Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    SonVolt said:
    lousubcap said:
    @SonVolt - how do you intend to finesse the cost and keep it submerged and undetected.  I may be old here but that is a trick I can learn and appreciate.  B)

With guitars I'd just sneak them up stairs and she'd never know the difference. This, this I haven't quite figured out yet. She's going to keep asking. I'm going to have to get creative... possibly even tell the truth. But let's not hope it comes to that. 
    Just stick a couple Weber decals on it and say it came from the garden section at Lowes.  =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    SonVolt said:
    With guitars I'd just sneak them up stairs and she'd never know the difference.
    I have done the same thing.  😉
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    lousubcap said:
    @SonVolt - how do you intend to finesse the cost and keep it submerged and undetected.  I may be old here but that is a trick I can learn and appreciate.  B)
    Cap - maybe he handles marriage like me. Separate bank accounts and separate bathrooms.  31 years of happy marriage. 

That's what we do. Works for us :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• I’m lucky, in that wifey rarely questions my guitar purchases. Make sure you’re buying below market value and you’ll never have to hide another acquisition.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    That is one happy kid good on you.
       I am a little skeptical of the 1/4” chain, it looks like dental floss compared to what I normally run but it will be damn handy.
    Smaller the kerf the faster it cuts.
     My biggest issue is with sharpening, I use a electric bench grinder and those tiny teeth will take some patience. You can cut faster with wider kerf chain but it requires more hp.
    I have a full size and a mini Stihl. I find the saw with the small kerf chain likes to fall off the bar/sprocket easily in brush or when used on angles. Go in as straight as possible and run it a little tighter than you would normally on a full size saw to save some grief
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Well we had to rotate the house and car to fit but you get the idea.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Eoin said:
    Our TV dealer came round to check why the sound bar wouldn't work a couple of weeks ago and spotted some faint lines on our 4 year old Samsung 55" TV. A full value credit under the 5 year warranty meant that we had to go bigger and better this time. 65" 8k is great for watching the cricket.

"Honey, does the new TV make me sound bar look small?"

Eoin said:
    Our TV dealer came round to check why the sound bar wouldn't work a couple of weeks ago and spotted some faint lines on our 4 year old Samsung 55" TV. A full value credit under the 5 year warranty meant that we had to go bigger and better this time. 65" 8k is great for watching the cricket.

"Honey, does the new TV make me sound bar look small?"

I was trying to avoid getting a new sound bar, given the cost of the telly.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    26" Brushless Hedge Trimmer:   

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Buying tires. I'm never buying Michelin again. The set I currently have on SWMBOs RX350 is the 2nd set of michelins I've put on that car and both sets lasted less than 30,000 miles. She is not even remotely an aggressive driver. I had 1 set on my 4runner years ago and they barely lasted 30,000 miles. Every other brand I've ever bought I can easily get 50,000 miles. I bought the Michelin's because they were recommended. I guess I know why, so they can sell you a crap set of tires every year and a half to 2 years. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    Buying tires. I'm never buying Michelin again. The set I currently have on SWMBOs RX350 is the 2nd set of michelins I've put on that car and both sets lasted less than 30,000 miles. She is not even remotely an aggressive driver. I had 1 set on my 4runner years ago and they barely lasted 30,000 miles. Every other brand I've ever bought I can easily get 50,000 miles. I bought the Michelin's because they were recommended. I guess I know why, so they can sell you a crap set of tires every year and a half to 2 years. 

just put michelins on dads 2001 tundra, a little over 60 k, usually gets around 80k but had a front caliber hanging up that wore one tire quickly. kumho is less money, seams to stick well towing in mud, tread doesnt look like it should (does not look aggressive at all) but theyve lasted over 50 k on the rover so far and track well on the highway. if i didnt live in new england i would put another 30 to 40k on them, will be replaced next year anyways. kumho tires are less expensive and mine have a 149 mph tire rating on them, thanks to covid i tested that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    If mileage is the most important criteria, you will be better off with cheaper tires.  If you want performance, you pay for it up front and with shorter tire life. 

There's an inverse relationship between tire life and safety from the traction standpoint.  Plenty of other criteria influence performance, but in general, you will get worse mileage and shorter tire life with increased traction, stability and control. 

Also, depending on the performance goals of a vehicle, the suspension and alignment may have more friction dialed in through toe-in, camber, etc.  The more stable you set up the car, the more friction.  A perfectly aligned car in pursuit of low friction will be harder to keep on a straight line over imperfection on the road. 

