Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Insert tasteless joke about how the in-laws were really annoying (watching too many horror movies lately...)
    There is a bit of a story there, when we took a steer in last feb or so he said the next one won’t be ready until fall 2022. Okay.
     Then a week later he calls and says well you know we could squeeze one in fall of 2021 if you don’t think that’s too soon, the next will still be fall 2022. Okay. I booked the butcher.
     A month later he calls me looking for a backhoe, the steer we were going to butcher died.  So naturally I went into a semi conservation mode on beef consumption to make it last.  A few months go by and I told him I need to cancel our butcher date and he said don’t do that I have a heifer we are going to take in!
     And so we did, I now have almost whole beef in that freezer.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    canned some green beans, garlic, red pepper flake, dill etc....oh and some hot pepper, its either ghost or scorpian, im sure that doesnt matter

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    canned some green beans, garlic, red pepper flake, dill etc....oh and some hot pepper, its either ghost or scorpian, im sure that doesnt matter

Maybe it doesn't matter much if it's ghost or scorpion, but if habanero was heroin, ghost and scorpion would be fentanyl.

Maybe it doesn't matter much if it's ghost or scorpion, but if habanero was heroin, ghost and scorpion would be fentanyl.

its a nice way to say, dont eat my green beans.  these seeded themselves this spring, usually our short season will not produce this way.  testing will be done next weekend
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead

its a nice way to say, dont eat my green beans.  these seeded themselves this spring, usually our short season will not produce this way.  testing will be done next weekend
    Who said climate change was all bad?  Sorry about the scarcity of fish, though.

• Spent the morning at an appliance center.  The sales guy who showed us various models of ranges, fridges, etc. certainly knew his stuff but he just kept talking and talking.  So many details.  He took five minutes to explain to us how the screws on top of a BlueStar range are there so you can level the burners.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Spent the morning at an appliance center.  The sales guy who showed us various models of ranges, fridges, etc. certainly knew his stuff but he just kept talking and talking.  So many details.  He took five minutes to explain to us how the screws on top of a BlueStar range are there so you can level the burners.  
    Ears Bleeding GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Ears Bleeding GIFs  Tenor

fishing is getting good right now, found gulls feeding on alewives getting chased by salmon this weekend, stayed too long, entered a no wake zone getting my boat back to dock on plane. took it outa plane and the gas was gone except for a half teacups worth on a separate trolling motor tank. it was a close one, i was about 12 miles out when i realized how low the tank was. waters way too warm this time of year, too warm to take the time for pics and release the salmon alive. coming up on the  last weekend and the salmon season is over. then its lake trout for the garden, bio told me to kill everyone i see, a few hundred so far this year, i need about 30 this fall to plant
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead

fishing is getting good right now, found gulls feeding on alewives getting chased by salmon this weekend, stayed too long, entered a no wake zone getting my boat back to dock on plane. took it outa plane and the gas was gone except for a half teacups worth on a separate trolling motor tank. it was a close one, i was about 12 miles out when i realized how low the tank was. waters way too warm this time of year, too warm to take the time for pics and release the salmon alive. coming up on the  last weekend and the salmon season is over. then its lake trout for the garden, bio told me to kill everyone i see, a few hundred so far this year, i need about 30 this fall to plant
    You drop a dead fish in each hole when you plant corn?  I seem to remember that from 3rd grade.

How's the clam harvest?  Isn't that the identity catch for New England?

You drop a dead fish in each hole when you plant corn?  I seem to remember that from 3rd grade.

theres plenty of places you can fill a laundry basket in 10 minutes, just dont get caught. red tide issues seem to be over blown as i dont see anyone getting sick and people are still digging them. clam farmers are buying all the rights to the flats and not harvesting the flats. lobster though are moving off shore for cooler temps tet lobster is still under 9 bucks a pound
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead

theres plenty of places you can fill a laundry basket in 10 minutes, just dont get caught. red tide issues seem to be over blown as i dont see anyone getting sick and people are still digging them. clam farmers are buying all the rights to the flats and not harvesting the flats. lobster though are moving off shore for cooler temps tet lobster is still under 9 bucks a pound
    I heard that between the warmer waters and the green crabs, plus over-fishing, the harvest has been declining every year substantially.  On the plus side for he farmers, prices are way up. 

