Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I was gonna wait but-Tomorrow is 9/11 twenty years on! We all remember where we were!

Options

September 11 aka 9/11, that day grips me like no other.  We can NEVER forget- we are all Americans first and that needs to rise to the top of any discussions about 9/11/2001. There were tens of thousands of ordinary heroes during that time.  Twenty years on we are still all in this together.

Talk about delivering the goods, who can forget President Bush and the historic first pitch at Yankee stadium October 30th.  However, that night, the first pitch meant more than just "play ball." it meant moving forward. It meant unity. With that throw, Bush helped heal a city and a nation.

Bush’s words- “a great people have been moved to defend a great nation. Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.”

Stay healthy and safe out there.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Cap it seems like yesterday. I was in Northwest Arctic Borough (Shungnak) Alaska at time. I was lucky enough to make it back down to Anchorage on a pond jumper that day. But that is where the luck ran out. Ended stuck in Anchorage for weeks. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FarmingPhD
    Options
    I was at a high school FFA soil judging competition. We got back to school that day and we did nothing but watch the news the rest of the day and attended a community prayer meeting that evening.  

With the recent events going on globally I have reflected on this event many times recently and my heart aches for those lost and those that sacrificed so much because of those events.  Cap - thanks for bringing it up publicly here.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Like @FarmingPhD, I was also in school. We were ushered to the tv shortly after news that the first plane had hit. Watched live tv in disbelief as the second hit. A tragic moment for our species, as are all acts of violence. The most heart-wrenching part for me was watching those in the tower jump to their deaths just to avoid the flames. 
  • Terpderpitude
    Options
    And yet, more US citizens died from covid-19 just yesterday.  
  • Terpderpitude
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Terpderpitude - I'm not sure the message you are sending 
    I’m putting things in perspective, sailor.  Up periscope.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    There is no perspective when one is not of our choosing and the other is of our own volition.  I will see you in another thread or PM.  Your choice.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Nuke his ass, Frank!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Terpderpitude
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    There is no perspective when one is not of our choosing and the other is of our own volition.  I will see you in another thread or PM.  Your choice.  
    We all remember 9/11.  It was an important day in a lot of ways.  But what then?  More important than the events of that day is how we responded.  
       If the response can’t be discussed in this thread then what is the point.  If you want to light a fire and sing kumbayah that’s fine but we all have choices.  Last time I checked it was still a free country.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    @Terpderpitude - If you want it then start the response thread and leave this to those who just want to reflect. 
  • Terpderpitude
    Terpderpitude Posts: 200
    edited September 2021
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Terpderpitude - If you want it then start the response thread and leave this to those who just want to reflect. 
    “ These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.”
       You opened the door there cap.  Don’t blame me for walking right on through it.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    “ These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.”
    I don't get your point, either. Assuming you have one?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Terpderpitude
    Options
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Maybe this will help 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/09/podcasts/the-daily/counterterrorism-fbi-september-11-terry-albury.html?smid=url-share
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Cap, I remember where I was vividly. Hooked up to IV chemo watching it all unfold. Sobering, tragic and horrifying. Our country was great 20 years ago. The **** that is occurring daily is a pathetic excuse of what America became post 9/11. Thank you and all of the men and women in the armed forces for your service. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I was at work trying to do something that just doesn’t matter. When people started to gather in front of the tv in the conference room. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,861
    Options
    Yes, I certainly do.  As a UK police officer and child of the 70's the presence and consequences of terrorism was familiar to me.  But this just looked surreal. I was in a Staff Officer role to the Chief and we just stared at the TV for a few minutes.

It is impossible to image what life would be like now without 9/11.  Directly or indirectly those events affected the thoughts, actions and attitudes of billions of people.  Has there been a single act of such significance before or since?

My heart goes out to those left behind by people who just went to work one day and never came back.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I was listening to one of the local radio stations when they mentioned that a plane had struck the World Trade Center. I walked into school where there was a TV. I remember watching it unfold with another guy. I had to get to class but came back to the TV about an hour later and it was packed with people. I remember that night being eerily quite. When walking outside I could hear military aircrafts flying around. A day that would change America forever. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Terpderpitude
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Maybe this will help 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/09/podcasts/the-daily/counterterrorism-fbi-september-11-terry-albury.html?smid=url-share
     Nope. Still not seeing the point as to why you're shiting on this thread. 