There's nothing, in general, wrong with Michelin tires.

If mileage is the most important criteria, you will be better off with cheaper tires.  If you want performance, you pay for it up front and with shorter tire life. 

There's an inverse relationship between tire life and safety from the traction standpoint.  Plenty of other criteria influence performance, but in general, you will get worse mileage and shorter tire life with increased traction, stability and control. 

Also, depending on the performance goals of a vehicle, the suspension and alignment may have more friction dialed in through toe-in, camber, etc.  The more stable you set up the car, the more friction.  A perfectly aligned car in pursuit of low friction will be harder to keep on a straight line over imperfection on the road. 

now can you explain why the what looks like no traction kumhos stick well in deep mud on my boat ramp yet wear like iron
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I've bought nothing BUT Michelins for 30+ years. Never dissapointed.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead

now can you explain why the what looks like no traction kumhos stick well in deep mud on my boat ramp yet wear like iron
    If all roads were made of mud, road tires would be designed more like paddle boat wheels where shape is more influential than tire compound.

Check this page to verify the mileage your particular tires are warrantied for...  https://www.michelinman.com/auto/assistance/warranty
    I have Michelin tires on my daily driver, they were replacements for the original equipment Goodyear tires.  About 4 years and 30,000 miles in they developed sidewall cracking.  Michelin replaced them, on a pro-rated basis, with no hassles.  I had about 50% tread left, so got the replacements 50% off.
    Could be worth checking into your warranty status.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304

I buy softer, more grippy, faster wearing tyres every time. I like stopping and going round corners quickly.
  • nolaegghead
    Eoin said:

I buy softer, more grippy, faster wearing tyres every time. I like stopping and going round corners quickly.
    Same, although I read an article a while back that made a point about hamstringing your performance car's performance with cheap tyres so it's easier to break the tires loose.  You learn driving that razor's edge at lower speeds and the fun factor is up there.  So I will run old tyres and actually bought a cheap set for my spare rims.

Mileage is most important. She drives a rx350 not an Audi R8. I've heard for years about how Michelin is "the best" tire. I guess I never thought to ask the question what criteria makes it "the best". If the primary criteria one is basing that statement off of is grip then ok, maybe so I dunno. For me tire longevity is the most important factor. I don't want "performance" tires. I have Kumho tires on my GX460 and like @fishlessman said they are great. Ordered a set for wifeys car. I have a set of all terrain cooper tires on my 4runner right now that have lasted 40,000 miles so far and barely look worn. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Here's site that has a lot of information regarding tire, wheels etc.  Worth a look sometime.
    https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead

Mileage is most important. She drives a rx350 not an Audi R8. I've heard for years about how Michelin is "the best" tire. I guess I never thought to ask the question what criteria makes it "the best". If the primary criteria one is basing that statement off of is grip then ok, maybe so I dunno. For me tire longevity is the most important factor. I don't want "performance" tires. I have Kumho tires on my GX460 and like @fishlessman said they are great. Ordered a set for wifeys car. I have a set of all terrain cooper tires on my 4runner right now that have lasted 40,000 miles so far and barely look worn. 
    That's kind of an important thing to mention.

You understand there are sports cars and trucks and onroad and offroad vehicles, each do certain things better.  Wanting tires that last 60k miles and not caring primarily about performance is a pretty narrow criteria. 

There are people that spend 10s and 100s of thousands of dollars on a vehicle that does something well and most of that something is highly dependent on the properties of the tires and none of it is dependent on how long they last.

So saying "Michelins suck" because they don't last long is like saying you suck because you hate your neighbor's bass boat in his side yard.  It doesn't paint a very accurate picture of you or the tires.

the head scratcher to me is that michelins are a hard tire and usually on the higher end for mileage. im thinking the alignment is messed up or it needs to be done right, ive seen things slip in the front end that wasnt tightened enough. ive seen the cracking in the sidewall before with them as well, but i think that problem  was short lived in the last few years. fords and dodges chew tires, wouldnt think this would be a problem with a lexus
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead

the head scratcher to me is that michelins are a hard tire and usually on the higher end for mileage. im thinking the alignment is messed up or it needs to be done right, ive seen things slip in the front end that wasnt tightened enough. ive seen the cracking in the sidewall before with them as well, but i think that problem  was short lived in the last few years. fords and dodges chew tires, wouldnt think this would be a problem with a lexus
    Michelin makes, like all the big tire companies - Goodyear, Continental, Bridgestone, a yuge variety of tires.  You're probably thinking about the high mileage warantees they include.  I *avoid* tires with high mileage warantees because they're typically hard, or noisy, or not grippy, but that's just me.  I think that high mileage thing is partially a gimmick for you to stick with their tires, get some credit for trade-in when they wear out faster than they're supposed to.  Whatever they're doing, it works, they're making money and they have fans (minus one, now).

Michelin makes, like all the big tire companies - Goodyear, Continental, Bridgestone, a yuge variety of tires.  You're probably thinking about the high mileage warantees they include.  I *avoid* tires with high mileage warantees because they're typically hard, or noisy, or not grippy, but that's just me.  I think that high mileage thing is partially a gimmick for you to stick with their tires, get some credit for trade-in when they wear out faster than they're supposed to.  Whatever they're doing, it works, they're making money and they have fans (minus one, now).

ive just seen michelins get the high mileage regularly, im not a fan. falken wild peak goes on next, never tried them but theres not much selection for a highway/off road tire that fits my 20 inch rims. hate on goodyears, sidewalls are too soft on truck tires. continentals dont work at all on my f550 if theres .001 inch of snow. they just need to make a 109v rated bfg ko2 tire, 20 inch rim, low profile to fit my current needs
    fukahwee maine

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    BEST Display might still be OLED.    LG sells panels to others....I think Panasonic and maybe Vizio?    could be SONY, too.    

My several year old B6 is STILL eye-catching and produces a remarkable picture.     full adjustable, too, IF you can brave the next level menu system, which I'm not dumb enough to do.   I LOOKED but didn't touch.  

Problem with Plasma?   HEAT and the fact that I don't think they could scale to 4k display.    I had one and it was a FINE picture, but kept the place warm....good in winter, bad in summer.

My LAST set of Michelin tires were about 8.5/32 tread depth NEW.   What happened to 10/32 or 11/32?    And they ARE my last set.     Bridgestones on the wife's Mazda6?    fine and nearly as grippy as the OEM Yokohama skins at a substantial savings.   Quiet, too.   
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2021

That's kind of an important thing to mention.

You understand there are sports cars and trucks and onroad and offroad vehicles, each do certain things better.  Wanting tires that last 60k miles and not caring primarily about performance is a pretty narrow criteria. 

There are people that spend 10s and 100s of thousands of dollars on a vehicle that does something well and most of that something is highly dependent on the properties of the tires and none of it is dependent on how long they last.

So saying "Michelins suck" because they don't last long is like saying you suck because you hate your neighbor's bass boat in his side yard.  It doesn't paint a very accurate picture of you or the tires.

Let me rephrase then, Michelin Tires do not suck for everyone. For me they do however suck based on the expectations I had of them. Which was for them to last far longer than a year and a half worth of mileage. I also found them to be noisy. I've had my wife's car serviced at the Lexus dealer up until about 30,000 miles ago and from that point forward by my brothers buddy who works extensively on Toyota and Lexus vehicles so I know everything is good from an alignment standpoint. I honestly think it's just the way this suv was designed. I'm not a gear head so I can't comment as to what it is about that vehicle but I've gone through as many tires in 6 years of ownership with that vehicle as I have 16 years of ownership with my Toyota 4Runner.

• nolaegghead
    Hey, in my book, anything that doesn't live up to advertised expectation, to some degree, sucks.  Sounds like you need some different tires.  Maybe there's a company out there that makes "Flintstones" that wear like rock.  I dunno.

What Frank (@lousubcap) posted is a good resource.  You can find exactly what you want and the customer review base is excellent....people follow up on their initial reviews with further reviews after mileage intervals.  The combination is a great resource that you should use.
  • What tire is in question?  Are we talking about Pilot Sports or an all season passenger tire?  Compound, tread pattern, alignment, and pressure all are a factor when it comes to wear.  Manufacturer aside,  this is what needs to be considered.  
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @TEXASALLCAPS meet @Begger, he’s the OG ALLCAPS  around here.

I’ve almost always bought Michelin, but the OEM’s that came in my F150 were garbage, traction and wear.  Don’t see them as replacements much, so probably something Ford asked for to save $.