• Insert tasteless joke about how the in-laws were really annoying (watching too many horror movies lately...)
    I envy the stand up freezer. I have a chest freezer, I have to unpack a whole row of meat when I buy new stuff, so I keep the older stuff accessible at the top. It's a pain!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman

I heard that between the warmer waters and the green crabs, plus over-fishing, the harvest has been declining every year substantially.  On the plus side for he farmers, prices are way up. 

the clam farmers need to find a market for the invasive green crabs, those crabs seem to be very prolific were the farmers seed, easy source of feed.  i see about the same amount of green crabs at the family beach house that i saw 40 years ago, tons of clams there, really need to look for the green crabs.  sebago lake is a nightmare, the biologists have done some really dumb things to the lake which destroyed the feed chain in the last few years, the head of the department resigned, things are changing, but the forage is toast and and the damage is done. adding alewives a few years ago upstream was insanely stupid for both the salmon and smelt populations survival. waiting now to see what californias acid rain clouds do to it
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

I have some chillies with a similar shape. I remember the label said hot, but not what they actually are. Starting to ripen now.
  • fishlessman
    Eoin said:

I have some chillies with a similar shape. I remember the label said hot, but not what they actually are. Starting to ripen now.

these are brutally hot, dont even inhale when slicing them. next time i cut one it will be outdoors. takes a super nachos above the next level
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Eoin said:

these are brutally hot, dont even inhale when slicing them. next time i cut one it will be outdoors. takes a super nachos above the next level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WaV2x8GXj0

Eoin said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WaV2x8GXj0

my mother played johnny cash over and over and over......had that memory successfully buried
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Maybe that should have been in the earworm thread.  Welcome to hell.
  • Spent the morning at an appliance center.  The sales guy who showed us various models of ranges, fridges, etc. certainly knew his stuff but he just kept talking and talking.  So many details.  He took five minutes to explain to us how the screws on top of a BlueStar range are there so you can level the burners.  
    We’re about 5-7 years out from a full kitchen reno and are lusting after a Blue Star. Some neighbours are just redoing theirs and opted for a Wolf. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Spent the morning at an appliance center.  The sales guy who showed us various models of ranges, fridges, etc. certainly knew his stuff but he just kept talking and talking.  So many details.  He took five minutes to explain to us how the screws on top of a BlueStar range are there so you can level the burners.  
    We’re about 5-7 years out from a full kitchen reno and are lusting after a Blue Star. Some neighbours are just redoing theirs and opted for a Wolf. 
    What about the swimming pool  ;)
    canuckland
    What about the swimming pool  ;)
    Pool before kitchen. Glad that the priorities align in my household. Believe it or not, the current kitchen features original cabinets from the mid-to-late 50s. 

Launching the GoFundMe page for the kitchen reno around March of 2027. 😉
  • nolaegghead
    We probably have the ugliest kitchen cabinets on the forum.  I'm planning on a kitchen remodel but I'm too busy making the workspace to make the cabinets.  Plus other priorities like leaky roof, etc.
    edited September 2021
    Been binge watching the JirbyBBQ channel on YouTube. The guy oozes unprofessional slob aesthetic and I can’t get enough of it. He’s one of Franklin’s ex-pitmasters that ventured off on his own, and seems to me leaking trade-secrets in a wink/wink way. If you can get past his hair and irreverent demeanor there’s a lots of random nuggets of good info, especially around commercial Texas bbq prep. He talks about how Tallow is actually used vs how MadScientistBBQ thinks it’s used, as an example…

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314

Though I still haven’t used our new Bluestar Platinum range yet, I’m convinced we made the right decision vs going with say Wolf or Viking. It’s an absolute beast. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt said:

Though I still haven’t used our new Bluestar Platinum range yet, I’m convinced we made the right decision vs going with say Wolf or Viking. It’s an absolute beast. 
    They’re really nice.  It seems like overkill for us and how we use our range, but I appreciated the build quality for sure.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    SonVolt said:

They’re really nice.  It seems like overkill for us and how we use our range, but I appreciated the build quality for sure.
    So do we have another BlueStar owner among us?

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    How did that pic post correctly?   Is it fixed?!?!

Another pic.    
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch said:
    SonVolt said:

So do we have another BlueStar owner among us?

Probably not.