top of that.  No wonder the rest of us are jealous.   B)
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thank for the link.

I've actually had these thoughts.  It's getting hard to distinguish among the really good places.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• DavidCrumpton
    DavidCrumpton Posts: 198
    edited October 2021
    Options
    This is why I  laugh at the BBQ threads about which is best in Texas. My hobby was flying. I flew all over Texas following the Texas Monthly top joints for several years and found exactly that this article is true. Great brisket is all over Texas. Flavor differences may be the rub or wood. Somethings may not be exactly to your flavor palate but the smoke and meat is spot on. People just say it’s no good because they may not like one small thing but discount all the right things it takes to make that hunk of meat tender. 

• DavidCrumpton
    Options

Also why I will not stand in line at Franklin’s. You can eat great BBQ in the time you’ve stood in line. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I don't have the luxury of living in Texas and the brisket access. I have and will always stand in line at Franklin's (once it's dining room reopens).  The line itself is great social engagement, the brisket incredible (like many other places) but the opportunity to spend a couple of minutes one-on-one with the Pope which I have accomplished twice is off the chart.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thank for the link.

I've actually had these thoughts.  It's getting hard to distinguish among the really good places.
    Just come to my house. I will fix that for you, and show you how to do wings.

Just kidding.

Hope all is well my friend. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    These authors need to get out more. I have had tremendous Brisket in Texas, no doubt, but I have had it in CA, WY, CO, and ID. Texas is great, and I am thankful for Franklin’s, however, the rest of the country is not that far behind. Perhaps it is owed to Franklin, I do not know.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bella21
    bella21 Posts: 45
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    These authors need to get out more. I have had tremendous Brisket in Texas, no doubt, but I have had it in CA, WY, CO, and ID. Texas is great, and I am thankful for Franklin’s, however, the rest of the country is not that far behind. Perhaps it is owed to Franklin, I do not know.
    Couldn’t agree more. Was just heading back from that area. The brisket down there was great for sure. Ate at blacks this go around. On the way stopped in Arkansas at a place called wrights bbq and then in KC at Harp bbq and Night Goat bbq. 

Between the 4, I didn’t see or taste a difference tbh.  Craft bbq is getting big around the whole country. Good news for everyone. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Interestingly, I was recently in Atlanta and had a conversation about BBQ with a former Texan and several never-Texans.  A Southern Californian had never heard of smoked brisket - only the braised in the oven version.  Another in the conversation (from Colorado I believe) had heard of smoked brisket but only through social media.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    YukonRon said:
    Interestingly, I was recently in Atlanta and had a conversation about BBQ with a former Texan and several never-Texans.  A Southern Californian had never heard of smoked brisket - only the braised in the oven version.  Another in the conversation (from Colorado I believe) had heard of smoked brisket but only through social media.
    I think the best, outside of Texas, I have had, was at a place in Sheridan, Wyoming. It was spot on. Durango in Colorado, was exceptional. Rutherford, California was very good, and a place in Blackfoot, Idaho, was excellent.

By far, the worst I had was in Illinois, at a place that had good reviews, for their offerings. Can’t remember the town, it was in the southern part of the state, woeful is all I can say.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Brother Yuk I agree times a million. I have said it my whole life. There is great Q everywhere. While it’s certainly true that it is more predominant in certain areas. It still spans the entire world. 
    There are people right here on this forum that can cook brisket or any other Q to perfection. However they simply do not want to open a restaurant or do not have the means to do so. This is also true of hundreds of thousands of people outside of this forum. 
    For reference, some of the best food/barbecue I have ever had was in Mexico. I had the good fortune of spending almost 3 years between Tuxpan and Tampico when I was working for TransCanada. While some of it was a totally different style than we are accustomed to here, it was equally good and in many cases better. The best beef cheeks I ever had was cooked in a pot covered with guava and agave stems  buried in a hand dug hole and covered with stones. No fancy or expensive spices. No custom made smoker. No pink paper. No 10,000 dollar warmer. Just a pot, a hole in the ground, a few native plants and rocks, and a tried and true technique passed down for probably centuries.
    My point on all this rambling. Good food is good food no matter how or where it’s cooked. And trust me when I say that Texas doesn’t have a monopoly on good Q. My hunch is they actually ripped much of it off from their southern neighbors just across the Rio Grande. Just my thoughts my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SGH said:
    YukonRon said:
    Brother Yuk I agree times a million. I have said it my whole life. There is great Q everywhere. While it’s certainly true that it is more predominant in certain areas. It still spans the entire world. 
    There are people right here on this forum that can cook brisket or any other Q to perfection. However they simply do not want to open a restaurant or do not have the means to do so. This is also true of hundreds of thousands of people outside of this forum. 
    For reference, some of the best food/barbecue I have ever had was in Mexico. I had the good fortune of spending almost 3 years between Tuxpan and Tampico when I was working for TransCanada. While some of it was a totally different style than we are accustomed to here, it was equally good and in many cases better. The best beef cheeks I ever had was cooked in a pot covered with guava and agave stems  buried in a hand dug hole and covered with stones. No fancy or expensive spices. No custom made smoker. No pink paper. No 10,000 dollar warmer. Just a pot, a hole in the ground, a few native plants and rocks, and a tried and true technique passed down for probably centuries.
    My point on all this rambling. Good food is good food no matter how or where it’s cooked. And trust me when I say that Texas doesn’t have a monopoly on good Q. My hunch is they actually ripped much of it off from their southern neighbors just across the Rio Grande. Just my thoughts my friends. 
    This reminds me.  Did you ever find that golden brisket you had buried somewhere in your back yard?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This reminds me.  Did you ever find that golden brisket you had buried somewhere in your back yard?
    It’s still aging my friend. Perfection takes time 🤪

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.