Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I know...late, but what the H*LL!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Saturday night's pizza

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Very ice-truck killer!
    Do you have a favorite cheese for your pies?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    That looks fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• RRP
    QDude said:
    I've tried many combinations over the years, but we like mozzarella and some parmesan. The best mozzarella is the fresh I make myself, but I only do that a couple times a year when I'm not real busy...(I know I'm retired, but even us retired guys get busy! =) )
  • Snazzy looking pie!

You make cheese too?  Are you pulling our virtual leg?
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    RRP said:
    QDude said:
    I've tried many combinations over the years, but we like mozzarella and some parmesan. The best mozzarella is the fresh I make myself, but I only do that a couple times a year when I'm not real busy...(I know I'm retired, but even us retired guys get busy! =) )
    I will look in the interwebz for videos about making this two cheese blend you speak of.  

Pizza looks good.  I would eat the entire thing in one sitting.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • RRP
    Snazzy looking pie!

NO - not at all! Let me find some picture or thread as proof. Honestly though it is not at all difficult to do!
  • RRP
    What's so difficult about spreading 2 layers of different cheeses? 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    RRP said:
    Some people’s kids.
  • nolaegghead
    RRP said:
    No no no you have to mix the cheese up *before* putting on the pizza otherwise you ruin everything.

RRP said:
    I was just goofing around.  I wanted to get someone to post the video.  Nola did not disappoint.  If you read anything about blending cheeses on this site. . . this video pops up.  :-) Carry on Good Sir!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton said:
    RRP said:
    I was just goofing around.  I wanted to get someone to post the video.  Nola did not disappoint.  If you read anything about blending cheeses on this site. . . this video pops up.  :-) Carry on Good Sir!
    The legend of Mike Neylan, professional chef.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    Snazzy looking pie!

Here's the recipe I use which I summarized including my notes from past experiences...

30 Minute Mozzarella 

This is a summary of a recipe from a library book entitled Recipes For All Types Of Cheese.

Ingredients needed:

1 gallon whole milk that has not been ultra-pasteurized

¼ teaspoon  liquid rennet (or ¼ rennet tablet) diluted in ¼ cup cool, unchlorinated water

1 teaspoon cheese salt (optional) BTW un-idolized Kosher salt is a fine substitute.

2 level teaspoons citric acid (powder)

Method:

1. Add citric acid to milk and mix thoroughly

2. heat the milk to 88° - I used my Thermapen

3. gently stir in the diluted rennet using an up and down motion and continue heating to 105°. Turn off heat and let curd set for a few minutes – I let it go for 4 minutes and then STOP STIRRING IT! – You want it to form a solid mass – NOT broken pieces!

4. The curds should look like thick yogurt. If the whey is still milky white instead of yellowish wait a few more minutes.

5. scoop out the curds with a slotted spoon into a 2 quart microwaveable bowl. Press the curds gently with your hands pouring off as much whey as possible. Reserve the whey.

6. microwave the curds for 1 minute on high. Drain off the whey and quickly work the hot cheese into a ball with a spoon or your hands using rubber gloves for protection.

7. microwave one more time for 35 seconds draining off the whey and working the cheese. 

8.  knead the cheese quickly like bread dough until it is smooth. Sprinkle on the salt if desired while kneading and stretching. When the cheese stretches like taffy it is done, but if the curds break you need to reheat them again.

9. when the cheese is smooth and shiny it is ready to eat. If you want to eat it later cover it and refrigerate.

Yield: ¾ to 1 pound

Use of the by product of whey is a whole other venture.

Recipe recap made by RRP. 

• I've never heard of a two cheese blend, I didn't know it was possible.  I had to watch this very technical video when I attempted the 3 cheese blend.

How much do you think the guy/s got paid that filmed/edited that cinematic masterpiece?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    I've never heard of a two cheese blend, I didn't know it was possible.  I had to watch this very technical video when I attempted the 3 cheese blend.

How much do you think the guy/s got paid that filmed/edited that cinematic masterpiece?
    Not much.  I see most of it was one stationary camera, then a few seconds of hand-held (shaky hand at that) close-up of the mixing bowl.  Leads me to think maybe they weren't paid at all, or it was the guy and a friend/wife. Otherwise, $500.

I've never heard of a two cheese blend, I didn't know it was possible.  I had to watch this very technical video when I attempted the 3 cheese blend.

At 2.2 million views, he probably earned enough for a new KitchenAid so he won’t have to use his hands.   ;) 
    (and some of the comments on EweTube are a hoot!). 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    Botch said:

At 2.2 million views, he probably earned enough for a new KitchenAid so he won’t have to use his hands.   ;) 
    (and some of the comments on EweTube are a hoot!). 
    His Web Redemption on Tosh.O

https://youtu.be/5MTXMJrJ-gc
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That video changed my life. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited September 2021
    Advanced technique:

https://youtu.be/SMHXAVelq7A
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    edited September 2021
    RRP said:
    Snazzy looking pie!

NO - not at all! Let me find some picture or thread as proof. Honestly though it is not at all difficult to do!

And the line shows how little it took to make the cheese, but all the rest of that is whey which can be consumed or used for other purposes!

• Advanced technique:

https://youtu.be/SMHXAVelq7A
    I like how he also shows you how to put it on the top shelf of the refrigerator.  The real pros don’t leave anything to interpretation!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RRP said:

Is that a bovine taint?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thanks %RRP

Why the thick gloves, is it because of the acid or the rennet ?  Is this dangerous to make?
  • Using 6 year old milk is cheating, no?  That is already cheese @RRP
    Or is @PigBeanUs right for once and sale by dates have no meaning?
  • RRP
    Thanks %RRP

Why the thick gloves, is it because of the acid or the rennet ?  Is this dangerous to make?
    No -not dangerous at all…guess you missed my earlier reply with the recipe summary that I posted. You heat the milk to 88 degrees which is kinda hot and then reheating in the microwave also makes that “cheese to be” HOT! 
  • RRP
    Using 6 year old milk is cheating, no?  That is already cheese @RRP

Or is @PigBeanUs right for once and sale by dates have no meaning?
    guess I just misgauged the time it took me to fix it…us old guys move  soslowdon’tyouknow…
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    RRP said:
    Saturday night's pizza

Di Giorno?  Just kidding lmao.  Looks fantastic