Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

weekend line up?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Being Labor Day and all that - then what is your menu list? 

Mine:
burgers tonight
BBQ chicken pieces and parts Sat
spares Sunday
soooooo…give me an idea for Monday since I obviously jumped ahead!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Saturday- out to dinner
    Sunday -small paella (seafood forward)
    Monday- pulled pork (playing with the stick burner) for the local firehouse and a small section of a bavette steak on the home front.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Hmmm, I see I have already collected a “disagree” on my legit inquiry…so do tell me what your “disagree” cook is? A clown burger? A cow flop pie? Chicken shizt on a shingle? PLEASE enlighten us, Mr disagreer! 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Ron if things go as planned:
    Tomorrow, all you can eat catfish and hush puppies. 
    Sunday going to break in the new carbon steel Detroit pizza pan. Going to try a pepperoni, sausage and a very special mystery meat Detroit style pizza on the BGE. 
    Monday will probably be anus or chargrilled oysters. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @SGH - Just save the anus for dessert and hammer the chargrilled oysters.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    RRP said:
    Hmmm, I see I have already collected a “disagree” on my legit inquiry…so do tell me what your “disagree” cook is? A clown burger? A cow flop pie? Chicken shizt on a shingle? PLEASE enlighten us, Mr disagreer! 

It's the reaction you give them each time someone disagrees with you.....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @RRP. My freeze-tite showed up this week so going for pizzas tonight.  Any tips on how to get the dough not to stick to this stuff?
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Last night was leftover Tri tip fajitas.  

Today will be baby backs

Sunday intentionally left open 

Monday pork butt
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Last night went out with friends to Salvino’s local Italian restaurant 
    Today I will be doing a butterflied leg of lamb 
    That’s as far as I have planned
    Everyone have a great Labor Day weekend 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Peppers and sausage tonight, burgers tomorrow, brisket chili Monday.  All cooked outdoors because we’re on the way to Shenandoah.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Pulled some plate ribs and ribeyes from the freezer last night. We’ll see what else is in store
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    edited September 2021
    SGH said:
    Ron if things go as planned:
    Tomorrow, all you can eat catfish and hush puppies. 
    Sunday going to break in the new carbon steel Detroit pizza pan. Going to try a pepperoni, sausage and a very special mystery meat Detroit style pizza on the BGE. 
    Monday will probably be anus or chargrilled oysters. 
    If someone opened up an all-you-can-eat grilled oyster and anus joint, I'm thinking we'd probably never hear from you again.

What would the name of such a joint be?  The Fried Hushpuppies, Anus, and oysTer Amazing Snack Shack, or The FHAT-ASS, for short?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    Hoster05 said:
    @RRP. My freeze-tite showed up this week so going for pizzas tonight.  Any tips on how to get the dough not to stick to this stuff?
    It won't stick.
  • Fish fry is only thing planned currently.  Maybe save the oil and do a Vietnamese fried baby squid recipe on Monday.
  • Chili tonight, pork chops tomorrow, then some experimental pork banh mi burgers for Monday.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SWMBO made dolma and eggrolls.  I cranked on the flyer and it's been boiling the water out of it for 20 minutes.  Guess that was the storm

• It worked to perfection @RRP
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • RRP
    edited September 2021
    From your earlier pizza threads I know you like thin crusts. Without rolling them with a pin which is the reason I thought you wanted the Freezer-Tite then I’m curious how you got them thin using sticky dough in the past. BTW those were beautiful pies!
  • caliking said:

Mango Dream icebox cake (no pics), made for a nice summer treat at the end. 
    Oh man.  I have some vague notion of what that could be like, and now I want to make one.  

All the rest looks amazing as usual, but the sound of that cake… damn.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    caliking said:
    Summer rolls, with peanut sauce. Rolled skinny, liberties taken re: rolling them. 

Turkey + eggplant burgers (with pimiento cheese!). Yeah, it’s hard to get excited about turkey burgers, but this Serious Eats recipe was a game changer. Homemade buns. Friends brought pasta salad, which was pretty tasty, too. 

Home made buns? Geez, doc, Please tell us more! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    caliking said:

Oh man.  I have some vague notion of what that could be like, and now I want to make one.  

All the rest looks amazing as usual, but the sound of that cake… damn.
    Its pretty simple. Found this not too long ago:
    https://amandascookin.com/strawberry-dream-dessert/

That turned out well, so made some mods for the mango version:
    - Subbed frozen organic mango chunks 20 oz for the strawberries. Costco was out of the ataulfo mangoes that I like (out of season). 

-When mixing the cream cheese and butter:
    • Decreased powdered sugar to 1 cup
    • Added strawberry syrup 2 TBSP
    • Added lemon juice 1tsp , and a pinch of salt
    Put it all together, per recipe. Refrigerate for a few hours... done!

Not fancy, but everyone enjoyed it.

And, don't hate on Cool Whip. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    RRP said:
    I haven't bought burger buns in 4+ yrs. Started with the recipe from Hamelman's Bread a few years back, , but Joshua Weissman's recipe for brioche-ish Japanese milk bread-style buns is mo' bettah. Tender crumb, but with enough structure to hold up a good burger. 

Here's the recipe I used. Basically the Joshua Weissman recipe, but higher hydration. I liked this one even more, and will be baking these going forward:
    https://www.oliviascuisine.com/fluffiest-brioche-buns/

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Short ribs

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    There it is

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RRP
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    I haven't bought burger buns in 4+ yrs. Started with the recipe from Hamelman's Bread a few years back, , but Joshua Weissman's recipe for brioche-ish Japanese milk bread-style buns is mo' bettah. Tender crumb, but with enough structure to hold up a good burger. 

Here's the recipe I used. Basically the Joshua Weissman recipe, but higher hydration. I liked this one even more, and will be baking these going forward:
    https://www.oliviascuisine.com/fluffiest-brioche-buns/
    Thank you, kind SIR!

that gives me yet some MORE baking challenges! 

I will have to cut that recipe down!  Do you still feel it is worth the effort for just 2 burgers for the 2 of us?,
  • caliking
    RRP said:
    I will have to cut that recipe down!  Do you still feel it is worth the effort for just 2 burgers for the 2 of us?,
    Yep, it’s worth it. 

You can make half the recipe (4 buns). Freeze the extra 2, or eat them as bread. They toast up well, and are pretty darn tasty. 

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    edited September 2021
    I make that recipe often.  There are only two of us so I wrap the extras in  plastic wrap for the freezer.  They keep well and are great for a lunch sandwich. I find about 90-100 grams is a good size.

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • RRP
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    Yep, it’s worth it. 

You can make half the recipe (4 buns). Freeze the extra 2, or eat them as bread. They toast up well, and are pretty darn tasty. 
    I had no idea that they could be frozen! Yup…I WILL be trying these soon! Mind if I ask you another question or two about them once I get the time to try making them?
  • caliking
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    Yep, it’s worth it. 

I had no idea that they could be frozen! Yup…I WILL be trying these soon! Mind if I ask you another question or two about them once I get the time to try making them?
    Ask away! I make these somewhat regularly. 

Re: freezing, as @GlennM mentioned above, wrap each bun in cling wrap, then freeze. For extra credit, vac seal them, after they have frozen solid. 

Disclaimer: I've never frozen these, because we finish them within a few days. They easily last a week or two in the fridge.