Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    @Photo Egg, glad to hear y’all made it thru….3”
    of rain here so far in south central Louisiana. Nothing worth worrying about, but they canceled school anyway today……
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Photo Egg said:
    Lots of tree branches down everywhere but our power is holding.
    Some wind driven rain sheetrock damage but we were lucky.
    Glad to hear you are okay.  Looks like Galveston (you), Kemah & Seabrook got the worst of it.  We lost power for about 6 hours but other than that fared well.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    DuckDogDr said:
    Just shaking my head and cussing at this point....you just get to that point to where you're so pissed but at the same time there's nothing you can do about it...

3 days before the annual week long duck hunting trip and the fuggin engine in the boat locks up..

There's no way my repair guy can get parts and get them in this quick...looks like I'll be borrowing the ladyfriend's leaky canoe and have duck dog paddle while I bail water 

equipment rental places sometimes have them for rent 20/25 bucks a day, price goes down after 3 days
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DuckDogDr said:
    Just shaking my head and cussing at this point....you just get to that point to where you're so pissed but at the same time there's nothing you can do about it...

3 days before the annual week long duck hunting trip and the fuggin engine in the boat locks up..

There's no way my repair guy can get parts and get them in this quick...looks like I'll be borrowing the ladyfriend's leaky canoe and have duck dog paddle while I bail water 
    Or have ladyfriend paddle.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    RIP Norm McDonald
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    SonVolt said:
    RIP Norm McDonald
    I just saw that.  His impersonation of Burt Reynolds as a Jeopardy contestant was one of the funniest things I ever saw on SNL.  RIP indeed.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Home insurance company (USAA) gets back to us.  "You have $5000 in damage, based on our assessor person, from the storm.  Your hurricane deductible is $6800.  Thanks for being a customer."....   Same as Katrina, except I think damages were around $500 more than the deductible.  Looks like Top Ramen for dinner tonight!
    @nolaegghead - I'm guessing you have shopped other insurance companies.  I have been with USAA across the insurance spectrum for several decades and am not pleased with their current attitude.  Have shopped elsewhere but for the complete package, they still win.
    They need to rediscover their conscience but doubtful in today's environment.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited September 2021
    @nolaegghead I sure appreciate the offer but I'd just mess up the motor. I learned that the hard way when I was a young pup. We're running in mostly mud with a little bit of water and that doesn't fare well for the inpellers. We swapped to the go devil set ups years ago 

I do appreciate it though.

Sorry about your house damage
  • @DuckDogDr sounds like every day around here. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DuckDogDr said:
    @nolaegghead I sure appreciate the offer but I'd just mess up the motor. I learned that the hard way when I was a young pup. We're running in mostly mud with a little bit of water and that doesn't fare well for the inpellers. We swapped to the go devil set ups years ago 

I do appreciate it though.

Sorry about your house damage
    Pick up a “Go Devil”
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Functionally, the main difference between "go-devils" and outboards is the former is air-cooled.
    Functionally you can run the go devil in extra shallow water as it’s not at a fixed depth, also you can run in water that is full of trash and weeds without plugging the prop or water cooling system.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    lousubcap said:
    @nolaegghead - I'm guessing you have shopped other insurance companies.  I have been with USAA across the insurance spectrum for several decades and am not pleased with their current attitude.  Have shopped elsewhere but for the complete package, they still win.
    They need to rediscover their conscience but doubtful in today's environment.  FWIW-
    I was with USAA for a time, too, until I turned 25.  I bought my first “nice” car (‘86 Saab Turbo) but was surprised at the high insurance rate, they told me “Yeah, you’re 25 now, but you were 24 when you renewed your insurance on your Rustang last month, and we added your Saab to your old policy”.  I said, well, cancel my old policy, and I’ll renew both tomorrow.  “Oh, you can’t do that, we keep track!” [/extremely snooty female voice].  
    I visited State Farm the next day, explained the situation, and learned I got better coverage for less money, AND they offered a musicians insurance, covering my 3 $2,000 synths left overnight in a seedy bar (USAA had no similar plan), I signed up.
    I called USAA the next day, and I’m pretty sure I got the same !%&^ B*tch, and was happy to cancel everything (including homeowners). A very satisfying phone call, for me.  
    I had another very bad incident, with my second Saab, in 2003.  State Farm really disappointed me with their decision, but then three weeks later or so I got a letter from them, “After reviewing your situation, we’re going to pay your claim, …Yada”.  I was floored, because after reading my contract, legally they were right to refuse my claim.  
    They have a lifetime customer in me, now.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    edited September 2021
    @Botch good advice I got from a friend much wiser than myself, insurance is negotiable.  We just changed carriers last year, better coverage and dropped the overall total >$1k a year.  Our previous carrier tried to renegotiate once we had already signed new contracts, claiming they forgot to remove my wife’s accident was their mistake, but didn’t want to credit me the extra $$ we’d paid over the last 2 years.   Much like cable and internet if there are competitors to choose from, you can either find cheaper or use competitors for leverage to keep costs down.  Some insurances like flood however can be much harder to negotiate if the location is in the 10 vs 100 year flood elevation.
  • nolaegghead
    You can negotiate flood insurance? 

you can negotiate the small fee that usaa gets, other than that youre screwed
    fukahwee maine

• Bar said:
    SonVolt said:
    RIP Norm McDonald
    I just saw that.  His impersonation of Burt Reynolds as a Jeopardy contestant was one of the funniest things I ever saw on SNL.  RIP indeed.
    I just watched that skit thanks to your response ... holy smokes that was funny.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • You can negotiate flood insurance? 

Sorry - didn’t clarify well, fish is correct on flood. You can likely negotiate some of the “extra” coverages for some of the personal property, but in general flood is government backed with no negotiating. 

I do know that since we are not in a flood plain, flood insurance is somewhat negotiable for us in consideration for a sump pump that craps out to cover contents.  Mostly whatever falls in the personal property category.  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671

Sorry - didn’t clarify well, fish is correct on flood. You can likely negotiate some of the “extra” coverages for some of the personal property, but in general flood is government backed with no negotiating. 

I do know that since we are not in a flood plain, flood insurance is somewhat negotiable for us in consideration for a sump pump that craps out to cover contents.  Mostly whatever falls in the personal property category.  

you can negotiate with lloyds of london and your bank, its not federally funded.  i dont need the cost of the house being replaced insured, its not going to fall down or get pushed off its foundation which is pretty much what needs to happen with the fed backed plan here. conservation is another nightmare, theres been an earthen dam around my work property, its been there over a hundred years and they wont let me fix it to protect the building
    fukahwee maine

• BigreenGreg
    BigreenGreg Posts: 581
    edited September 2021
    Thinking of hanging out near ACN’s wine store for hopes of free samples, adoption, etc…
    cute Kitty.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Thinking of hanging out near ACN’s wine store for hopes of free samples, adoption, etc…
    cute Kitty.
    This….or some killer deals on a forum friendly wine buy…cute kitten 
  • Truth be told, I wasn’t sure whether @Acn’s reference to “our wine store” meant a store that he owned, or just one that he frequented often. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Truth be told, I wasn’t sure whether @Acn’s reference to “our wine store” meant a store that he owned, or just one that he frequented often. 
    It’s one we frequent often, at this point we’re friends with the owners.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    You can NAVIGATE flood waters, but you can't negotiate flood insurance.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Enjoying some smoked scotch eggs and cider 

Bombdiggity Scotch Eggs right there! , I don't like seeing them " Hard Boiled " perfect yolks on those ...........speaking of which, where has @theyolksonyou been 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    lkapigian said:
    Enjoying some smoked scotch eggs and cider 

Bombdiggity Scotch Eggs right there! , I don't like seeing them " Hard Boiled " perfect yolks on those ...........speaking of which, where has @theyolksonyou been 
    Jason is active on the butt blast SMS (text) group daily with a bunch of other eggers that don't login much anymore.