Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

State of the Forum

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and recently joined. What's up with the forum these days? It seems like a lot of the regulars aren't around as much and certainly not posting. Is this place dying a slow death?
Is morale down? Any insight?
Medium BGE
Somewhere in NC

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    A1_on_A5 said:
    Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and recently joined. What's up with the forum these days? It seems like a lot of the regulars aren't around as much and certainly not posting. Is this place dying a slow death?

posting is mostly done in a couple discussions on this forum now, the what are you doing threads, the what are you buying threads, the what are you chefing threads account for most of the posts
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    A1_on_A5 said:
    Hi everyone,

posting is mostly done in a couple discussions on this forum now, the what are you doing threads, the what are you buying threads, the what are you chefing threads account for most of the posts
    Yeah.  This.

I've posted several cooks on the "What are you cheffing tonight doctor" thread - because I didn't think they were worthy of their own thread (not a new recipe or a new cook, not great pics, etc).  However, I have wondered if that is a better way to go - or if we're better off with more threads about individual cooks.  To be clear, I haven't thought this about my own cooks but I have seen dozens of cooks on that thread that I thought would have been great sources for their own thread.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I'm mostly trying to avoid @JohnInCarolina and @foghorn

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    That's a good strategy @blind99.  Your execution of the strategy leaves something to be desired.

One day we'll meet in person - maybe October '22 at ACS in San Diego...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @foghorn san diego sounds great! svs meeting was there this year but i didn't make it. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I was thinking the same. Nary a shaving post to be seen. As noted by that guy without fish, I think it’s due to the fact that a few ego-driven (😉) members have created giant funnel threads that catch most of the content on this forum - cooks, consumerism and the stream of consciousness. 
  • They will be back when we get a republican back in the White House… if we still have one.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Well!!!! If the tolerant left weren't so intolerant. =)
  • PeteSliver
    PeteSliver Posts: 153
    Well!!!! If the tolerant left weren't so intolerant. =)
    No dog in this fight, but who left ?
  • Morale was at an all-time high when I was Prezzo
    I have a MiniMax on my golf cart
    Florida

• Well!!!! If the tolerant left weren't so intolerant. =)
    No dog in this fight, but who left ?
    I don’t know. Just make a sarcastic comment to follow the one about repubs coming back a few posts up. 
  • They will be back when we get a republican back in the White House… if we still have one.

It would be helpful if you were less vague about what you write.  Republicans or the White House, which are you thinking might go bye-bye?
    News flash, conservative repubs left town years ago.
  • Morale was at an all-time high when I was Prezzo

Morals too.
  • So everyone knows, I'm back!!!  Buffalo took me off forum probation yesterday.  Thanks to all that sent kind words and well wishes.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Morale was at an all-time high when I was Prezzo

Morals too.
    And morels. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Theophan said:
    For me, those discussions "hide" things I would have been interested in, but can't see without slogging through a bunch of unrelated stuff. I'm not good at being social, so what I used to love here was tons of separate posts about things people had cooked, recipes, etc., and I could tell by the title what they were.

Some people must like the way it is now, so they might as well do what they like, I guess. But for me, it's one of the reasons I don't come here as often as I used to. I'm glad I happened to check this evening and saw this. My 2¢. Probably worth less. ;) 
    I like to be able to identify threads that might interest me, and it is different now.  The usage here has changed, and it has caused a big change in who hangs out here (just an observation, not a negative or positive).  I am in the facebook groups, and there are way more discussions about egg cooking there than there is here.  I still check in here a few times a week, but if you want highly interactive egg stuff, this place is more facebook from a social point of view than facebook is if that makes sense.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    A1_on_A5 said:
    Hi everyone,

Don't panic,  the football is back and the forum springs back in to life...
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2605069#Comment_2605069
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    CPFC1905 said:
    A1_on_A5 said:
    Hi everyone,

Football has started and test match cricket is still going. What a time to be alive.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Eoin said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    A1_on_A5 said:
    Hi everyone,

Football has started and test match cricket is still going. What a time to be alive.
    Ignore the haters.  Probably one of those people who only likes rugby if the ball goes forward, they're all dressed as spacemen and whisper secrets to each other before the scrum type thing. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    They will be back when we get a republican back in the White House… if we still have one.
    I’m just curious - who are the regulars who aren’t here that you think will be back if and when this happens?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited August 2021
    Just fvking around man, I am glad that we can agree on a republican for prez next term.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Just fvking around man, I am glad that we can agree on a republican for prez next term.
    You’re confused.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I plan on being around more soon. I've had other commitments this summer but as school cranks up I hope to be back to posting again. All is well; just been busy with other things...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    The OT category has been moved to the 2nd or 3rd page on the mobile site so all the good entertaining stuff had been moved out of sight 🤷‍♂️

Someone had to explicitly call me out in an OT thread for me to realize that…

The dynamic has changed. Like mentioned earlier, moderators have moved the OT threads where a lot of the shenanigans took place. Now people usually post in a couple generic threads. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaeggheads_squirel
    edited August 2021

PigBeanUs said:
    Nola and John scared away stike, who scared away rubmyrock, who scared away Tweeve ®, who scared away justincaseyfelldown, who scared away wess, who scared away drBBQ, who scared away zippy, who scared away littleSteven, who started the forum originally, in an AOL chat room

everyone that’s left from the old days are basically bottom feeders, or selling something

problem is also that John and Nola run about twenty accounts, so the trolling is basically done by two people, and the food photos are one guy logging in under different names (fishlessman, i think, based on the forks in his photos and that they don’t appear on the weekends while he is away “fishing”)

WessB was never on this forum.  He was only on the original forum.  The incident there where he threatened gun violence resulted in a plea deal that included staying off the internet.  Once released and end of probation he never came back.  Rumor is he became photog for Raichlen.