Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Stash

Let’s talk about lump.  My wife likes to make fun of the amount of charcoal I keep, but I’m surely a light weight compared to some of you.  So, how much lump do you keep on hand?  Are you loyal to a particular brand?  

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
Memphis  

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Keep about 100# on hand. Fogo and Rockwood here
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    I usually have 4-5 bags on hand all the time. This year was the exception. Costco did their usual KJ lump sale this spring. The wife and I both ordered 8 bags, one hand not knowing what the other was up to. So at one point in April/May I was up around 20 bags. I’m probably down to 10 in inventory, all KJ or RW. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I keep 40-80 pounds around.

Calling @caliking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    @caliking probably wins for sure, but I keep enough for several months of cooking, so maybe 300lbs. One can not have too much charcoal!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    I usually have around 100 pounds. Not sure if I have ever dipped below 30, but I'm less concerned about it now that the local Ace regularly carries Rockwood and, more recently, a few other varieties I wouldn't feel bad using in a pinch.
    Stillwater, MN
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I keep 150 lbs or so on hand. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've been doing JIT with the lump supply chain recently because I haven't found a good deal to stock up with.
    edited August 2021
    Here's my current "stash" of 1bag. I have my plastic container out by the eggs full also so probably another 15lbs. Oh my how I feel so inadequate. I usually have no more than (2) 20lb bags at a time. I use my mini max 95% of the time and my large 5% so 40lbs lasts about 3-6 months depending on how much I use the eggs. Don't see the need to horde charcoal. Even through the pandemic I have had access to charcoal any time I needed it. I think 1 time April last year most of my local stores were out for a week or so and I had to buy a 10lb bag. That got me through a month or so. As far as brand I've been gravitating towards B&B lately cause it's a good price, widely available here in Texas and I don't have much of an issue with bad smoke from it. Love me some Rockwood too but the ace by me doesn't stock it and the closest store that does is 30miles away.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    I'm typically in the 60-120lb range, when below 60 I start looking to buy.
    Steady Wicked Good user since mid-summer of '20, RW disappeared from here that Spring and never went back to it once it reappeared.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    My low level alarm goes off at 6 unopened bags of Rockwood.  Then it's time for a 3 pack reorder.  No supply chain issues to date.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Amateurs…

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    I usually have around 120 lbs of Rockwood for the egg and 80 lbs of Kingsford for the PBC…
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    A bag or 2, store always has it, I will use there floor space .....firewood is another story
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    For years now I posted and tried to explain how I might appear to be a "lump-a-holic" since when I would get down to having only 500 pounds on hand I'd run out like a druggie needing a "fix" and buy hundreds of more pounds! 

Over the last 2 years I have tried to slim my stash down...I'm proud to post that I only have 490 pounds now! I think I might be getting over my stashing issue!

(now if you want to better understand please read on...back in 2000 when I bought my first egg there was only ONE lump source and that was the BGE dealer who assumed "no one grilled" in the winter so he only bought 200 pounds in September!!! Needless to say that idiot went bankrupt based on his brilliant mind! At that point of having only 20 pounds of lump to last me for months then I swore never again!)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I have a friend who's a farmer who has purchased pallets of lump at a time. I wish I had that kind of space. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I only have one and a piece bags of Rockwood on hand. When I open the last bag I will drive a half mile to ACE and buy another. I like to have one unopened bag on hand. On the other hand it’s hurricane season so I had better go lay in some emergency supplies.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i horded a dozen bags of royal oak during covid when cowboy came in short supply, im back to a bag a week of cowboy now. still have a couple bags of royal oak hidden for emergencies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    Before the pandemic I used to keep one bag by the egg opened and one in the garage unopened.  Then I couldn't find any lump near me and had to order online at higher prices.  Now I like to keep at least 5 unopened bags in the garage to ensure I can go a few months if needed.
  • womaus
    womaus Posts: 256
    Sitting on about 120lbs of assorted lump, and 80lbs of assorted briquets for the Webers.

I buy when the prices are decent, the wife stopped complaining long ago.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I like to keep about 200lbs, but currently at about 80lbs - lump is easy to find in Memphis, so very little anxiety when I get low. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    WeberWho said:
    I have a friend who's a farmer who has purchased pallets of lump at a time. I wish I had that kind of space. 
    It starts with letting go of the concept that garages are meant for parking cars =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    lkapigian said:
    A bag or 2, store always has it, I will use there floor space .....firewood is another story
    Same. I'm at 1 1/2 full cords of firewood
    Boom
  • So, I guess I am fortunate to live near the Rockwood source. I try to have 1 - 2 bags on hand and have two outlets within 10 miles of me. If one of them is out I go to the other, never struck out at both places. 

Cheers,
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I stopped hoarding it. With Atlanta Grill company down the road they always have atleast 5 good lumps for $40 for 2 20lb bags so I grab 4 bags normally. 
  • WeberWho
    caliking said:
    WeberWho said:
    It starts with letting go of the concept that garages are meant for parking cars =)
    I fully understand how that goes. Grills/smokers have took over my parking spot in the garage. Even the wife's car sits out most nights as I'm shuffling something around. We can get two vehicles in the garage if need be but it's much easier to roll a grill/smoker around if a vehicle or two sits out. Lump storage in the shed. 

I still wish I had more room....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Lit
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    WeberWho said:
    I fully understand how that goes. Grills/smokers have took over my parking spot in the garage. Even the wife's car sits out most nights as I'm shuffling something around. We can get two vehicles in the garage if need be but it's much easier to roll a grill/smoker around if a vehicle or two sits out. Lump storage in the shed. 

If you don't already have them these over the garage door storage solutions are great.
  • jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    I'm lucky that I have a guy that gets pallets of Rockwood delivered to his restaurant and 4 of us go in together to get really good pricing. Currently sitting at 460 lbs. stored in the basement. =)
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • WeberWho
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    WeberWho said:

If you don't already have them these over the garage door storage solutions are great.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have something similar for lumber. It's literally 8 grills/smokers is my issue. It's just easier to keep my vehicle parked outside when rolling one out to the driveway.

My goal was to rip down the deck and build a new one this summer. Unfortunately price of lumber disagreed. At some point the walkout below the deck will hold a good portion of the grills/smokers. A couple may end up leaving the fleet but the garage is a grill/smoker storage for the meantime. I can line the walls with grills/smokers if a bad storm rolls through for our vehicle's but easier to keep my vehicle outside at this point.  

Minnesota
  • Lit
    WeberWho said:
    Lit said:
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    WeberWho said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have something similar for lumber. It's literally 8 grills/smokers is my issue. It's just easier to keep my vehicle parked outside when rolling one out to the driveway.

My goal was to rip down the deck and build a new one this summer. Unfortunately price of lumber disagreed. At some point the walkout below the deck will hold a good portion of the grills/smokers. A couple may end up leaving the fleet but the garage is a grill/smoker storage for the meantime. I can line the walls with grills/smokers if a bad storm rolls through for our vehicle's but easier to keep my vehicle outside at this point.  
    You are better off than us. The garage is our gym so we can get one car in if we have to but thats like 30 minutes of work.
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    I typically have 6 bags in the garage. It's a tradeoff between space and availability. I like not having to scramble to buy a bag, but I still need to have room for the cars and motorcycles, etc.