Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

8 Pork Butts on XL

Options
My wife was kind enough to volunteer me to cook for her grandma’s birthday dinner, which will be about 40 people. I’ve managed to fit 8 pork butts on the XL totaling 73 pounds. There’s a first time for everything..

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    That's awesome! Did you forget to put a 1 in front of the 40? That's going to be a bunch of pulled pork! Good eats ahead!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You will have a ton of leftovers!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    Wow!  How does one handle the rendered fat from that much pork on a Green Egg?  Seems like it would be impossible to contain.  I filled up an XL drip tray with about 20 lbs of butts recently. 
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    You’ve got leftovers for grandma’s next birthday with that many butts. I fed 80 with 6 butts and had leftovers. Hope you’re going turbo, lotta liquid to contain with that many on at once. Awesome cook for the XL tho
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Impressive cook to say the least.  Lookin good.  Did/do you plan to rotate them during the cook?
    Related: a good rule of thumb to use when guesstimating raw pork to cook for a group:  Each person will consume around 1/3 lb per serving.  40 people x 1/3 = 13+ lbs cooked pork.  Conservatively use a yield of 50% raw to cooked and you would need 26 lbs of pork, and more to ensure left-overs.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Looking good so far.  Keep the pics coming.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I see pork tacos on the menus for a couple of weeks,  but so delicious.   Awesome stack of meat
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude’s got it going on.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    WHOA!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Outstanding.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX