Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

covid crazy

Options
the mayo isle was practically bare, who is hoarding the mayo.  i can understand the deli selection being way off but 3 shelves 30 feet wide down to a couple dozen bottles?
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Must have previously undisclosed covid prevention or healing powers??   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Must have previously undisclosed covid prevention or healing powers??   =)

shopping is almost like hunting. last two wing packages in the store were, get this, organic, air dried, vacuum packed. the vacuum pulls the liquid out of the wings and they are soaked upon opening the packet. who makes these marketing terms up...
    fukahwee maine

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I hear the lastest shortage is plastic, which affects lots of the mayonnaise packaging.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lousubcap said:

the containers is a tough one, china grabs all the containers when you enter the ports, and when china builds new containers at the new inflated steel costs, they get grabbed at the next port. they used to just get swapped as goods were transported to new destinations at the various ports
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I hear the lastest shortage is plastic, which affects lots of the mayonnaise packaging.

that could be it, not a squeeze jar on the shelf which is what i wanted for lunch on the boat. transferred some from a jar at home instead
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    When the first panic buying wave of the pandemic hit over a year ago, I was shopping at Costco (pallet of TP to resell on eBay) when I overheard a couple trying to figure out what to stock up on for the crisis.  She grabbed a couple of sleeves of tuna cans and put them in the cart.  He put them back and absolutely lit into her, telling her she had to think like a prepper and stick to things that don’t need refrigeration.  You can’t have tuna without mayo and mayo HAS to be refrigerated, so the tuna’s out.

I wonder how they’re holding up.

Anyway, maybe it’s a bunch of half preppers that have made a run on the mayo without really thinking it through like super survivalist guy that I ran into.  How was the tuna aisle?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    I've heard farmers are really having issues getting a hold of horse and sheep de-wormer.  Not sure what that's about...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:
    When the first panic buying wave of the pandemic hit over a year ago, I was shopping at Costco (pallet of TP to resell on eBay) when I overheard a couple trying to figure out what to stock up on for the crisis.  She grabbed a couple of sleeves of tuna cans and put them in the cart.  He put them back and absolutely lit into her, telling her she had to think like a prepper and stick to things that don’t need refrigeration.  You can’t have tuna without mayo and mayo HAS to be refrigerated, so the tuna’s out.

Anyway, maybe it’s a bunch of half preppers that have made a run on the mayo without really thinking it through like super survivalist guy that I ran into.  How was the tuna aisle?

Legume said:

my experience with store bought mayo is you can store it on the counter opened and use it daily. safety police say.....NO WAY
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    I've heard farmers are really having issues getting a hold of horse and sheep de-wormer.  Not sure what that's about...

have seen people on horse tranquilizer but never on a de-wormer. just so you know, you need a good scale and the ability to do math
    fukahwee maine

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina there was a meme yesterday that said glad they put the microchips in the de-wormer 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Legume said:

Legume said:

my experience with store bought mayo is you can store it on the counter opened and use it daily. safety police say.....NO WAY
    I watched an Hows it Made and the topic was Mayo. The head dude of the company went over how it didn’t need to be in the fridge. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Legume said:

Legume said:

I watched an Hows it Made and the topic was Mayo. The head dude of the company went over how it didn’t need to be in the fridge. 

ive seen people store it in their desk at work. i think you are basically fine if you dont contaminate it by double dipping with a spoon you were mixing say...tuna fish. i know i have it over 50 degrees on the boat quite often, then back in the fridge end of day.
    fukahwee maine

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Blue Plate doesn’t have to be refrigerated. That’s why many many restaurants use it 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • DavidCrumpton
    DavidCrumpton Posts: 198
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Yeah, next we will have to deal with the health crisis from all the hoarders getting fat from the excuse of staying indoors to avoid COVID. 
  • PigBeanUs
    PigBeanUs Posts: 932
    Options
    fishlessman

Just because the manufacturer says so, and the FFA, and simple logic, 🤪tHaT dOeSn’T mEAn aNYtHiNg!😜

The problem is when some guy’s wife tells him
    to put it away, he’s either too afraid to say no, or unable to explain to her why it is safe. 

And it’s easier to put it in the refrigerator. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Legume said:

This made my day. Thank you.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    fishlessman

Just because the manufacturer says so, and the FFA, and simple logic, 🤪tHaT dOeSn’T mEAn aNYtHiNg!😜

The problem is when some guy’s wife tells him
    to put it away, he’s either too afraid to say no, or unable to explain to her why it is safe. 

And it’s easier to put it in the refrigerator. 

i already have a condiment fridge and a beer fridge, now where to put the food...
    fukahwee maine

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    I still prefer my Mayo cold. 
    And I don’t understand why guys get neutered when they get married. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Huh.  I just checked the bottle of Duke’s in my frig and the label says, “For best results, refrigerate after opening”.   :s 
    I was raised being taught that the mayo in potato salad was what got all the picnickers sick….

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Botch said:
    Huh.  I just checked the bottle of Duke’s in my frig and the label says, “For best results, refrigerate after opening”.   :s 
    I was raised being taught that the mayo in potato salad was what got all the picnickers sick….

The potatoes are more likely to be the culprit. Old fried rice typically gets blamed for Bacillus cereus, but starchy foods (like potatoes) are culpable, too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Botch said:

it was the cantaloupe that got the picnickers sick unless it was homemade mayo which im not old enough to ever have seen at a picnic
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    been looking for sliced liverwurst for a room temp sandwich and a cold beer for lunch the last couple weeks, have lost hope in finding the deli liverwurst.

side note: there was no miracle whip, not as many haters as one would suspect
    fukahwee maine

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I don’t care how safe it is, when it starts to turn translucent at the edges, I’m out.  Probably just the emulsion falling apart, but I’m out.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Homemade mayo will be more likely to go bad@ room temp, it is made with raw eggs, commercial stuff has additives although there are some commercial producers that are going natural

Also, as stated above, double dipping adds to the party, that's why you will see squeeze bottles are ok @ room temp

At the end of the day, make your own, its easy and rule typically use what you make right then...eazy peasy..eggs oil salt acid
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Legume said:
    I don’t care how safe it is, when it starts to turn translucent at the edges, I’m out.  Probably just the emulsion falling apart, but I’m out.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    been looking for sliced liverwurst for a room temp sandwich and a cold beer for lunch the last couple weeks, have lost hope in finding the deli liverwurst.

side note: there was no miracle whip, not as many haters as one would suspect
    Now you did it!  I need to head to Baumgartner's in Monroe, WI for a Braunschweiger and Limburger Sandwich.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Did a Commissary run this morning, they had "blutwurst".
    I didn't buy any.  

No shortage of mayonnaises (mayonnai?) but imagine the AAFES use a completely different supply chain (for instance, can't find Duke's anywhere else in Utard that I've seen).    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Does this stuff have street value?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.