Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Botch said:
    Today the Man in the Brown Shorts(tm) brought me this:

A fully-mechanical keyboard for my Mac/iPad.  Long keyboard stroke, clicky, and tactile feedback; I've really missed this from my ancient Atari.  Having some Bluetooth issues with timeouts, but it can be wired so I'll be playing with it.  Onwards.  
    What brand is it?  I have been looking for a mechanical keyboard for some time now but apparently the thing doesn’t exist in a french canadian layout so it looks like my only option is a custom design from wasd keyboards (which are only available in wired models and abs keys).

@saluki2007 I can define zones too but the camera still has to process the events and assert if they took place within the defined activity zone.  This processing consumes battery regardless of being in or out of the zone. I think that this is true for all brands. The other cameras are doing fine battery wise but the one facing the street would never have made 3 months.  I basically have two options with that model, use the onboard AI for processing or use Apple HomeKit secure video.  The onboard AI consumes less battery but then I lose the ability to use the events for automation within HomeKit.  From what I understand, other brands have a mix of onboard/cloud processing and I am trying to get away from Google so this one is a good option for me because I can actually bypass the onboard processing completely and use HomeKit secure video end to end without the need for another account/application.  The good thing is that I also have the option to enable HomeKit and third party app at the same time so I purchased 2 homebase (the hub for the cameras). The benefit of using the third party app is local recording and a few added functionalities.  The first homebase has the 2 apps enabled and the second one has HomeKit secure video for areas that I consider more sensitive (potentially inside when we are away).  So outdoor front of the house, parking, backyard entrance are on the 2 apps.  BBQ area, gazebo, and firepit/shed area are on HomeKit only.

@paqman Thanks for sharing. I understand the sentiment of going away from google. The reason I went with the new google out door camera was that I already have several neat cameras and I just purchased a new to me house and the previous owner installed the nest protects so I am already in the google swamp.  I did look at the cameras you purchased but I’m not a fan of having to buy “bases” to get the technology  to be apart of the overall system.  At my previous house I had a Control4 system and really loved that but because this new house is going to be a temporary home while we build a new one at the farm I don’t want to invest in that again until we build so I too am trying the Apple HomeKit sphere. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    @paqman Thanks for sharing. I understand the sentiment of going away from google. The reason I went with the new google out door camera was that I already have several neat cameras and I just purchased a new to me house and the previous owner installed the nest protects so I am already in the google swamp.  I did look at the cameras you purchased but I’m not a fan of having to buy “bases” to get the technology  to be apart of the overall system.  At my previous house I had a Control4 system and really loved that but because this new house is going to be a temporary home while we build a new one at the farm I don’t want to invest in that again until we build so I too am trying the Apple HomeKit sphere. 
    I would not mind the google one for the front door or parking lot but living areas (indoors or outdoors) is no go for me.  HomeKit is working mostly well right now but lack of some features is disappointing.  User friendliness/intuitiveness of the GUI/Shortcuts (automations) is mind boggling at best; they have lots if work to do.  As for using bases/hubs, that’s my preference because all my smart device are connected to a distinct network.  Not camera related but for smart lights, Lutron Caseta (requires hub) are the best option IMHO.

paqman said:
    What brand is it?  I have been looking for a mechanical keyboard for some time now but apparently the thing doesn’t exist in a french canadian layout so it looks like my only option is a custom design from wasd keyboards (which are only available in wired models and abs keys).
    That one is Keychron.  I know I did see in my research some keyboards were available in different languages, sorry I can’t remember which one.  If you search “computer mechanical keyboard review” on EweTube you’ll get some ideas.    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    @GrateEggspectations

Taking the lawn to the next level come springtime. And yes I did just buy a new honda rotary. Stay tuned...

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• @TEXASBGE2018 don’t overlook the TruCut 27” if you are shopping. Or a used greens mower if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Or even a used Mclane. They are everywhere. 
    Snellville, GA

• Regardless, consider a front roller. 
    Snellville, GA

• These are from TruCut Bermuda cut at 1/2”. 

Snellville, GA

• I guess the site distorts the resolution but you get the idea. 
    Snellville, GA

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited October 2021
    @TEXASBGE2018 don’t overlook the TruCut 27” if you are shopping. Or a used greens mower if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. Or even a used Mclane. They are everywhere. 
    I can't find any used mclanes near me currently. I looked at the trucut but liked how the self propel engages in the mclanes a little better. Also seems like the mclanes is a little more diy maintenance friendly. Reading the manual online it looks like it can go down to 1/4" and up to 1.5" My plan is to scalp in spring down to almost dirt and set my HOC at around 3/4" mowing 2-3 times per week. I'll definitely get a front roller also.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Understood. Not the best time to be looking. Through the winter and early spring. But I’m sure you will be happy with it. And with it being brand new you won’t need to do much to it other than regular maintenance. Make sure you have a shop that can relief grind the reel for you and learn to backlap between grinds. Your yard is going to love being reel cut. 

Growth regulators will be your friend instead of having to cut every other day in the dead of summer. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Eggdicted_Dawgfan Posts: 1,896
    edited October 2021
    If you really want to fall down the rabbit hole join “the lawn forum”. Unlimited knowledge. 

I’ll shut up about grass now. 
    Snellville, GA

• TEXASBGE2018
    If you really want to fall down the rabbit hole join “the lawn forum”. Unlimited knowledge. 

I’ll shut up about grass now. 
    Yup already did. Def. a new rabbit hole.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Picked up a 6 qt All Clad Copper core pan and a 14" skillet. These are replacing an old $6 pan I have been using for 15 years.  Unfortunately, I do not have cabinet space that will fit them.  Will need to do some rearranging tomorrow to hopefully get them tucked away.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    $99.00 at Sams Club.

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2021
    Picked up a 6 qt All Clad Copper core pan and a 14" skillet. These are replacing an old $6 pan I have been using for 15 years.  Unfortunately, I do not have cabinet space that will fit them.  Will need to do some rearranging tomorrow to hopefully get them tucked away.

Those are the 2 pans I reach for the most, especially the sauté pan. I've got 2 of them - one with a handle (like yours) and one with double-loop handles. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2021
    SonVolt said:

Those are the 2 pans I reach for the most, especially the sauté pan. I've got 2 of them - one with a handle (like yours) and one with double-loop handles. 
    I am pretty excited.  I have smaller versions of both, but I often feel crowded hence the reason my old non-stick pan with handles falling off was still in the rotation.  It was a similar size to these.  Looped handles would be really nice too.  I am kicking around the idea of a 5 qt braiser from either Staub or Le Creuset.  It is a similar idea, just enameled cast iron.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2021
     IMO 5qt is pretty small for a braiser, unless that's what you're after. I've got an embarrassing amount of cookware. Staub braisers in 1, 4, 5 & 9 quart and Le Creuset in 7qt.  I use 4 & 5qts for beans and small batches of soup, but if I'm doing a pot roast, Bolognese or something that requires searing, a 7qt or above is preferable. I also prefer wide over tall braisers since you have more usable surface area on the bottom.  

My All-Clad TK 8qt braiser probably gets used the most. I think it's discontinued now, unfortunately. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    SonVolt said:
     IMO 5qt is pretty small for a braiser, unless that's what you're after. I've got an embarrassing amount of cookware. Staub braisers in 1, 4, 5 & 9 quart and Le Creuset in 7qt.  I use 4 & 5qts for beans and small batches of soup, but if I'm doing a pot roast, Bolognese or something that requires searing, a 7qt or above is preferable. I also prefer wide over tall braisers since you have more usable surface area on the bottom.  

My All-Clad TK 8qt braiser probably gets used the most. I think it's discontinued now, unfortunately. 

Thank you for the feedback.  Will definitely take your advice and error on the larger size.
  • SonVolt said:

Thank you for the feedback.  Will definitely take your advice and error on the larger size.
    I can’t decide whether I like this statement better as a typo or as foreshadowing. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    SonVolt said:

I can’t decide whether I like this statement better as a typo or as foreshadowing. 
    Today I learned: "err on the side of" is the correct saying. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac

Nice!!  Congratulations on the new cooker coming.  How long is the wait now?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited October 2021

I don't know.  I turn 50 in about a year, so I am just hoping it arrives sometime before then.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008

I don't know.  I turn 50 in about a year, so I am just hoping it arrives sometime before then.  
    Congrats man. It's really a fun smoker to play around with. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota