Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who doesn't like a Good Turd?

Just Another Good Turd
Jalapeños
Carne asada (thin sliced)
Pork chorizo
Cream cheese
Spicy Beef Dry rub

Leave the handles on the jalapeños.   Using a paring knife slice from the shoulder to the tip of the jalapeño.  Lay the jalapeño in your hand lengthwise from finger tips to thumb.   Squeeze hand closed to open the jalapeño. (Like a coin purse) Use a small cocktail spoon to hollow out the seeds and membrane.

Smear cream cheese into the cavity and add chorizo. 

Lay out the thin sliced Carne Asada and season with beef rub of your choice.  Cut the piece of asada lengthwise.   Take the seasoned strip of asada and wrap the stufted jalapeño.   Use a tooth pick to hold together.

Dust with honey powder for a little sweet to beat the heat!

Into the egg at 250-300 for 2.5 hours indirect heat internal temp 190°. (Be sure the chorizo is cooked) 

Then... enjoy! 

*Chef's note as you can see the chorizo has very little extra fat.  Be sure to buy the 'dry' chorizo from the Mercado. (It's the stuff hanging behind the butcher) 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    That's genius! I've never seen the slit done before with the jalapenos. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • But the membrane is where the spicy is!

Looks great!  I’ve seen chicken wrapped ABTs, but not cow wrapped and chorizo stuffed. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • 2BAMBAM4
    2BAMBAM4 Posts: 64
    edited September 2021
    @sumoconnell

Isn't chicken a vegetable?   

My thought was this for the ABT's. Bacon, albeit a gateway meat... adds an extra bit of fat to the dish.   

The beef, because of the cut, crisps nicely and is a bit dryer.   The chorizo does have a little fat along with the cream cheese that compliments the beef. 

And I do agree about the membrane in the jalapeño... bring on the heat.. but my friends balk at what I call the burn through. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Never have tried that approach but will now.  That said, every time I use chorizo in an ABT I precook it so for me the finish line is the bacon.  Never have temp'd one.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think I like this?
  • Definitely a worthy variation. The chorizo will supply the fat that the bacon traditionally does.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    That looks great but you forgot the last layer of 🥓 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That's a great variation on the ABT.  I've got some competition friends who use competition brisket (mixed 2:1 with cream cheese) as a filling and wrap with bacon.  It does very well in competition and is among the best bites of food I've ever tasted.  It only seems to work with frozen brisket from previous competitions - probably for the reason you use the dry chorizo.  The "fresh" (cooked the previous day and refrigerated) brisket got things too liquid/greasy.

Anyway, this looks awesome and I like the thin beef on the outside.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    This looks amazing. Will definitely be giving this a try. I started doing my ABT with the slit a few years ago and makes a huge improvement in the cheese staying in. However I’ve never sliced them after the cook like you.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Really dumb question:  How spicy are these?  Is it like if you have to ask then they are not right for you?  Or does the cooking of the Jalapeño take a lot of it away? 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Really dumb question:  How spicy are these?  Is it like if you have to ask then they are not right for you?  Or does the cooking of the Jalapeño take a lot of it away? 

If you take the vein and seeds out it reduces the heat significantly.  Also in my experience if you cook them for only 20-45 minuets they seem to get "hotter" but after about the hour mark they become more mild.  My guess is that you start cooking off the capsaicin which is what gives peppers their heat.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Really dumb question:  How spicy are these?  Is it like if you have to ask then they are not right for you?  Or does the cooking of the Jalapeño take a lot of it away? 

If you take the vein and seeds out it reduces the heat significantly.  Also in my experience if you cook them for only 20-45 minuets they seem to get "hotter" but after about the hour mark they become more mild.  My guess is that you start cooking off the capsaicin which is what gives peppers their heat.
    I also find not everyone likes the same heat that I do. I'll echo what is said above and if you let the peppers soak in a bowl of cold water and dump the water a few different times and resoak the peppers with fresh water the pepper will almost lose all its heat I've found. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    edited September 2021

@saluki2007 answered your question, very well.

If they are too hot for you, my local grocery stores sell the little "sweet peppers" in a bag.  They are multi-colored.  They are shaped similar to a jalapeño, but a little fatter.  When I make ABT's for my kids, I use those.  All of the bacon, cream-cheese, chorizo goodness, without the heat.  Those peppers have zero heat.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Thanks all really good advice.  I might try it with a  couple of them and try the soaking in cold water a couple times first.  Ill be sure to get the insides (seeds & Stems) out.

@Langner91 FUNNY Enough I use those for tacos last night.  I never thought to use them for this idea.  Thank you. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @SmokeyLosAngeles - reminder: whenever messing about with Jalas or above on the Scoville scale always wear gloves.  Should you forget and rub your eye or worse you won't forget the next time.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Damn... those look farkin' awesome! I can't get the wrapped-in-carne-asada part out of my head. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    soaking jalapeños in Tequila will remove a fair amount of heat
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Great twist on the usual ABT for sure!  I like the details here in the post and the way you showed us all how to do it.  Nicely done!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    loco_engr said:
    Or, at least make you not care how hot they are!  Ariba!

Soaking me in Tequila has a similar effect!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Who doesn’t like a Good Turd? My thoughts exactly 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lousubcap said:
    @SmokeyLosAngeles - reminder: whenever messing about with Jalas or above on the Scoville scale always wear gloves.  Should you forget and rub your eye or worse you won't forget the next time.   B)
    Pro tip - remember to take a pisss BEFORE prepping jalapenos, ABTs, etc.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Pro tip - remember to take a pisss BEFORE prepping jalapenos, ABTs, etc.
    Just the tip?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Where do you get carne asada like that? Latin grocery?
    Mountain View, CA
  • dmourati said:
    Where do you get carne asada like that? Latin grocery?
    Yes,  from a Latin grocery.   Cisnaros is the cut as I recall
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    lo the title gets us all but the content is AMAZING. Nice job
  • loco_engr
    Langner91 said:
    loco_engr said:
    Or, at least make you not care how hot they are!  Ariba!

Soaking me in Tequila has a similar effect!
     =)=)=)  
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Mighty good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• loco_engr
    this made me think of a scene in a movie where a Baby Ruth candy bar was floating in a pool  =)    What movie was it?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Caddyshack?  Scene where the help gets to use the pool for 15 min or something?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA