Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs smoked with bourbon barrel chunks

Options
Getting the XL ready to do a couple of racks of BBRs. The ash and residue in the bottom, was a very fragrant reminder of the chunks I used to smoke a couple of cooks prior to today. I was not expecting that fragrance to be as prominent as it was. Interesting.
We will see what happens.

Hoping the best for our family of Egger’s in NOLA. 
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    Options
    Looks awesome!! Just curious as I was following the other bourbon barrel thread but how much bourbon/whiskey flavor comes out compared to a regular smoke? I love the flavor but my wife not so much. Thanks!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Looks great Ron…. Complete meal right there…
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    wps456 said:
    Looks awesome!! Just curious as I was following the other bourbon barrel thread but how much bourbon/whiskey flavor comes out compared to a regular smoke? I love the flavor but my wife not so much. Thanks!
    For whatever reason, the bourbon whiskey aroma releases a sweet smokey flavor. The expected bourbon flavor is extremely mild, if at all. These were pretty awesome.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @JohnnyTarheel - thank you sir, you should try this if you have not already tried it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Blanton’s chunks ordered…..another rabbit hole….thanks @YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Blanton’s chunks ordered…..another rabbit hole….thanks @YukonRon
    Least expensive aspect of owning a big green egg will be your initial purchase. It. Never. Ends. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Bourbon Barrels are made from White Oak. This is an excellent wood for smoking, imparting a "toasted marshmallow" quality. I'm a hobbyist woodworker that works primarily in White Oak. I save all my scraps and offcuts for the egg. Never not yummy.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks like a fantastic meal!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• YukonRon
    Options
    Turned out rather nice, easy cook, too. Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Bourbon Barrels are made from White Oak. This is an excellent wood for smoking, imparting a "toasted marshmallow" quality. I'm a hobbyist woodworker that works primarily in White Oak. I save all my scraps and offcuts for the egg. Never not yummy.
    Absolutely agree. The added sugar/caramel flavor from bourbon, does not suck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    fracking awesome cook!
    Store brought chipotle raspberry sauce?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • YukonRon
    edited September 2021
    Options
    @loco_engr

I tried making the sauce, it sucked. I use Blue’s Hog. Great on poultry and pork. Try it you will not be sorry.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Started some more, but I prepped them a bit different, than just dry rubbing, as I normally do. I made a paste consisting of my personal blend of rubs, with a kick of spice, mustard and olive oil. Love the opportunity to try something new/different to me.

I am smoking with some peach chunks (“Thank you” to a great friend that was a great contributor to the forum and a Blaster) and some pecan chunks.

We will see how these turn out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Made some pasta salad to go with the ribs:

This^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian