Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

weekend line up?

Options
2»

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    Here is another great recipe for buns. I like these as well as Joshuha’s recipe. Remember to watch the size, 100 gr or less, 130 gr is a very large bun

https://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/66960/sally-lunn-buns-try-these
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • GlennM
    Options
  • GlennM
    Options
    caliking said: For extra credit, vac seal them, after they have frozen solid. 

I have thought about vac sealing them but wondered if they would flatten out when thawed?  I guess you would just take them out of the vac bag to thaw 🤓
  • Hoster05
    Options
    RRP said:
    From your earlier pizza threads I know you like thin crusts. Without rolling them with a pin which is the reason I thought you wanted the Freezer-Tite then I’m curious how you got them thin using sticky dough in the past. BTW those were beautiful pies!
    I would previously stretch them out by hand. 
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SGH said:
    Ron, unfortunately it ended up chargrilled and New Orleans style oysters instead of anus. Still a treat 👍

Nice, just a notch down from eating a char-grilled oyster from a shaved anus.  Presentation is under-rated.

Options
    Nice, just a notch down from eating a char-grilled oyster from a shaved anus.  Presentation is under-rated.

Agree x 1000. And well said my friend 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Ron, unfortunately I didn’t get to test out the new carbon steel Detroit pizza pan due to time constraints. With that said, thought I would have the oysters one more time 👍

On a side note, if I had 1/64 of your money I would eat things like this way more often. Must be nice having unlimited money my friend. Unfortunately I will never know. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    GlennM said:

I have thought about vac sealing them but wondered if they would flatten out when thawed?  I guess you would just take them out of the vac bag to thaw 🤓
    That shouldn't be an issue. The frozen buns will occupy the same volume of space in the bag when they thaw, as they did when frozen. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    caliking said:
    GlennM said:

That shouldn't be an issue. The frozen buns will occupy the same volume of space in the bag when they thaw, as they did when frozen. 
    Guess I R corn fused! Do you bake these first and then freeze them? Or divide and roll the raw dough into balls before freezing…then thawing…then baking?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    GlennM said:

Guess I R corn fused! Do you bake these first and then freeze them? Or divide and roll the raw dough into balls before freezing…then thawing…then baking?
    If you're planning to freeze some, I would bake --> wrap individually--> freeze--> vac seal--> back in the freezer. 

The usual MO this side is to bake them, let them sit out at RT for 2-3 days, then refrigerate. They're usually gone in a week or so. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    GlennM said:

If you're planning to freeze some, I would bake --> wrap individually--> freeze--> vac seal--> back in the freezer. 

The usual MO this side is to bake them, let them sit out at RT for 2-3 days, then refrigerate. They're usually gone in a week or so. 
    A whole week?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    GlennM said:

caliking said:
    RRP said:
    caliking said:
    GlennM said:

Thank you, kind Sir!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GlennM
    Options
    We eat them first day and wrap and freeze the that evening. They taste fresh after thawing 
  • SGH
    Options
    Ron, the meatballs are not homemade, the sauce is a mixture of 3 different jar sauces, the cheese is out of a bag and the dough mix is out of a bag. But here it is right off the BGE. Detroit style pizza out of the new “blue steel” pan. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For anyone interested in the Detroit pizzas, here is the steel pan. Another popular pan is the Loyds aluminum pan. 

Status- Standing by.