Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Showing the Stumps some love .#75 pretrim, all going for. Brisket Sliders 200 for the first half 225 second half .No, they are not Travis Style , there is a short perforated hotel pan sitting in a second hotel pan, saves all the Jus that way and keeps things clean 

Do you always cook with hotel pans with the Stumps? I'm looking for what might be the easiest way. When you have room do you ever run pans on the grate below for more airflow around the meat or maybe it doesn't make a difference with this particular smoker? I'm trying to visualize how cooks are going to go with the one in restoring. Cleaning them doesn't appear to be the most fun thing...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited September 2021
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    Showing the Stumps some love .#75 pretrim, all going for. Brisket Sliders 200 for the first half 225 second half .No, they are not Travis Style , there is a short perforated hotel pan sitting in a second hotel pan, saves all the Jus that way and keeps things clean 

Do you always cook with hotel pans with the Stumps? I'm looking for what might be the easiest way. When you have room do you ever run pans on the grate below for more airflow around the meat or maybe it doesn't make a difference with this particular smoker? I'm trying to visualize how cooks are going to go with the one in restoring. Cleaning them doesn't appear to be the most fun thing...
    @WeberWho , If I am doing sliders ( which is mainly ) I use pans as the slices don't have to be pretty , keep in mind the pans ( primary ) have holes in them so the meat is not just setting in Jus. I also use the perforated hotel pans without a secondary "catch pan " for things like chicken so I am in and out of the smoker quick , not removing/turning dozens of pieces in the smoker....Clean up is really easy though, I always brush my grates when still warm and only have to scrape the bottom when cool, I do this on all my cookers ( except the egg) ....One note on your rebuild, The door on the chute, I I would do in stainless ( the part that caps the insulation) the gasses in that chute are very acidic , even though I line mine with, it is ready to be replaced already , ...another pro tip, that chute lid will drip condensation down the side of the smoker and ruin the paint in that area

The airflow is nothing like an offset , very even all the way around lots of radiant 

Pans below ---about $8.00 each , money well spent 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:

@WeberWho , If I am doing sliders ( which is mainly ) I use pans as the slices don't have to be pretty , keep in mind the pans ( primary ) have holes in them so the meat is not just setting in Jus. I also use the perforated hotel pans without a secondary "catch pan " for things like chicken so I am in and out of the smoker quick , not removing/turning dozens of pieces in the smoker....Clean up is really easy though, I always brush my grates when still warm and only have to scrape the bottom when cool, I do this on all my cookers ( except the egg) ....One note on your rebuild, The door on the chute, I I would do in stainless ( the part that caps the insulation) the gasses in that chute are very acidic , even though I line mine with, it is ready to be replaced already , ...another pro tip, that chute lid will drip condensation down the side of the smoker and ruin the paint in that area

The airflow is nothing like an offset , very even all the way around lots of radiant 

Pans below ---about $8.00 each , money well spent 

Thank you! That helps a ton. I was going to get a little more creative for paint but I'm going to keep it one solid color to touch up when needed. You saved me a lot of potential future headaches!

I've seen people run tin foil around the chute opening door. I should probably stay on top of that. 

I appreciate the tips of the pans. I'll have to grab some. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Virtual back to school night.  Gotta have the wine when I’m not on camera.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I am reveling in actually using some front line info ( oldest son is a director of pharmacy operations for Kindred, HQ'd in L'ville also being old is the true ticket) to nail the pfizer covid booster shot today.  
    "Never met a shot I didn't like!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Acn said:
    Pro Tip: pour wine into Coke Zero can. 

Pro Tip #2 from Jeffery Toobin: Assume the camera is always on.

Options
    Acn said:
    Pro Tip: pour wine into Coke Zero can. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• lousubcap
    Options
    Second the pro-tip re: the camera but more stealthy is the mic. Whenever dealing with that mic-know that it is always on. In this day and age there are many other avenues but the mic is the instant recording "Aw, $hit" moment.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    nolaegghead said:

:lol:

And to be fair, Toobin got his job back, as maybe will Tt.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I may or may not have dropped a deuce on a conference call in the past, making sure mute was on... always try being quiet as a backup to equipment going rogue (mute not muting) and with enough people on the call there is a plausible deniability defense.
    Options

I write this, to you dear reader - from under the park bench which is now my home.  My spectacular inversion of forecasts and ill-fated decision to bet everything upon those outcomes sees me ‘exploring new approaches to life’.    

Unperturbed I go again.  Back stronger and there’s some stonking fixtures ….

Saturday

Chelsea v Man City - oooh, top of the table clash and Pep got done good and proper by Tommy T 3 times last season, including most ignominiously the CL Final. The lunchtime kick off will flatten those out a bit but a real tough one. The contrarian in me says 1-2 and the title race is fully on.

Man Utd v Villa - will the real Man Utd please stand up?  Misfits or genius’ (genii?) Anyway 3-1.

Everton v Norwich - the Canaries have been deployed to hazardous mine shaft called the Premier League.  Nothing here for them despite the Toffee’s hap hazard start to the season. 2-0

Leeds v West Ham - a hooligan classic of the 80’s (Google ICF and see for yourself) and a close match in store on the pitch.  Antonio back for the Hammers means a lot.  Sooner or later thought it’ll click for Leeds. 1-1.

Burnley v Leicester - by all accounts the Foxes should have beaten the filthy Seagulls last time but they didn’t - buffoons.   The Clarets are still looking for their first win and I just don’t see it here.  Maybe a draw but Brendan’s boys will be smarting so I’m going 0-1. 

Watford v Newcastle - what the heck are the rotten Hornets doing in 11th place?  Oh yes, they got a free 3 points at Norwich last week. And I don’t trust calamity club Toon to do the decent thing either.  Fingers crossed for a bore draw then, 1-1.

Brentford v Liverpool, starry eyed dreams of a top club scalp come to nothing for the perky Bees. Business as usual for Big Jurgy 0-2.

Stoke will be eying three easy points at home to Hull.  Probably said this before, but if you ever journey back to the mother land, don’t go to Hull.  Here to help.  2-0  The dream is alive @Eoin

Sunday

Southampton v Wolves, er - well, um - maybe, er.  1-1?

Arsenal v Spurs - the north London derby.  They are six places apart but just 3 points, narrowing in recent weeks as their respective form has been transposed.  Just how good is either team? Who knows but the stakes are higher than usual for this game of great import. Tough to call so a splinters in the backside 1-1 it is.

Monday

Ooooh, hello - here we go; the A23 Derby,  El Gatwicko, ‘it’s not derby it’s a rivalry’ Palace v the filthy Seagulls.  The coastal upstarts besmirch the glorious utopia of (near) Croydon and what a time to arrive.  The hosts have had the tougher start by playing the league leaders three weeks on the bounce but showing spirit and flair. The media darlings have been caressed along at every turn.  A real barometer game for both sides as mid-table mediocrity is their shared stated aim.  Wilf will be fizzing for this, but (and I feel hollow to say this) a draw seem most likely. 2-2.

There you have my friends,  I am off to get some food out of that nice bin over there. 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited September 2021
    Options

back in college i sat in on a class called...women in society.  some stuff was handed out at the start and i read about mans fear of the man eating toothed beaver.  i got called out for laughing. realized i was not signing into that class and left a friend to suffer through it.  never knew it was true =)  walked, no ran from that class and walked into....marriage and family. sat down to a very pretty young female teacher sitting on a desk with her legs open hanging down, the previous class (business class) left a sign on the desk that said open for business, you couldnt help but laugh. was called out again, pointed at the sign between her legs and she almost fell down laughing while reading the sign, i took that class instead.  beware the man eating toothed beaver
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options

back in college i sat in on a class called...women in society.  some stuff was handed out at the start and i read about mans fear of the man eating toothed beaver.  i got called out for laughing. realized i was not signing into that class and left a friend to suffer through it.  never knew it was true =)  walked, no ran from that class and walked into....marriage and family. sat down to a very pretty young female teacher sitting on a desk with her legs open hanging down, the previous class (business class) left a sign on the desk that said open for business, you couldnt help but laugh. was called out again, pointed at the sign between her legs and she almost fell down laughing while reading the sign, i took that class instead.  beware the man eating toothed beaver
    I've never heard of the beaver archetype.  Not to say that's unusual in itself, I don't run with New England academics. 

What seems more rare than a beaver attack is admitting a beaver attack. 

Options

I've never heard of the beaver archetype.  Not to say that's unusual in itself, I don't run with New England academics. 

What seems more rare than a beaver attack is admitting a beaver attack. 

its strange that of all the things ive forgotten that i still remember that ogre type teacher and this. the more i laughed, the madder she got

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just got off the phone with SRF:  Both Black and Gold grade brisket lines are out of stock.  They expect more mid-late next week.  Fortunately my SRF brisket low level alarm goes off at two so all is well for now.
    First time I have ever seen that.  Selling too much to those HEB's in Texas I guess.   =)
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    edited September 2021
    Options
    How long ? Guessing? 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    MasterC said:
    How long ? Guessing? 
    Serving @ 6 tomorrow , ran out of space to keep cold . going to let it cruise for probably 16 hours ...think Sous Vide but in a smoker , I may even lower it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Hunting down a recurring charge on the card that I don't remember authorizing.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Don't expend much effort-cancel the card and get a replacement.  Went 50+ years (old here) w/o any card compromises-then three times in the past four  months.  F' me.  
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    MasterC said:
    How long ? Guessing? 
    Serving @ 6 tomorrow , ran out of space to keep cold . going to let it cruise for probably 16 hours ...think Sous Vide but in a smoker , I may even lower it
    Awesome, let it roll and roll it slow.
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @lkapigian - With your prowess and the banquet on the horizon there is no doubt who will be eating extremely well.  Here's to a back-up if the main frame crashes.  Always impressive cooks! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    edited September 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Don't expend much effort-cancel the card and get a replacement.  Went 50+ years (old here) w/o any card compromises-then three times in the past four  months.  F' me.  
    Not necessarily.  I’ve had two new cards in the last four years, both initiated by my credit union (America First).  During that time I also noted five tiny charges (< $5) from the same entity; I called AFCU and they blocked that entity, and I was able to keep my card.  

EDIT:. And I just remembered the first new card was because AFCU switched from MasterCard to Visa (to get the built-in chip; I went for almost as long as the Cap’n on my first MasterCard… ). 

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• FarmingPhD
    Options
    Currently being brigaled with a spooky story by my 3 1/2 year old.  It’s a hoot!

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Botch- None of the above compromised cards were pushed on me. I had the card rep give me the same song and dance on the second compromise.  My response was  "Why even leave that option open?"
    You can get a replacement overnighted and SWMBO learned a valuable lesson as I always carry at least two cards on a trip. Turns out she did not-now does.  FWIW-