Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Is "home test" not a cricket term?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Just used my lunch break to perform some mise en place for tonight’s stir fry. Peanut, coconut milk, lime and basil sauce. I have some chicken breasts thawing on the counter. All basil, onion and zucchini was home grown. The other veggies were store bought but were starting to turn. A good stir fry is the perfect antidote to that. Will serve on noodles made from spaghetti squash (from a neighbour’s garden). Once again, my pics fall far short of the artistry that some display on this forum. 

Sounds good, should try using Thai basil!
    We started growing it this year, doing quite well, plan to save seeds for next year.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Being a sailor, let me offer from my perspective-which is certainly not news to you.  
    Wanting it raw...no rain coat to be worn (aka bareback for the win) which is her test concern.  
    Didn't realize there are now home tests for STD's.  Learn something new every day here.  
    Decisions, decisions, decisions...up against the window of opportunity choice.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Foghorn said:
    Are you keeping up with The Hundred?
  • Bar
    Bar Posts: 166
    Where does one acquire one of those BigHorn salamanders? I am looking and can't find one.

Never mind. Amazon has them.
    I have one too and love it.  It is great for finishing a reverse sear.
  • Probably a ladyboy. RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!
  • Foghorn
    Eoin said:
    Foghorn said:
    Are you keeping up with The Hundred?
    No @Eoin.  Even though I played it once, cricket is one sport I haven't learned to love or follow.  I had to google to even confirm that you were indeed talking about cricket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Bar
    SonVolt said:
    Did you cook the steaks on this start to finish or reverse sear?  Are the taters underneath?
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Bar
    Botch said:
    And you go back, 
    Probably best not to go the first time. 
  • Foghorn
    Going to IHOP for dinner.  I'm not proud of it, but we've done this several times since the pandemic started.  It's usually not crowded and the harvest grain and nut pancakes are healthy - right?

(The fact that I eat them fully saturated in syrup doesn't negate that right?)

San Antonio, TX

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Foghorn said:
    Going to IHOP for dinner.  I'm not proud of it, but we've done this several times since the pandemic started.  It's usually not crowded and the harvest grain and nut pancakes are healthy - right?

https://youtu.be/zUsfrUtTZyU
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited August 2021
    lousubcap said:
    Being a sailor, let me offer from my perspective-which is certainly not news to you.  
    Wanting it raw...no rain coat to be worn (aka bareback for the win) which is her test concern.  
    Didn't realize there are now home tests for STD's.  Learn something new every day here.  
    Decisions, decisions, decisions...up against the window of opportunity choice.   =)
    Raw-doggin’ it!! 🙃🙂🙃
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Foghorn said:

It’s probably fewer calories than several pounds of brisket, if that helps.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Foghorn said:

I had a hankering for pancakes about a month ago, and headed to my local Village Inn.  They were out of business, and since then I've noticed all the local VI's are gone; did they go belly-up nationally?   :s 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Foghorn
    Foghorn said:

Or 30 slices of pizza...

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Foghorn said:

Brisket calories consumed outside one's own home don't count.  And CT (Central Texas) brisket calories have a negative impact.  
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Botch said:
    Foghorn said:

I had a hankering for pancakes about a month ago, and headed to my local Village Inn.  They were out of business, and since then I've noticed all the local VI's are gone; did they go belly-up nationally?   :s 

Three of the five VI's here are still in business.  The two that closed up did so a year or so prior to Covid, multiple failed Health Dept. inspections did them in.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Quite a few chains got pruned back during the plague. Locally Pizza Hut was one, though that was partly due to a lot of competition from better pizza on the high end and Lil Caesers and Dominos on the low end. All Pizza Hut had going for it was a lunch buffet and what is probably the best waitress that I have ever known. She handled the whole front of the house, she recognized your car in the parking lot and had your drink and booth waiting on you before you could get in the door.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited August 2021
    Signed in to check when I could donate blood again and discovered my antibody test at the end of June was positive.  Got moderna in the April/May timeframe so unsure if I had the rona or a function of the vaccine.  Skimming a web search it appears results may vary by what type of antibody test used.  Previous donation was between shots in April and was negative. 
    Went a couple weeks ago and they aren’t doing an antibody test anymore- or at least they are not publishing the results. They do ask if you have had the vaccine. 

PSA- apparently the blood supply is in a short supply situation like many of the things we buy. Would be great if everyone could help out.
    Greensboro, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Putting up shelves
    SonVolt said:
    Bar said:
    SonVolt said:
    Did you cook the steaks on this start to finish or reverse sear?  Are the taters underneath?

With the broiler I keep it dead simple. No dry brine, no reverse sear, no APL basting nonsense (which I love btw), I don't even add pepper - just season heavily with salt and go, just like the high-end steakhouses do.  The steaks get cooked start to finish on the broiler. Seared hard up close to the burner on both sides, then dropped down about halfway to finish through. 

The potatoes were quickly simmered in water to cook through, then chilled in ice water earlier.  Then I tossed them with oil and broiled them briefly until crispy (didn't take very long) then dropped them under the steaks to take on the fat drippings. 

Gonna try this method next steak cook.  With steak prices what they currently are I have been hesitant (scared) to try it this way.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Putting up shelves
    Nature abhors a vacuum.  I assume they are filled already? 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • ColbyLang said:
    Cringing and rejoicing at the same time. Both of my kiddos started school today. Masks on at all times. Socially distanced in the classrooms. Here we go. Hoping for a full school year!
    Wow. Your little ones start early! Late Aug is the earliest school starts here (Ottawa, ON, Canada). Best of luck to you!
  • My nephew started last Monday here.  Can't believe it is so early this year.  My brother, his dad, who is a teacher wasn't so happy about having to go back to school last month.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE