Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg versus Traeger Grill

13»

Comments

• Any pellet heads developing a decent smoke profile on a pellet grill?  I have tried two different brands of pellet grills and three different brands of pellets including ones made from 100% smoking wood, not hardwood with smoking wood oils added.  Also tried a tube smoker without much success.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Any pellet heads developing a decent smoke profile on a pellet grill?  I have tried two different brands of pellet grills and three different brands of pellets including ones made from 100% smoking wood, not hardwood with smoking wood oils added.  Also tried a tube smoker without much success.
    Super new to owning Pellet but visit VWB site all the time.
    What most are saying, the percentage of the actual labeled wood in each pellet is only about 30%. So if you buy 100% Wood Apple pellets, you get 30% apple wood with 70% filler wood with almost zero flavor.
    Friend in MN puts wood chips in a cast iron smoker box on lower flavor bars to add more smoke when needed.
    Also, every model seems to have a sweet spot temp where it smokes better vs burns cleaner.
    Far from stellar help, but better than no help.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas

• My bil uses one of these on his keg smoker and likes it.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Photo Egg said:
    The biggest thing that bugs me about pellet grills is they require an outlet. I don't like the idea that if my power goes out I can't cook food on it. With the winterpocolypse we had back in February I liked knowing that had I lost power for any extended period of time I could have cooked everything I needed to on my Eggs without concern. It also annoys me that because they require zero skill to use, every manbun wearing, latte drinking millennial idiot thinks they are Aaron Franklin or Ronnie Scott now.
    Besides needing a plug for electrical, the pellet grill has moving parts and several things that can fail and stop it from working. The electrical control box unit, temp probe, fan, auger can jam, auger motor and glow plug to name a few. Also has constant fan noise. Sound levels different on each model.
    The zero skill comment is similar to the way Traditional BBQ, Offset Smoker users, talk about Ceramic Grills. Most people are not looking to learn a trade skill. They just want good food on the table.
    There is an active member on the VWB site in his 80s. He said adding a pellet grill has allowed him to continue enjoying cooking and smoking and hopes for many more years of doing it.
    I do love the diversity of the people on this forum. So many types of cookers are talked about and used. Always something new to learn.

Very true, a 1 cent cotter key that couples the drive motor to the auger can shut the whole smoker down. They are engineered with many points of complete failure. Luckily I haven't experienced any issues, but I always worry when I load the smoker up with 15 butts, especially when they are all sold and people are depending on them for a holiday.
  • Photo Egg
    Foghorn said:

My bil uses one of these on his keg smoker and likes it.
    I prefer to buy smokers that don't create a need for me to buy a smoker.   =)
    The above product is designed specifically for cold smoking. Most Cookers will not allow you to easily cold smoke. This fills the gap. 
    The BGE requires you to add wood chips or chunks to get the smoke flavor you prefer. So expect a pellet grill to be no different for someone wanting more smoke flavor.
    But I get your humor in it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited August 2021
    I have found using the Lumberjack brand 100% Hickory pellets gives a much better smoke flavor. The 100% pellets can over-smoke the meat, depending on a person's individual tolerance to smoke, and some say they can produce a bitter smoke. I have not experienced this on my smoker, likely due to only running at the lowermost smoke-producing temperature for about 8 hours, and then increasing the temp to produce a cleaner burn.

• Photo Egg
    GregW said:
    I have found using the Lumberjack brand 100% Hickory pellets gives a much better smoke flavor. The 100% pellets can over-smoke the meat, depending on a person's individual tolerance to smoke, and some say they can produce a bitter smoke. I have not experienced this on my smoker, likely due to only running at the lowermost smoke-producing temperature for about 8 hours, and then increasing the temp to produce a cleaner burn.

Could always mix them to taste. Thanks, good to know.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn said:

My bil uses one of these on his keg smoker and likes it.
    I prefer to buy smokers that don't create a need for me to buy a smoker.   =)
    Good stuff, to defend my bil, he uses it for cold smoking salmon and cheese like @Photo Egg said but I thought it was a fair suggestion for adding a bit of zip to a pellet pooper. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Nice breading @Photo Egg
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    This fruit blend is the only one used and it’s been great on everything. Will try the charcoal next. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    How the hell do i fix this posting sideways problem 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Mickey said:
    On my iPhone, the only way I can post vertical pictures and keep them vertical…is to edit and rotate photo 90 degrees, save it, edit it again and rotate it back and save it, Then post it.
    But it’s easier to always post horizontal photos on this forum.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    Mickey said:
    Edit the picture in the smallest way. That’s what works for me. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Mickey
    Mickey said:
    Edit the picture in the smallest way. That’s what works for me. 
    I did small edit AND IT WORKED

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    You can also game the system and take sideways pictures =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian