Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF 20% Off

Options
BigreenGreg
BigreenGreg Posts: 581
edited September 2021 in EggHead Forum
EARLYBIRD
in case your not on the email list
LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
Charleston, SC

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Got the alert and just did a restock.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thanks. Got a briskey and some beef ribs. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• wps456
    Options
    I refuse to sign up for their emails, it could turn into a pretty poor financial decision...but a very tasty one!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up.  Restocked on brisket and pork belly.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Bellavista52
    Options
    Is there a promo code to get the discount?
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Is there a promo code to get the discount?
    Yes - it's EARLYBIRD
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I've found their briskets to be overpriced and underwhelming. Is there anything else worth trying?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I've found their briskets to be overpriced and underwhelming. Is there anything else worth trying?
    I have not experienced this with their wagyu briskets.  Their "RR" stuff I agree with you.  Their beef ribs and cowboy ribeyes are excellent.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I have not experienced this with their wagyu briskets.  Their "RR" stuff I agree with you.  Their beef ribs and cowboy ribeyes are excellent.
    On a couple of occasions ive cooked a prime packer from costco side by side a black grade SRF and found zero difference in the end product. I've cooked them on their own a couple times as well and couldn't tell the difference. To me it's just not worth paying $150 for a 12-14lb brisket. That's why i was hoping someone would say the steaks are outstanding. Then it may be worth trying SRF again.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• wps456
    Options
    Our local Sam's carries SRF ribeyes ($40/lb), filets ($50/lb) and sirloin (don't care/lb) and yes I am bragging and yes they are delicious. Always a good birthday or Father's Day treat for myself. I may be off a little on the prices but those are close.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Sometimes it's the Indian and not the arrow... 

Just kidding.   I think the pork belly they sell is pretty awesome.  When I've made pork belly burnt ends or bacon using their belly - wow, quite a difference from a costco belly.  

The other specialty item they sell that I think is sublime is the ribeye cap.  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    On a couple of occasions ive cooked a prime packer from costco side by side a black grade SRF and found zero difference in the end product. I've cooked them on their own a couple times as well and couldn't tell the difference. To me it's just not worth paying $150 for a 12-14lb brisket. That's why i was hoping someone would say the steaks are outstanding. Then it may be worth trying SRF again.
    Do you have an HEB close to you? Some are carrying wagyu beef, but the selection of cuts varies from store to store. 

These were at one of them (between home and work). 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    caliking said:
    Do you have an HEB close to you? Some are carrying wagyu beef, but the selection of cuts varies from store to store. 

These were at one of them (between home and work). 

No closest is in Waxahachie. Thank god they are finally coming to Dallas though so hopefully they will kick Kroger outta this area soon enough.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

Just kidding.   I think the pork belly they sell is pretty awesome.  When I've made pork belly burnt ends or bacon using their belly - wow, quite a difference from a costco belly.  

Never cooked a ribeye cap before. How do you prepare and cook it?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

Lots of options there, but I like to unroll it, hit it with a little salt and pepper, and sear it hot and fast.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options

Lots of options there, but I like to unroll it, hit it with a little salt and pepper, and sear it hot and fast.  
    Absolutely this…..it’s unreal
  • lousubcap
    Options
    This thread may give you some insights-
    SRF Recommendations 
    BTW- the available brisket weight ranges are severely limited.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    TEXASBGE2018 said:
    No closest is in Waxahachie. Thank god they are finally coming to Dallas though so hopefully they will kick Kroger outta this area soon enough.
    If HEB really wants to flex when they open, wait until you see the brisket offerings... choice, grassfed, wagyu, prime, SRF, etc. It might possibly blow your mind. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Don’t sleep on their Kurobuta pork!  Best pork chops I’ve ever had by a lot.  Over the past year I’ve probably ordered more pork from them than beef.
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Shoot, I just got my order delivered today.
    Mountain View, CA
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    SmokeyLosAngeles Posts: 96
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Mine just showed up today.  Just got a couple gold filets and a black tritip.

The packaging/dry ice was really professional.  Meat was rock hard.
  • lousubcap
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @SmokeyLosAngeles - An opening I will not take.  Enjoy as it is great.  
    From a post I made earlier today on the WAYDRN thread:
    "Just got off the phone with SRF:  Both Black and Gold grade brisket lines are out of stock.  They expect more mid-late next week.  Fortunately my SRF brisket low level alarm goes off at two so all is well for now.
    First time I have ever seen that.  Selling too much to those HEB's in Texas I guess.   "

• gonepostal
    Options
    My package was scheduled to arrive Wednesday and I guess it won't be happening. Good ole FedEx. Again.
    I received a text from them saying that the package had been picked up Sunday night. After pulling up the tracking, I saw that they immediately scanned the package "shipment exception" and I knew from previous experiences that I would end up having to get in touch with SRF. 

As always, SRF is sending out a prompt replacement but this is getting really old. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @gonepostal- as you well know I could really rail on FedEx for the same level of incompetence you site but I won't this evening.  I doubt their performance will ever improve.  
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SmokeyLosAngeles - An opening I will not take.  Enjoy as it is great.  
    From a post I made earlier today on the WAYDRN thread:
    "Just got off the phone with SRF:  Both Black and Gold grade brisket lines are out of stock.  They expect more mid-late next week.  Fortunately my SRF brisket low level alarm goes off at two so all is well for now.
    First time I have ever seen that.  Selling too much to those HEB's in Texas I guess.   "

@lousubcap sorry if I said something off.  Im not tracking
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    I COOKED The Gold Filets They were really good.  I like the reverse sear.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I took advantage of this and got some new stuff  . . . .  Teres Major (never had) and old favs Flank & Full Tenderloin.  I cant wait.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”