I'll stop feeding the troll now. 
    Am I though? If the truth is trolling then color me guilty. We need to face the truth, because if we can’t we are lost as a country.
      I am reminded of the memes that came out last year in which the 10 deadliest days in United States history were listed. The information wasn’t exactly correct, of course, but it mentioned days like 9/11 along with “last Tuesday” because so many people are dying in today’s tragedy of COVID.
       How far we have fallen when thousands of American deaths every day – rivaling the 9/11 losses every two or three days even now – go largely accepted as inevitable despite the availability of easy mitigation? We shrug our shoulders in apathy as if COVID is a school shooting or a homeless person begging on the street for a sandwich.
       It’s good and fine to remember the event these 20 years later, but nationalistic displays and lofty speeches given from piles of smoking rubble won’t save the day with our current tragedy. We are going to have to genuinely care for each other, and apparently that’s a bridge too far.
       In the meantime we have given up some of our freedoms and our character as a country.  We take off our shoes in the airport because some jihadi jerkoff tried to blow up his Air Jordan’s - and failed!  The NSA is listening to our every phone call.  We locked people up in Gitmo for years and years before releasing them after finally admiring the evidence we had was obtained after hundreds of hours of torture.  The FBI continues to harass immigrants whose only crime is the color of their skin.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,572
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I was in Scotland playing golf on Royal Troon. We heard what was happening from the four ball ahead of us, we all packed up and went back to our hotel. Our first thought was we had to get back to the States but all trans Atlantic flights were on hold, we hung out in Glasgow for a week and were the first flight out to Toronto Canada where we were stranded until they opened the airspace in the USA.Eventually we made it back home. 

God Bless America today and always!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I was with a work colleague driving a rented van to Boston City Hall, picking up some presentation materials after a big public meeting the night before. We were bringing it back to the office. 

We were half-listening to Howard Stern, and someone called in to say a plane had crashed into the first tower. We assumed it was a Cessna or some errant small plane. Stern was giving the guy grief for jumping to conclusions. 

The caller was right though. 

When we got back to the office, the second plane had hit, and we were all in shock (like everyone) watching on a tv, listening to radio, and refreshing CNN. 

We didn’t have any idea what was going on, if we could get home (train, subway etc was packed).

Our boss asked us to get back to work. 

We had friends in other offices in New York, and one of the principals sent around an email telling everyone to get it together and get back to work too. 

I left that line of work a few years later. 
  • bella21
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Maybe this will help 

Am I though? If the truth is trolling then color me guilty. We need to face the truth, because if we can’t we are lost as a country.
      I am reminded of the memes that came out last year in which the 10 deadliest days in United States history were listed. The information wasn’t exactly correct, of course, but it mentioned days like 9/11 along with “last Tuesday” because so many people are dying in today’s tragedy of COVID.
       How far we have fallen when thousands of American deaths every day – rivaling the 9/11 losses every two or three days even now – go largely accepted as inevitable despite the availability of easy mitigation? We shrug our shoulders in apathy as if COVID is a school shooting or a homeless person begging on the street for a sandwich.
       It’s good and fine to remember the event these 20 years later, but nationalistic displays and lofty speeches given from piles of smoking rubble won’t save the day with our current tragedy. We are going to have to genuinely care for each other, and apparently that’s a bridge too far.
       In the meantime we have given up some of our freedoms and our character as a country.  We take off our shoes in the airport because some jihadi jerkoff tried to blow up his Air Jordan’s - and failed!  The NSA is listening to our every phone call.  We locked people up in Gitmo for years and years before releasing them after finally admiring the evidence we had was obtained after hundreds of hours of torture.  The FBI continues to harass immigrants whose only crime is the color of their skin.

I bet your fun at parties. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Moving ceremony going on right now at ground zero.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    Maybe this will help 

Oh, the irony. Newsflash- lofty speeches on a bbq forum won't either. 

But, kudos to you. You managed to trivialize the COVID pandemic, gun violence in schools, and homelessness, in one sentence. 

Take it to another thread.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I remember calling my parents in Alaska and telling them to get out of bed and turn on the tv.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I was at work listening on the radio as events unfolded.  My colleagues were watching the news in the director’s office.  I had a state mandated deadline to deliver some reports so that was out.  I sat alone in the big empty office entering data.  I wept and prayed and typed.

That week I gave blood.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This piece, on the manager of the restaurant on top of the North Tower, who survived the day by a sheer accident of fate that made him late getting into work, will hit you right in the feels:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/glenn-vogt-september-11/620030/

Haunting, and worth your time.