Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Coast Eggers: Ida

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,769
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:
    DUMB DUMB question here - OK??? EVEN without this horrible flooding and all the latent moisture then how do you keep all your expensive power tools from rusting? much less locking up the internal hidden components with rust even in GOOD times down there in humid NO???
    My last Active Duty assignment was in Grand Forks ND.  I had a roomy garage and was building up my woodworking shop, so I insulated/sheetrocked the garage and found a forced-air kerosene heater could bring it from -25˚ to 50˚ in about twenty minutes; fantastic!  
    Not.  The air warmed up that much, but not any metal.  My hand froze to my tablesaw as soon as I touched it, and it developed a good rust patina and I gave up on the heater idea; like NOLA said above, its moist air hitting cold surfaces that gets you.
    When the movers were packing my stuff to leave, I cut a stack of fine sandpaper and derusted/waxed all my tools.  No issues here in the high desert.  

some of the big heavy metal fabricating equipment here will form rust puddles in the spring under them from the changing temps. cant let the machine shop get that cold though, part dimensions change too much touching cold machinery
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Got the new pole but no progress removing the old.  I need to fix my service before they notice.
    Options
    Got a loaner back and loaned it to a buddy who called me earlier "dammit, I want my money back on that generator you sold me 18 years ago!"  He was f-in' with me.  It finally died last night.
    Options
    Just shut the generator down to check the oil...down a quart from when I changed it on Monday, I think.  I am burning 10oz a day.  Not a big deal but this unit is old and used enough where I should probably start thinking about a rebuild or replacement.  

I turned it back on with "auto" rather than "manual".  I guess it thought I was exercising it because it shut down after 15 minutes.  Scared the hell out of me because I'd be sh!t out of luck if it died.  Fired it up on manual again and it's fine now. 

My buddy's old generator I sold him has some issue by shutting off after 15 seconds.  He has another with a stuck float valve.  I'm going to try fixing one of those tomorrow as a backup.  I'm going to need some power at my shop to fix the electrical service this weekend anyway.
    Options
    They're dragging a transformer.  I'm supposed to have three.
    Options
    (Not that I'm using all three legs but I pay for commercial 3-phase power)
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Glad you have the skills to handle most of this.

I've done lots of commercial electrical through my job.  Fortunately a good friend of mine is a very good electrical engineer in town specializing in commercial and institutional electric.  I've been tapping him on what to do.  He's super busy with all the Ida damage.
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Smart to hurricane proof them by installing horizontally, worst that can happen next time is they'll be blown upright  =) jk of course
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My buddy in the hood got power last night, I just picked up my generator from him.   Just a matter of time.

On the down side, our central AC took a dump last night and it's about 82F in our house.  I'm going to have to fire up the backup AC which takes some electrical work to move it off a circuit that isn't on the generator.
    Keep the 3 phase, you would have to pay to upgrade later, and you can buy ridiculously awesome 3 phase equipment for pennies on the dollar. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Curious, is flood insurance or hurricane damage insurance available on your houses? I know flood is difficult to get where I am and a bad storm here is 1-2 inches of rain. We had a "100 year" storm a few years back which saw 4" in 24 hours. Absolutely nothing compared to what you guys see. We do have below grade basements, but i can't imagine what the premium would be in a hurricane zone if its even available at all?
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Flood insurance is a government program administered by private insurance.  Cost is based on flood zone.  We are in a good zone so it is only around $400/yr.  There is all kinds of fine print in homeowners that covers everything else, but it covers wind damage and water damage that isn't covered in flood insurance. 
    Options
    No power yet.  Shut down central AC because it was acting up.  Wired up a 12k btu ductless inverter AC in the bedroom.  Working great, was worried there would be an issue with dirty power.

Options
    poster said:
    Curious, is flood insurance or hurricane damage insurance available on your houses? 
    What NOLA said above.
    I wanted to get flood insurance for my place in Grand Forks, but couldn't since I wasn't in the flood plain (the boundary was the street I lived on, I just lived on the wrong side).  
    I sold the place when I PCS'd in Dec 1995.  The house was destroyed by the Grand Forks Flood of Spring 1996.  Karma to the buyer, but I won't get into that.  
    Flood Insurance was fully privatized sometime before 1991, but the wealthy who had waterside properties (rivers, bays and oceans) saw their rates soar, and the guv'mint soon re-subsidized (one of the most important things I learned during study for my MS in Industrial Engineering).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

And speaking of which, I can see the mayor's/city councilmen's neighborhoods from here!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    Options

Yours or some one else? Either way it will have to be stripped back and the plywood either repaired or replaced at that location. Any damage to the under laying trusses? Too bad because the shingles look in good shape over all.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yours or some one else? Either way it will have to be stripped back and the plywood either repaired or replaced at that location. Any damage to the under laying trusses? Too bad because the shingles look in good shape over all.
    That's my shop in the back yard (aka "manbearcave").  I didn't notice it until today.

I put the roof on 15 years ago when I built it.  It has a big valley and 5 sky-windows.  I have had leaks for the past few years and it's about time to replace.  I know I have some water damage in a section of walls, will have to do a few structural things when I do the roof.