Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spice the site back up

Options
I love this forum.  Seems to maybe have drifted off some.  I'm sure someone's cooking something somewhere.  I've learned a lot from this place.  Maybe it's just me.  But relighting the fire.

What are some of the gadgets everyone owns but hasn't brought out in a while?

Or maybe what made you choose it in the first place, do you still use it or better yet would you recommend it?

I want a Dutch oven.  I need it to survive a 800 plus pizza oven as well.  Any tips?

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• DavidCrumpton
    DavidCrumpton Posts: 198
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Pizza oven doesn’t need to be $800. 
    I’d use just about anyone of the Ooni if I did already have something else. 

As for gadgets: I can’t live without the BBG Guru. I happened upon a green egg because I walked into the grill store and told them I wanted to start smoking merat. But, I wasn’t going to be the type to sit up all night to watch the fire. Now I have three eggs and two gurus. Guru kicked it up a notch for sleeping while you smoke meat . 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    This summer has been miserably hot, and I haven't egged much, even though its outside and my main meal in retirement is at noon (when my deck is still shaded).  Lots of gazpacho, baloney sammiches, tomato sammiches, sushi, salads, etc.  
    Did cook up a pot of green chile stew this morning, ridiculous for August, but I haven't had Hatch for almost a year (mebbe post a pic tomorrow).  
    Give me a few more weeks, and I'll prolly be posting more egged stuff.  Right now, its just too hot outside.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Botch said:
    This summer has been miserably hot, and I haven't egged much, even though its outside and my main meal in retirement is at noon (when my deck is still shaded).  Lots of gazpacho, baloney sammiches, tomato sammiches, sushi, salads, etc.  
    Did cook up a pot of green chile stew this morning, ridiculous for August, but I haven't had Hatch for almost a year (mebbe post a pic tomorrow).  
    Give me a few more weeks, and I'll prolly be posting more egged stuff.  Right now, its just too hot outside.  
    It has been hot here in Utah, I have stayed inside as well.  However BBQ/grilling season is about to start with the heat coming to an end.  Cooking outside in Utah is best from Sept-April.  Cant wait.

Cant wait to see the green chili stew, sounds ridiculous.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Pizza oven doesn’t need to be $800. 
    I’d use just about anyone of the Ooni if I did already have something else. 

As for gadgets: I can’t live without the BBG Guru. I happened upon a green egg because I walked into the grill store and told them I wanted to start smoking merat. But, I wasn’t going to be the type to sit up all night to watch the fire. Now I have three eggs and two gurus. Guru kicked it up a notch for sleeping while you smoke meat . 
    800 degrees.  Sorry.  Ment a Dutch oven that can survive the heat.
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Just ordered me a Thermoworks Thermapen ONE. Coming today. Can’t wait. Have had my MK4 for a solid 5 years and it’s goin nowhere, just wanted that 1 second tool in my arsenal.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Not sure what you mean? John and his buddies have been keeping this place great. They have atleast 20 troll accounts that post regularly.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I bought the Lodge enameled Dutch Dven for making chilli, etc. on the egg. I love it! But, I don't think any enameled Dutch Ovens are rated for 800°F that I have seen.  The Lodge is rated to 500°F.   

Bare cast iron can obviously survive the temperature.  However, your seasoning may not like getting that hot.  After all, that's how self-cleaning ovens work.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    I bought the Lodge enameled Dutch Dven for making chilli, etc. on the egg. I love it! But, I don't think any enameled Dutch Ovens are rated for 800°F that I have seen.  The Lodge is rated to 500°F.   

Bare cast iron can obviously survive the temperature.  However, your seasoning may not like getting that hot.  After all, that's how self-cleaning ovens work.
    Needless to say but I’ll still say it…even with naked CI, remember not to go direct from fridge into screaming hot pizza oven  ;)
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    We have a dutch oven and I use it all the time for artisan bread making.  It’s great for that.  You want something that would fit on a Large Egg, I assume?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    Lit said:
    Not sure what you mean? John and his buddies have been keeping this place great. They have atleast 20 troll accounts that post regularly.
    clown.  you make you’re own bed.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    clown.  you make you’re own bed.
    Oh look a troll
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Langner91 said:

Needless to say but I’ll still say it…even with naked CI, remember not to go direct from fridge into screaming hot pizza oven  ;)
    Yep, and always be careful handling these things after they come out of a hot oven.  They retain heat very well, and can still be hot to the touch long after coming off.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I have the 5qt from lodge and love it. The lid can double as a small skillet(we use it for fajitas). 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ha ha. I knew this was going to go sideways quickly. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Options
    Powak said:
    Just ordered me a Thermoworks Thermapen ONE. Coming today. Can’t wait. Have had my MK4 for a solid 5 years and it’s goin nowhere, just wanted that 1 second tool in my arsenal.
    I’m in the same boat and trying to put this purchase off as long as possible.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited August 2021
    Options
    What are you cooking in a DO at 800F?  Not being snarky. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Civil unrest and the pandemic might have had something to do with it? Just spitballing here. May impact some priorities.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Botch said:
    Being New Mexican: Greens Chili’s are life. I always get 30-40 lbs of roast each year. It last until the next buying cycle in Sept. which is coming up and time to buy for next year. 
    I eat the darn things almost everyday. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    Being New Mexican: Greens Chili’s are life. I always get 30-40 lbs of roast each year. It last until the next buying cycle in Sept. which is coming up and time to buy for next year. 
    Where are you at in NM?  I get out to ABQ and Los Alamos a few times a year (when there’s not a pandemic).
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    caliking said:
    The issue for me is its a larger wood only oven.  At generally 650ish it's great until you have to add a small log then it spikes if your not careful.  I'm thinking of saving the pan should it occur.  Pizze4
    Columbus, Ohio
  • DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Botch said:
    Where are you at in NM?  I get out to ABQ and Los Alamos a few times a year (when there’s not a pandemic).
    Clayton. A town of about 1200. I don’t live there anymore. Family still does. Since 1906 we have farmed an ranched there.  
    I am now in Texas the last 30 years. 
    I get back to Santa Fe, Taos, and home a bunch. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited August 2021
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    caliking said:
    The issue for me is its a larger wood only oven.  At generally 650ish it's great until you have to add a small log then it spikes if your not careful.  I'm thinking of saving the pan should it occur.  Pizze4
    The Lodge DO, posted above, is a great option.  Enameled CI may not be good for >500F. A couple of CI skillets would be nice to have, too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Options
    DavidCrumpton said:
    Ayup.  The Air Force stationed me at Kirtland for 5 years, that's how this german/norwegian gringo got hooked.  Just walking around and smelling a roaster on every corner, damn that's cool.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    DavidCrumpton said:
    Ayup.  The Air Force stationed me at Kirtland for 5 years, that's how this german/norwegian gringo got hooked.  Just walking around and smelling a roaster on every corner, damn that's cool.  
    I didn’t realize you’d spent time at Kirkland there, Botch.

Did you ever get out to this hole-in-the-wall burger joint they have at the outskirts of the base?  I’ve been once, and if I recall correctly they had a mighty fine green chili burger.  
  • Botch
    Options
    I'm sure I have, love me a green chile cheeseburger (Owl Cafe?  Rex's?)
    And the best enchiladas were at Sadie's.  Used to be in the back of a bowling alley, they opened their own place while I was there ('87-'92) and last time I visited they moved into even bigger digs.  
    The cafe at the Sandia Peak Ski Area had a great burger, too.
    And I know what I'm cooking next when I finish my green chile stew...  :triumph:  

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Botch said:
    And the best enchiladas were at Sadie's.  Used to be in the back of a bowling alley, they opened their own place while I was there ('87-'92) and last time I visited they moved into even bigger digs.  
    And I know what I'm cooking next when I finish my green chile stew...  :triumph:  
    There is nothing like a green chili burger, except green chili stew, well anythin with green chili. My wife makes a green chili, cheese sausage, and egg breakfast casserole that we eat 3-4 times a month.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Botch said:
    There is nothing like a green chili burger, except green chili stew, well anythin with green chili. My wife makes a green chili, cheese sausage, and egg breakfast casserole that we eat 3-4 times a month.
    Chili on bottom topped with eggs, sausage and cheese?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DavidCrumpton
    Options
    Botch said:
    Chili on bottom topped with eggs, sausage and cheese?
    All mixed together and baked. 
  • Botch
    Options
    DavidCrumpton said:
    Huevos Rancheros and green chile cornbread are right up there, too.   :)